I'm a semi-newb with outdated stuff... HELP!!!

Techinator

So I know I got into the OSD game 2 years late. I just upgraded my old graupner radio to a taranis Q x7. At the same time of swapping out receivers I am putting in my first OSD. I have a naze rev 6-------OLD! I was putting the D4R-II on -,+, and PPM/1 and the telemetry wire on pin 8 as a soft serial. I have the osd going to uart 2 on pins 3 and 4. When I arm the osd stops working, when I disarm, the taranis looses all the telemetry info. Then, before it'll do anything I have to cycle the power. When I disable the uart for the osd it works again. That doesn't work the other way around. The OSD just won't work. So I think I want to replace the FC anyway, it's just outdated. The FC that I think is best suited for how I have everything set up is the Lux v2. I just want to be 100% sure that I will be able to use telemetry without replacing the D4R-II (with PPM) I already have as well as the extra uart for my osd. It would also be awesome if I could figure out if the naze can run an osd or is it really outdated.

Thanks!!:)

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I believe that the Naze32 only sends telemetry data when the board is armed, which is an unfortunate hardware limitation. If you are running a newer version of Betaflight, it is possible that you are just using too much CPU to do everything you want, you can check this in the status bar in the Betaflight GUI.

The Lux V2 should be able to do everything you need.

Techinator

I believe that the Naze32 only sends telemetry data when the board is armed, which is an unfortunate hardware limitation. If you are running a newer version of Betaflight, it is possible that you are just using too much CPU to do everything you want, you can check this in the status bar in the Betaflight GUI.

The Lux V2 should be able to do everything you need.

I checked the cpu... it never even gets above 15%. I feel like this is unusual I wouldn't rize no matter what I do. Also It seems the stop sending telemetry to the osd when armed and after disarming it stops functioning entirely.

Thank you so much!!!

Techinator

Just thought of another question that lowers me further to the newb category... What's the difference between linear and opto esc's? I realize opto have no BEC, but is there another difference? On this build I have 30 amp blheli esc's with a 5v 1a BEC. Can this type of esc be connected to a flight controller with no + pin for the esc's? One like the Lux that gets power direct from the battery?

Thanks again.:)

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
So called opto ESC's have no BEC. There are 2 kinds of BEC, Linear and Switching (sometimes called SBEC). You can still connect to the Lux with the signal and ground wires, but not the +5V wire. Just remove it from the ESC or cap it off with shrink tube.