I'm a Shark!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
We embark upon another journey of discovery! This one is for my uncle, @sundown57. He's 3d printing a Shark. Airplane, that is.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2865167

Does it fly? Can it really even be constructed? Well, we're going to find out!

If you've got a 3d printer and want to play, you are more than welcome to join in. @Wildthing and @sundown57 figured out how to get Cura into "Legacy Mode." You can swap back and forth, but what it means is that you can import the necessary profiles! Sweet! If you want to play, I'm sure that they will help.

I'm on a month-long odyssey to print as many gnomes as I can for my mother's birthday. In between, and mostly overnight, I intend to print this plane!

This is where it begins:

SharkNose.jpg

That's a beautiful piece of 3d sculpting that has just begun to print. I'll share photos tomorrow. :)

Join in if you've got the capability. To my knowledge there has not been a 3d printing group build on this forum. It should be fun!

@Wildthing @CarolineTyler @kilroy07 @SquirrelTail @Zetoyoc @CrazyFastFlying @bracesport @Jimun

I'm sure I'm missing many. Just the names of friends that came to mind. Feel free to tag anyone you think might be interested. :)

Let's print a plane together! :D

Last edited:

sundown57

Legendary member
We embark upon another journey of discovery! This one is for my uncle, @sundown57. He's 3d printing a Shark. Airplane, that is.

If you've got a 3d printer and want to play, you are more than welcome to join in. @Wildthing and @sundown57 figured out how to get Cura into "Legacy Mode." You can swap back and forth, but what it means is that you can import the necessary profiles! Sweet! If you want to play, I'm sure that they will help.

I'm on a month-long odyssey to print as many gnomes as I can for my mother's birthday. In between, and mostly overnight, I intend to print this plane!

This is where it begins:

View attachment 156115

That's a beautiful piece of 3d sculpting that has just begun to print. I'll share photos tomorrow. :)

Join in if you've got the capability. To my knowledge there has not been a 3d printing group build on this forum. It should be fun!

@Wildthing @CarolineTyler @kilroy07 @SquirrelTail @Zetoyoc @CrazyFastFlying @bracesport

I'm sure I'm missing many. Just the names of friends that came to mind. Feel free to tag anyone you think might be interested. :)

its funny cause i started this plane the first day i got the printer. So i have been using it to learn on. I have like 5 different colored parts and not even.. plus a lot of it is ABS. Should make it more interesting

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Print fail.

20200129_065923.jpg

It is a journey of discovery, after all. ;)

The profile has a print temp of 230c. That's really high for my PLA. I'm going to drop it to 200c. Everything else seems OK. We'll see what happens :).

kilroy07

Legendary member
So you’ve got yourself a printer too now huh buzz?
Congratulations and welcome to the club!
@sundown57 I’m guessing the kids got yours sorted out?

Thin walled printing really puts a magnifying glass to how well your printer is tuned. Get your extrusion multiplier off and you have walls with holes in them, etc. if you have a Bowden, your probably going to have stringing. Which isn’t helped by the higher temps. Too much retraction and you’ll have your first blocked nozzle (not fun) Lower the temps too much and the layers won’t be bonded well....
it can be frustrating (to say the least) but stick with it, it can be done!

I like that it has pretty standard equipment/battery requirements, I’ll dig around in my bone pile to see if I can toss one together. So, I might be in for this, but I already have the dark wing printed out (twice in fact, once in PLA and once in LW-PLA) And the builduary challenge to work on..... (did I mention that I’m back on the road?) 😂😢

Recently I got a couple rolls of something really interesting;
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/colorfabb-lw-pla-the-new-balsa.61730/#post-538425

A few test parts for the SR turned out REALLY promising!
Yea it’s a tad on the pricy side, but I’ve printed a lot and aren’t through half a roll yet.
(Something to consider later on)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member

This is where it begins:

View attachment 156115

@Wildthing @CarolineTyler @kilroy07 @SquirrelTail @Zetoyoc @CrazyFastFlying @bracesport @Jimun

I may try a cowl on my Anet A8 and see how it goes, was fiddling around with the settings in Cura and looks like no top or bottoms and 0% infill looks suitable.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
So you’ve got yourself a printer too now huh buzz?
Congratulations and welcome to the club!
@sundown57 I’m guessing the kids got yours sorted out?

Thin walled printing really puts a magnifying glass to how well your printer is tuned. Get your extrusion multiplier off and you have walls with holes in them, etc. if you have a Bowden, your probably going to have stringing. Which isn’t helped by the higher temps. Too much retraction and you’ll have your first blocked nozzle (not fun) Lower the temps too much and the layers won’t be bonded well....
it can be frustrating (to say the least) but stick with it, it can be done!

I like that it has pretty standard equipment/battery requirements, I’ll dig around in my bone pile to see if I can toss one together. So, I might be in for this, but I already have the dark wing printed out (twice in fact, once in PLA and once in LW-PLA) And the builduary challenge to work on..... (did I mention that I’m back on the road?) 😂😢

Recently I got a couple rolls of something really interesting;
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/colorfabb-lw-pla-the-new-balsa.61730/#post-538425

A few test parts for the SR turned out REALLY promising!
Yea it’s a tad on the pricy side, but I’ve printed a lot and aren’t through half a roll yet.
(Something to consider later on)
I had at first balked at the price of that lw pla but if you are printing at 30 or 40 percent flow due to foaming then you'd sort of have twice as much material let roll. I may reconsider purchasing some.

As for the shark.,. I am nearly finished printing my first plane and may give this one a try soon. I'll keep an eye on progress here.

sundown57

Legendary member
I had at first balked at the price of that lw pla but if you are printing at 30 or 40 percent flow due to foaming then you'd sort of have twice as much material let roll. I may reconsider purchasing some.

As for the shark.,. I am nearly finished printing my first plane and may give this one a try soon. I'll keep an eye on progress here.
What plane did you end up printing and have you have any trouble getting the settings right for lightweight and thin walls?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I may try a cowl on my Anet A8 and see how it goes, was fiddling around with the settings in Cura and looks like no top or bottoms and 0% infill looks suitable.
All true. You really need the profile to print the part, though. Outer wall thickness of one, with an inner of 2. So on and so on. It's pretty in-depth. :)

That being said, I still haven't printed it, successfully. :oops:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Well, here's the result:

20200130_080959.jpg

It's not a temperature issue. It's literally printing stuff it shouldn't be. I'm at a total loss, here.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Cura has a long sorted history with thin wall prints.
I went ahead and purchased Simplyify 3D on the recommendation of 3D LabPrint.
It’s NOT free... so won’t be a solution for everyone.

I’m sure you’ve found a ton of YouTube videos on the subject but one thing I sometimes do is you can slice to Gcode, then open the gcode file in the slicer and see what you would get without actually printing it out and wasting filament.

Good luck!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Well, here's the result:

View attachment 156236

It's not a temperature issue. It's literally printing stuff it shouldn't be. I'm at a total loss, here.
I’m not exactly sure what is the extra part, but if it’s the sort of Diagonal part in the bottom left-hand corner the part that looks like it might be attached to the center brace then I’m guessing that’s not a part it’s oozing from the nozzle or stringing. so you might want to check your retract settings I wouldn’t go too far though you get above about 5 mm on an ender and you’ll have trouble did you upgrade your Bowden tube, Or is the tube blue or white?

whackflyer

Master member
Well, here's the result:

View attachment 156236

I've been having that problem also, it's because for some reason on those travels, it's not retracting 🤔 this causes massive strings and then when it starts again it leaves holes in the print. I know I could turn my extra prime amount up to fix the holes but that still won't fix stringing. I was trying to print @localfiend northern Pike but I pretty much gave up due to stringing. I guess if I want to print thinwall I'll have to buy simplify3d.

whackflyer

Master member
I’m not exactly sure what is the extra part, but if it’s the sort of Diagonal part in the bottom left-hand corner the part that looks like it might be attached to the center brace then I’m guessing that’s not a part it’s oozing from the nozzle or stringing. so you might want to check your retract settings I wouldn’t go too far though you get above about 5 mm on an ender and you’ll have trouble did you upgrade your Bowden tube, Or is the tube blue or white?
I'm running 7.5mm on my ender with Capricorn PTFE. No problems so far. I had to turn it up to stop stringing and that's where it stopped. Have had zero clogs so far.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I printed 3dlabprints Il-2 Sturmovik It came out great. I reprinted several parts as I was learning settings and my parts had lots of stringing too. I did manage to fix it though. I received .stl files and pre made .gcode files. the .gcode files actually work quite well to make the thin wall part but had lots of stringing and would look like the one posted above and would almost appear to have extra walls because of it. not quite as bad as the one pictured above but close. I played around in cura for a while and got it looking super clean. my only gripe was that in the cura setting that was clean I could see more of the ribs extending through the skin. (i later fixed that) so i went back to the original .gcode and learned some code so i could adjust the retracts in a text editor. using replace all. I changed from a retract of .8mm to 3.5mm and added a bit of prime to it just before the next line of print. It isnt perfect. but the stringing is gone and the parts are thin and strong. I actually came out a tad under the weight suggested.
IMG_20200128_115042.jpg IMG_20200129_141504.jpg

Wildthing

Legendary member
I'm printing the same part as you. I printed one at 200 and the bottom was open. went into Cura , changed temp from 200 to 220. and the second one printed a cover on the bottom layer. go figure.
I am in the habit now of always looking at the preview and looking at each layer closely before I print, sometimes the meshes are just screwed up.