I'm a total Noobie to RC aircraft and have some questions

JennyC6

Elite member
for planes, you could even get an 8 year old Futaba 7c and fly pretty much any plane out there. Rxs are still made. However, since you are looking to do quads as well you will want to look for stuff that is only a couple years old.

According to Futaba's own receiver wizard, the 7c will bind with the R7006SB, which has both S.Bus 1 and S.Bus 2 support. And if the FC in question is fine with S.Bus 1, there's five seperate choices, four of which are likely much cheaper than an 18 channel monolith.

You can totally use a Futaba 7c to fly a quad.

Mad_Mechanic

According to Futaba's own receiver wizard, the 7c will bind with the R7006SB, which has both S.Bus 1 and S.Bus 2 support. And if the FC in question is fine with S.Bus 1, there's five seperate choices, four of which are likely much cheaper than an 18 channel monolith.

You can totally use a Futaba 7c to fly a quad.

This is admittedly where my lack of experience shows: quad/multi-rotor support.

It was my understanding that you needed programming support in the radio for these birds, but if all the fancy stuff is handled in the FC and all you need is an sbus RX then yeah, the 7C will do that.

And to save money, FrSky makes Futaba FASST compatible receivers, most of which have sbus. That's why I have more FrSky receivers than Futaba receivers that I'm trying to sell with my 7c radio.

Good information to know on the sbus RX.

JennyC6

Elite member
This is admittedly where my lack of experience shows: quad/multi-rotor support.

It was my understanding that you needed programming support in the radio for these birds, but if all the fancy stuff is handled in the FC and all you need is an sbus RX then yeah, the 7C will do that.

And to save money, FrSky makes Futaba FASST compatible receivers, most of which have sbus. That's why I have more FrSky receivers than Futaba receivers that I'm trying to sell with my 7c radio.

Good information to know on the sbus RX.
i've got a betaflight FC in my Spear for driving the OSD and it does all the mixing you'd want. Its wing specialized but it outright says to turn all Tx mixes off and to program them in the FC instead.

Riptyde

Foamboard's awesome stuff! You can do some crazy stuff...I'm working on nitro powering as many FT Speedbuild kits as I can. And surprisingly enough, I don't have any major issues with fuel attacking the foamboard!

The limit's your budget and your creativity. Go nuts! And the best part is they tend to just bounce, plus if you total out an airframe you're not out much money.

That's what has me most intrigued. I wanted to get into flying before but never liked the idea of crashing a plan and having to shell out for another one. FC may take a day or two to rebuild but you are back up in the air at a low cost.

One more question on TX's . Can different brands work as trainers - connecting to another TX while training.

JennyC6

Elite member
That's what has me most intrigued. I wanted to get into flying before but never liked the idea of crashing a plan and having to shell out for another one. FC may take a day or two to rebuild but you are back up in the air at a low cost.

Day or two? Unless you ROYALLY stuff it in you can usually just brush the dust off of it, reposition the battery, and chuck it right back up into the air. Or maybe just replace a prop. And even if it is badly damaged, no more than a couple hours with the hot glue gun and it's good to go.

One more question on TX's . Can different brands work as trainers - connecting to another TX while training.

Only if they're compatible. Might be a thing with the open ones, but the major brands tend to lock in. IE, Spektrum to Spektrum, Futaba to Futaba, et-al.

You don't really need to buddybox with foamboard, though. Especially if you get a mighty mini. A LongEZ, Mini Sportster, or the Arrow flying wing, all very small, very light, very cheap, and they'll just bounce when they crash.

Riptyde

Yeah right after shutting down my computer I realized the answer to my last question.

Day or two? Unless you ROYALLY stuff it in you can usually just brush the dust off of it, reposition the battery, and chuck it right back up into the air
True enough. I'm sure to stuff it in a time or two though 😀

The buddy box thought was more about helping my 7 year old daughter learn to fly. After I have learned.

Anybody else have kids that young learning to fly? Is that too young? Hands too small for the TX? General coordination and focus to fly?

mayan

Legendary member
Yeah right after shutting down my computer I realized the answer to my last question.

True enough. I'm sure to stuff it in a time or two though 😀

The buddy box thought was more about helping my 7 year old daughter learn to fly. After I have learned.

Anybody else have kids that young learning to fly? Is that too young? Hands too small for the TX? General coordination and focus to fly?
I am going to start training me 8 and 6 yr old soon so I’ll be able to share some information along side some tips if you want.

Riptyde

I am going to start training me 8 and 6 yr old soon so I’ll be able to share some information along side some tips if you want.
That would be fantastic. I'm sure others would find this interesting. A new thread on this topic would probably be helpful for others to find too.

If I think of it tonight I will start a new thread with this same question. There are probably many who have already experienced this and can give their thoughts and tips too.

mayan

Legendary member
That would be fantastic. I'm sure others would find this interesting. A new thread on this topic would probably be helpful for others to find too.

If I think of it tonight I will start a new thread with this same question. There are probably many who have already experienced this and can give their thoughts and tips too.
Will do soon.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Day or two? Unless you ROYALLY stuff it in you can usually just brush the dust off of it, reposition the battery, and chuck it right back up into the air. Or maybe just replace a prop. And even if it is badly damaged, no more than a couple hours with the hot glue gun and it's good to go.

Only if they're compatible. Might be a thing with the open ones, but the major brands tend to lock in. IE, Spektrum to Spektrum, Futaba to Futaba, et-al.

You don't really need to buddybox with foamboard, though. Especially if you get a mighty mini. A LongEZ, Mini Sportster, or the Arrow flying wing, all very small, very light, very cheap, and they'll just bounce when they crash.

SOMETIMES they can. I've seen a Graupner to Spektrum (or maybe the other way around), but they were able to do trainer connections. That said, it was ONLY via wired connection, even though the Graupner boasted a wireless trainer like the Spektrums. Honestly, though, I wouldn't count on it happening.