I'm Baaaaa aaaaaaaaaak!!!!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@rockyboy It doesnt matter what neighborhood I go to. It is ALWAYS "enhanced" upon my arrival. o_O

@CarolineTyler All that cream did was gum up my gears and attract dust. Thats why I was absent so long. getting that stuff outta my inner workings was a chore. :ROFLMAO:

@Piotrsko there are no skills here mate. My entire life is ruled by Bills Law and success in ANYTHING I do depends solely on its mood. :censored:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
While I thoroughly enjoyed your alter egos name, I'm glad to have Psyborg Back.
What're you up to lately. What do you think about the DJI Digital AV system?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Working on staying sane as the winter blahs are already setting in. Daylight savings change always hits me hard. I start looking forward and counting the days left til Dec 20 when the days start getting longer again.

Its great for the hobby as it will push the tech forward. Sadly its just not there yet specially for reliable FPV on quads. Too big too expensive to change over ALL your quads to the system. Its proprietary AND its DJI. I cant force myself to get on that bandwagon. (yet?)

I DO however have a video project I am working on spoofing them so that could turn out interestingly funny.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Likewise mate. You have been awol for a time as well.

Yeah, took some time off due to some forum drama that I'd rather let die, came back when you said you were back. :)

Working on staying sane as the winter blahs are already setting in. Daylight savings change always hits me hard. I start looking forward and counting the days left til Dec 20 when the days start getting longer again.

Its great for the hobby as it will push the tech forward. Sadly its just not there yet specially for reliable FPV on quads. Too big too expensive to change over ALL your quads to the system. Its proprietary AND its DJI. I cant force myself to get on that bandwagon. (yet?)

I DO however have a video project I am working on spoofing them so that could turn out interestingly funny.

As for DJI, I feel much the same way. I feel like it's so much in its infancy, and there are latency issues with the digital broadcasting, some guys have been reporting increased failsafe issues when flying with other guys running analog, plus the cost for the system is so stinkin' expensive. I'd rather hold off and see what other systems might come out, like Fatshark's Byte Frost that allows you to potentially use existing headsets, and let the whole digital arena pan out a bit and work out some of the kinks first. Picture quality looks good, but I just can't justify it to myself, my wallet, or my wife yet.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
From what I see.. guys with the new DJI gear cant fly with an analog crew. Tommy (Ummagawd) did some testing and it seems when DJI and analog are on at the same time DJI repeatedly failsafes under specific conditions which are common.

The DJI system hogs up 2 channels and out puts enough to blast out normal pilots running reasonably normal power levels of 200 mw.

So right now only one or the other can be up at one time. I dont need anything better then what I rip on now. I dont fly bandos as there are none around. I dont do long range as its illegal and I aint walking that far to go pick up my junk when I crash. AND I despise DJI for how they influenced the industry in a VERY deceptive manor which started all this battling in the legal system over FPV to begin with.

Yes with the tech these days.. ANYONE can put a drone in the air... Only about 15 % can actually fly one.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
From what I see.. guys with the new DJI gear cant fly with an analog crew. Tommy (Ummagawd) did some testing and it seems when DJI and analog are on at the same time DJI repeatedly failsafes under specific conditions which are common.

The DJI system hogs up 2 channels and out puts enough to blast out normal pilots running reasonably normal power levels of 200 mw.

So right now only one or the other can be up at one time. I dont need anything better then what I rip on now. I dont fly bandos as there are none around. I dont do long range as its illegal and I aint walking that far to go pick up my junk when I crash. AND I despise DJI for how they influenced the industry in a VERY deceptive manor which started all this battling in the legal system over FPV to begin with.

Yes with the tech these days.. ANYONE can put a drone in the air... Only about 15 % can actually fly one.

Those are the many reasons why I don't want to use them, and why the FPV guys at my field are really reticent to make the jump - we can't race with someone who's running the system, and since many of the guys are JUST starting to get into the FPV scene with TinyWhoops (primarily due to cost investment), I would rather not have issues with someone blowing someone else out of the sky and causing a crash. That just generates unrest, and since many of these guys are older and don't...well, let's go with understand, I guess, but I don't feel that's the right word - the fun, enjoyment, and skill of flying FPV, I want a simple, cheap system that works reasonably well for them so they'll want to keep flying it, and maybe even expand into flying FPV with something other than a quad. :)

On a side note, I have someone who's reached out to our club that hasn't ever flown a quad before, and is taking a course to get her FAA Part 107; the class they're enrolled in is using a bunch of DJI Phantom V4s, and the person who reached out is having a problem passing their flight test with one. Apparently, they've never flown one before, never played video games, and has maybe 1 hour of flight time, total, in flying ANYTHING. Short of practicing, I'm not sure how they can establish muscle memory to fly it well enough to pass...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just started posting a video series on my take of learning to fly quads. I am not sure how well that would transition to phantoms but its meant for fresh fingers to do just that develop muscle memory and fine motor skills. as far as part 107 Stingersswarm is doing a course for part 107 thru a patreon type situation as well as divulging some of it to the public. He was a commercial airline pilot and is dialed in on all the requirements. If I could afford to go part 107 he would be the man I would see for all that.