Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Baby Blender

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Custom Scout Biplane

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@Arcfyre, I think it's got a cool, early biplane vibe going on. It looks good. If you end up with lateral movement of the top wing, you could always string it. That would only increase that classic vibe. Can't wait for flight video!

Arcfyre

Elite member
I've flown two more batteries through it since this morning. I've had to replace the gear mount as I broke it on my second landing. It wasn't a hard landing as much as it was under-engineered landing gear. Gear version 2 is reinforced with plywood and hot glue, and has held up well.

As for flying characteristics, I am very pleased. I don't have any expo dialed in, as I wanted to get a feel for the bird before I softened the characteristics. Roll axis is very smooth, so I wont be adding any expo there. I may actually up the throws a bit to get a snappier response in roll. Pitch is very sensitive, so I may add some expo there. Alternatively, I may add a touch more nose weight, as that may be a cause of the pitch sensitivity as well.

In the meantime, the wind has picked up, and this is definitely a calm weather airplane. The power system I went with is highly efficient, but not overpowered. It crusies all day at 30-50% throttle, and at 100%, it just makes more noise and doesn't move much faster, haha.

All in all, I am very happy how this one turned out. I'll need to paint it eventually, but it's getting almost too cold for rattle cans here, so it may have to wait for a warm day. Well worth the journey. Now I need a new project...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

I had to replace the power pod after this. Luckily, nothing else was damaged. It's a surprisingly durable airplane.
That didn't look like so much of a test as more of a OOPS :eek:. It's good it survived. Had the same thing happen to my Sportster a week ago, a branch tore through the wing tip undercamber and just fixed it last night. worked out well actually. I wasn't disappointed though, first time to do the knife edge :D

Arcfyre

Elite member
That didn't look like so much of a test as more of a OOPS :eek:. It's good it survived. Had the same thing happen to my Sportster a week ago, a branch tore through the wing tip undercamber and just fixed it last night. worked out well actually. I wasn't disappointed though, first time to do the knife edge :D

Lol, "durability test" was just me putting a positive spin on flying a perfectly functioning airplane into a tree on a calm, clear morning.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Dusting off this ancient post for some updates.

I've been flying the scout biplane prototype since last year and it has since become my favorite plane. Flies like a dream.

Today I finished version 2. Some changes, listed below:

-larger motor: 3515-1100kv
-larger prop: wooden 12x5 up from a plastic 10x4.5
-reinforced rear tail skid
-lower wing is now straight, no longer has dihedral.
-painted (badly)

The prototype was very tail heavy, and I needed to ballast the nose with $1 worth of quarters. Using a larger motor eliminated the need for ballast and allowed the use of a pretty wooden prop.

Got a quick maiden in, but it was a terrible idea. 15kt winds are way too much for this thing. Luckily got it down undamaged. Here's some pictures, enjoy.

Airplane.1.jpg
Airplane.2.jpg
Airplane.3.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
Dusting off this ancient post for some updates.

I've been flying the scout biplane prototype since last year and it has since become my favorite plane. Flies like a dream.

Today I finished version 2. Some changes, listed below:

-larger motor: 3515-1100kv
-larger prop: wooden 12x5 up from a plastic 10x4.5
-reinforced rear tail skid
-lower wing is now straight, no longer has dihedral.
-painted (badly)

The prototype was very tail heavy, and I needed to ballast the nose with $1 worth of quarters. Using a larger motor eliminated the need for ballast and allowed the use of a pretty wooden prop.

Got a quick maiden in, but it was a terrible idea. 15kt winds are way too much for this thing. Luckily got it down undamaged. Here's some pictures, enjoy.

View attachment 162779 View attachment 162780 View attachment 162781
Looks sweet.