I'm in trouble now...LOL

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
This past weekend, I went in to the local Joann Fabrics and Crafts store with my wife - she went in after jewelry making supplies, I went in after cheap glue guns and glue sticks for the Maker Faire I'm working in a few weeks.

My parents decided to tag along with us (my mom loves looking for craft stuff, and my dad and I were kind of talking out all of the supplies I'd need on hand for doing the chuck gliders we're going to build), and while we're there, my mom sees this giant foam glider on sale for $10.

"Hey, Doug! Look! You think you and your dad could turn that into an RC flier?"

"Yeah...we probably could; wouldn't take much, just put some control horns on, some medical tape along the hinge lines for the elevator, rudder, and ailerons; hardest part would be wiring the motor in, unless we make it a true glider and hope for a thermal or a good slope to soar it off of. Shoot, maybe we could even make it into a tow glider."

People in line started looking at me for coming up with these things off the top of my head.

My wife looks at me and goes, "You couldn't make that fly...Could you?"

"Hon, If the guys at Flite Test can make an IKEA chair fly, and do it in a 24 hour timeframe, I think we could make a glider like that into a remote control plane."

Someone in line looks at me and said, "Wait...Some guys made an IKEA chair fly?"

I told them to look it up on YouTube, search for Flite Test and IKEA chair...shortly after, as we're walking out of the store, I hear, "NO WAY! They actually made it fly! OMG - ma, remember that Lil Tykes red and yellow car I used to have as a kid? They made that fly, too!!!"

My wife just said, "Oh god, you've corrupted another soul."

mountaindewdude76

that's a great story! Love it!

My first rc plane was a $10 chuck glider that I converted to rc. After several crashes, I did manage to get the plane balanced out and it flew beautifully. I don't wanna hijack your thread but if you'd be interested in seeing my flight video, let me know. I'd be happy to share it.

sprzout

Mentor
You should have shown them Peter’s Star Destroyer. I think thats what got me hooked on FT

Oh, the kids who were pulling out their phones to watch the IKEA flying chair saw a bunch more FT vids in the YouTube feed; I'm sure they'll get to Peter's Star Destroyer. :)

And please! Show us your vids of your flight! As Psyborg says, "Vids/Pics or it didn't happen!" LOL

UCChris

MO Flight Crew
Thanks! That was my first rc plane and i flew it all that Summer and Fall. Then i ventured into foamboard planes and havent stopped yet lol

I hear you about the foam boards! I bought a UMX Whip-it and UMX Radian two summers ago, destroyed them from flying so much, pulled the guts out and built random micro flyers around the electronics and then left the hobby due to one of my hobbies becoming a full-time gig. I'm back now and jumping in with both feet with a 60" foam board glider!

mountaindewdude76

I hear you about the foam boards! I bought a UMX Whip-it and UMX Radian two summers ago, destroyed them from flying so much, pulled the guts out and built random micro flyers around the electronics and then left the hobby due to one of my hobbies becoming a full-time gig. I'm back now and jumping in with both feet with a 60" foam board glider!

A 60" foam glider would be awesome! Best of luck with the build!

I need to start a seperate thread that shows off all my foamboard builds. Many use our beloved Dollar Tree foamboard....several use that wall insulation foam from Lowe's.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I love your story!
I have done the same thing countless times. Where ever I go. corrupting others that is. I used to use the Fowl Flyer. or the star destroyer, but now the ikea chair is such a great story...

I just picked up an EPP glider I will be converting. This is going to be so much fun! the glider vid is a great example of what is possible.

Wingman04

This past weekend, I went in to the local Joann Fabrics and Crafts store with my wife - she went in after jewelry making supplies, I went in after cheap glue guns and glue sticks for the Maker Faire I'm working in a few weeks.

My parents decided to tag along with us (my mom loves looking for craft stuff, and my dad and I were kind of talking out all of the supplies I'd need on hand for doing the chuck gliders we're going to build), and while we're there, my mom sees this giant foam glider on sale for $10.

"Hey, Doug! Look! You think you and your dad could turn that into an RC flier?"

"Yeah...we probably could; wouldn't take much, just put some control horns on, some medical tape along the hinge lines for the elevator, rudder, and ailerons; hardest part would be wiring the motor in, unless we make it a true glider and hope for a thermal or a good slope to soar it off of. Shoot, maybe we could even make it into a tow glider."

People in line started looking at me for coming up with these things off the top of my head.

My wife looks at me and goes, "You couldn't make that fly...Could you?"

"Hon, If the guys at Flite Test can make an IKEA chair fly, and do it in a 24 hour timeframe, I think we could make a glider like that into a remote control plane."

Someone in line looks at me and said, "Wait...Some guys made an IKEA chair fly?"

I told them to look it up on YouTube, search for Flite Test and IKEA chair...shortly after, as we're walking out of the store, I hear, "NO WAY! They actually made it fly! OMG - ma, remember that Lil Tykes red and yellow car I used to have as a kid? They made that fly, too!!!"

My wife just said, "Oh god, you've corrupted another soul."
Did you give them this idea? ;)

sprzout

Mentor
Did you give them this idea? ;)

Lol no, my mom and my wife did that to me and my father; it was rather hilarious when people at the registers started looking at us verbally dissecting this kit and how we could do it:

“Couple of 9 gram servos, a 2s battery, 10 amp ESC - 20 if we run a small motor to pull it up to the thermals...wouldn’t take much at all!”

😂 it was more the reactions about the flying IKEA chair that surprised people. 😁

I think that’s a great part of FT - they kind of build the unexpected, and get them flying. Fidget spinners, the Star Destroyer, the chair, even the flying cinder block. I think those are INCREDIBLY important because it makes people go, “Wow, I can actually make that happen!” That’s what spawns interest. I mean, I’m already pegged in my club as “the guy with the flying pig”, even though it only flew for about 15 seconds before biting the dust...and it’s done because 1) it made everyone laugh, 2) people have been coming to the field more to see what wacky creations we might have next, and 3) they want to bring their families to see something other than the same 3D fliers and warbirds that come out every week.

All of this reminds me that I need to finish up lighting my Mustang for a few weeks from now; we’re going to do some night flys, and i’d Love to participate!!!

Mach_3

This thread is priceless... I'm interested in the glider, is it from plans or from scratch? If from plans, which ones? I've been wanting to build the FT simple soarer or some similar powered glider. What do you guys think?

UCChris

MO Flight Crew
This thread is priceless... I'm interested in the glider, is it from plans or from scratch? If from plans, which ones? I've been wanting to build the FT simple soarer or some similar powered glider. What do you guys think?

It's a scratch build. The easiest way is to get the Simple Soarer speed build kit.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Think we need to have a Wally World glider Mass build/fly at FFE! Maybe even a Combat session!