I'm new around the FT Forums, here's my EDF Afterburner:

HB Stratos

Hey there everyone! I finally got a FT Forums account and I thought I'd start it off with some pictures of the Afterburner I'm currently working on. It features some quite substantial improvements over David's design and is almost flight ready.

[SPOILER="Images:"]
Screenshot_20191026-182808.jpg

Picture take during first igntion at 50% throttle

Screenshot_20191215-170224.png

Ignition system test
Screenshot_20200208-135531.jpg

Afterburner at max throttle and 50% gas, this test was made during a bright day so the flame is not very visible
[/SPOILER]

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
Very nice afterburner. Are you using a stun gun module for the ignition? What are the substantial improvements that this design has over the David's one? I have also made an afterburner lately, but it is not ready yet. I have to put the heating coil behind the burner, now it has an electrical heater. Also I dont have an ignition since I can't get stun gun modules where I live. Im going to try to use resistor wire coil.

Attachments

• afterburner.png
    afterburner.png
    719.9 KB · Views: 0
  • afterburner2.png
    afterburner2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200217_161402.jpg
    IMG_20200217_161402.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200217_161418.jpg
    IMG_20200217_161418.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0

HB Stratos

@Flitedesign 3d I also can't get a stun gun here, I am using this (can't find the link, just a cheap HV generator from china, stun guns are FAR too powerful). Don't try glowing resistors, this just won't work for anything bigger than a 50mm edf.
Improvements on mine are:
  • using a heating coil directly in the flame
  • using a butane/propane mixture as gas because it takes less energy to get into gas form
  • not using part of the eflux ring - which is directly connected to the motor - as a pole for the HV igniter (This is what most likely killed the afterburning viggen)
  • not using a electrically heated coil, saves power an is not required in my testing
Currently I'm still looking to get a 70mm 12blade EDF to upgrade my testbed before I implant that design into a FT X-29, my selected testbed

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
@Flitedesign 3d I also can't get a stun gun here, I am using this (can't find the link, just a cheap HV generator from china, stun guns are FAR too powerful). Don't try glowing resistors, this just won't work for anything bigger than a 50mm edf.
Improvements on mine are:
  • using a heating coil directly in the flame
  • using a butane/propane mixture as gas because it takes less energy to get into gas form
  • not using part of the eflux ring - which is directly connected to the motor - as a pole for the HV igniter (This is what most likely killed the afterburning viggen)
  • not using a electrically heated coil, saves power an is not required in my testing
Currently I'm still looking to get a 70mm 12blade EDF to upgrade my testbed before I implant that design into a FT X-29, my selected testbed
Sounds really good! Keep us updated when you build it in the jet!