Help! I'm New!

Chillmonge

Hi, I am new to RC planes and I have a few questions.

1. How do I start?

2. Can I fly a plane without using a simulator (My computer doesn't support the software)?

3. What kit should I get. I want it to be good for beginners. For example, I want it to be durable, relatively easy to assemble (it can be challenging to assemble, I just don't want to mess up the entire plane by getting a cut wrong or something), and landing gear is optional but it seems important for a beginner to have.

4. Do I need a laser cutter to build custom planes? Building custom planes seems like a fun thing to do in the future, but I'll never be able to afford a laser cutter.

5. Is flying RC planes hard or expensive?

Please leave share any information/links that will help me answer these questions!

Thanks!!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Hi, I am new to RC planes and I have a few questions.

1. How do I start?
there are multple ways, but generally, pick a plane friendly to learning to fly, built it and start flying
2. Can I fly a plane without using a simulator (My computer doesn't support the software)?
yes, simulator just saves you from having to rebuild when crashing while your learning.
3. What kit should I get. I want it to be good for beginners. For example, I want it to be durable, relatively easy to assemble (it can be challenging to assemble, I just don't want to mess up the entire plane by getting a cut wrong or something), and landing gear is optional but it seems important for a beginner to have.
I have a 'getting started cheap' link in my Signature, you can get going for around/under $200 if you focus on keeping your price down.
4. Do I need a laser cutter to build custom planes? Building custom planes seems like a fun thing to do in the future, but I'll never be able to afford a laser cutter.
nope, you can build foam board planes with just a hobby knife/razor blade to cut it out and glue to put it together. watch the build of the Tiny Trainer and you will learn all the needed skills to build. Cutting out plans isn't covered, but that is basically following the lines.

that is all relative... it is hard when you start, but gets easier as you learn.
expensive - depends on your definition of expensive and what you choose to build/etc. As I pointed out above, you can get started around $200 and I saw someone flying a plane that was probably more expensive then my car a few weeks back.
Please leave share any information/links that will help me answer these questions!

Thanks!!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
1. How do I start?
If you can find a flying buddy/club - that's a super way to get going, nothing like flying/trying to fly with frends

Of course, I initially taught myself to fly way before flight sims were a available with a ni-cad battery powered Multiplex cub over a long grassed field. Just be prepared to crash more, and have fun to repair.

Tiny trainer - easy build and a great starting place.

Not at all, a decent sharp blade is all you need.

It's as difficuilt/expensive as you let it be. Like all obsessions, it will absorb as much money as you allow it and you can push yourself to make it as difficult as you want - pattern flying / 3D flying is a whole mountain of learning that I personally am not climbing ;)

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
there are multple ways, but generally, pick a plane friendly to learning to fly, built it and start flying

yes, simulator just saves you from having to rebuild when crashing while your learning.

I have a 'getting started cheap' link in my Signature, you can get going for around/under $200 if you focus on keeping your price down.

nope, you can build foam board planes with just a hobby knife/razor blade to cut it out and glue to put it together. watch the build of the Tiny Trainer and you will learn all the needed skills to build. Cutting out plans isn't covered, but that is basically following the lines.

that is all relative... it is hard when you start, but gets easier as you learn.
expensive - depends on your definition of expensive and what you choose to build/etc. As I pointed out above, you can get started around $200 and I saw someone flying a plane that was probably more expensive then my car a few weeks back.
I have tried the tiny trainer. stay away from it. it is really hard to keep in the air, though yes it is indestructible. try the simple storch. should work better.

Flyingshark

Master member
I have tried the tiny trainer. stay away from it. it is really hard to keep in the air, though yes it is indestructible. try the simple storch. should work better.
My experience has been that the Tiny Trainer is one of the easiest planes to fly I've ever touched. It's not necessarily the most "fun" to fly, but it's simple. It just needs some speed to keep it in the air.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
My experience has been that the Tiny Trainer is one of the easiest planes to fly I've ever touched. It's not necessarily the most "fun" to fly, but it's simple. It just needs some speed to keep it in the air.
I have built many different variations, and done what some people said would make it better, and it never worked. maybe two succesful twenty second flights at max.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I have built many different variations, and done what some people said would make it better, and it never worked. maybe two succesful twenty second flights at max.
I've done the same and agree have never had good success, my first real "flight" was actually on the FT Racer and I wish I had started with that instead of going through 5 other planes that were supposedly good "starter planes"

Flyingshark

Master member
Huh. I can get flights of several minutes with a 3s, and there's more than enough power to get me out of any problems.

My scratchbuilt "Trainer-Stik" was the first of my designs that I successfully flew, and it flies great, slow & gentle & well-behaved. As I look at it now, it's surprisingly similar to the FT Tiny Trainer even though I was hardly aware of the TT at all. Just look at that TT; How could it NOT be an awesome first plane? I can't see what all the discussion's about.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have seen some of the kits that did not have the CG marked in the correct place. If you balanced where marked, it was tail heavy.

If you moved the CG forward, 1/4 to 1/2 of where it was marked on the kit, it flew great.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I have seen some of the kits that did not have the CG marked in the correct place. If you balanced where marked, it was tail heavy.

If you moved the CG forward, 1/4 to 1/2 of where it was marked on the kit, it flew great.
I scrarchbuilt it

skymaster

Elite member
Welcome. The tiny trainer is a good starting plane and yes they are other one's that are good too. for me it was the the FT mighty miny arrow easy to build durable. bank and yank. the only thing you need to remember is that you need to climb high so you can have time to correct your mistake's do not make the mistake alot of us have done by staying near the ground ( unless you are going for the trophy of the one that can go into the ground and come out some where else then you win a prize) most of all just have fun.

Welcome. The tiny trainer is a good starting plane and yes they are other one's that are good too. for me it was the the FT mighty miny arrow easy to build durable. bank and yank. the only thing you need to remember is that you need to climb high so you can have time to correct your mistake's do not make the mistake alot of us have done by staying near the ground ( unless you are going for the trophy of the one that can go into the ground and come out some where else then you win a prize) most of all just have fun.
Haha playing whack-a-Mini Arrow! I'm guilty of staying too close to the ground for sure. That's ok, the plane flies awesome until it "lands". @skymaster I think you're ok - You're a knucklehead same as I am and I get your stupid jokes.

boogieloo

I'm new too. Just started in June. But with more information now. I actually started the gas engines in 1990. But when no gas was made available and shortage of starter and gas, I just threw that project away. I was relying on my parents too at that time. Now I'm older and on my own. So I don't care if I waste $200 dollars on supplies from City Mill lumber store. I just started again in June of 2021. It looks pretty darn good. This is my second attempt at setting up the electronics on the single ESC engine airplane. So several months into the hobby. Things can get pretty rough. But I think it will be okay. This took 6 days to make. But on the old airplane that I trashed, I salvaged the servos, receivers, pushrods, links, connectors at the rudders, etc., screws, nuts, bolt, tires, landing gear, and just about anything I can use. Then made another one in 6 days. Hopefully to work. I trashed the old one when it shut the electronics down. Starting over again. I'm a Honolulu guy my whole life. So flying this thing at Kapiolani park in Waikiki is a thrill to watch. So that's my incentive.

Attachments

• proairplane.jpg
    proairplane.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

boogieloo

Thanks Flite Test Store. I had the ideas from watching videos of Ramy's and lots of them from India and some other builders around town. So I finally came up with one that looks like a airplane from India. He was using a TATTU battery and a skymaster without landing gears and it flew. And another one on skymaster. This time in America. California i think. And Ramy's RC car/airplane challenge. So I watch those videos and came up with a lot of building tips. This time this weight of the model airplane is 3.2 ibs. Really fun. But now it's a waiting game. So I'm my nerves to see if this will work or fly.

Not hard if you like the topic and you like crafts. Expensive because funding is not easily available. And for beginners, just try it out. Use a foam board. Cut one out. Use a propeller. Use rubber bands. And make your own design. See if it lifts off the ground and flies. just like the ones already made for kids at the crafts store. If it flies, in there. Then start on the next one. ESC engines. Big jump, but worth the effort.x This is what I made October 1, 2021. For Halloween. I just bought the kit for carving and a pumpkin from Safeway stores. It took me 2 hours to carve it. It lasted 4 days. That is what i meant by crafts. My iPhone is the lights.

The topic is smart. When this airplane flies, I'll start on a new one. This time nicer. And made to look like the real pros make it. And maybe a better design. Then wait. But it will cost money. Of which work now is more important. So can wait. Anytime. Any body can start on a simple airplane and fly it. Really. I measure by the box they hold. Mines is Flysky from China. Very popular world wide for model airplane builders. Another one is Futaba. Also popular. Spektrum. So that is how you can see where you're at. The hand box. It shows you're a model builder. If these points are an important part of your hobby, then keep up to date on the popular brands around.

Attachments

• WIN_20211002_00_11_51_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20211002_00_11_51_Pro.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: