I'm not exactly a new pilot but way out of date!

toad

Heck I remember when RC used tubes! Well, that was in a boat though... Hi, I'm 71 and eagerly awaiting an Avantex mini trainer with SAFE which may save me from my long disastrous series of crashes and fly aways. I really enjoy the FliteTest videos and what I think would suit me is a Sea Duck because theres a lot more flat water here than usable ground space. I wish the prices were ALL inclusive! So like really RTF none of this, oh yeah and you also need...'cos its pretty darn expensive when you add up all the other stuff. Thats why I went with a BangGood fifty buck deal. On a pension I cannot afford to spend my monthly income on something that could easily get lost or wrecked. I'd NEVER hear the end of it!

toad

Welcome to the forums Toad!!!
Thanks Grifflyer. Don't be offended please but I will not use social media, too many bad experiences. Heck just because I tried it once I cannot get rid of Facebook hassling me. Same goes for Twitter but I do spend a lot of time on YouTube. I joined up here in the hope of meeting like minded folks, you're never too old to play with toys. - Mike (real name)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Thanks Grifflyer. Don't be offended please but I will not use social media, too many bad experiences. Heck just because I tried it once I cannot get rid of Facebook hassling me. Same goes for Twitter but I do spend a lot of time on YouTube. I joined up here in the hope of meeting like minded folks, you're never too old to play with toys. - Mike (real name)
No problem, we all have opinions and we should all respect each others opinions.
That said I'm the same way:p never been on Facebook or Twitter, and I post on Youtube every now and then.

bracesport

Legendary member
@toad - my sister's brother in law is not a young man and he has picked up the bug too - I built him a TT and am now assembling a Pheonix for him - we never say never around here!

Hoomi

Master member
Hi Toad!

I'm 59, and got into the planes just over a year and a half ago. Fair warning that they can be immensely addicting!

It does amaze me just how many advancements have been made in radio control since I was a teenager. Not only are the electronics smaller and lighter-weight, but the digital control systems now make cross-interference worries a thing of the past. Rigs are also a heck of lot cheaper than they used to be, back when I was first interested in trying to get into RC, and realized I really couldn't afford a worthwhile set-up on my budget at that time.

Brianna81

Hello Toad! I think I realize what others have missed so far. You're reading their "automatic signatures" as part of their posts. Everybody on here seems to have some sort of custom signature, that appears every time they post. Think of it like they're writing on letterhead paper. It's got the same information on it every time, no matter what you want to write on it. So what you're seeing as people including links for you to read, are things they are actually including every time the write something. Not that there's anything bad in reading them, I just wanted to make sure you knew what they were :)

toad

Hello Toad! I think I realize what others have missed so far. You're reading their "automatic signatures" as part of their posts. Everybody on here seems to have some sort of custom signature, that appears every time they post. Think of it like they're writing on letterhead paper. It's got the same information on it every time, no matter what you want to write on it. So what you're seeing as people including links for you to read, are things they are actually including every time the write something. Not that there's anything bad in reading them, I just wanted to make sure you knew what they were :)

Good point Brianna, thanks, I hadn't realised that.

BTW Which of the forum titles is the right one to ask questions at? What I want to get opinions on is a setup that won't break the bank but won't be outgrown or obsolete in a couple of years. I'm only going to get one shot at plonking down some heavy bread and for me that means $250 max. If I have to buy it over a few months then fair enough if its that good I can wait. Thats only my first question!.

Thanks to all who said hi! Jimun, Hoomi and Bracesport - if I forgat anyone I apologize. Can we take it as read that I appreciate the welcomes? Else I'll be posting thank you notes for ages. I don't mind but the site owner might not appreciate the space being wasted.

degriz

I found some great buys on Spektrum Transmitters on e-bay, I also watch classifieds on https://www.rcgroups.com It's great being able to do all the adjustments from the transmitter.
Like you I got sucked back in after a 30 year hiatus, The cost has dropped tremendously from the 80's when I learned.

I don't even shed a tear anymore after a crash, it's only a few bucks of foam ;)