I'm tired of cutting Foam by hand

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
If you havent already guessed by the title, I am tired of cutting foam by hand, I am tired of cutting foam by hand! It is nice when I am just building for fun but if I am designing something using double cad and going through the effort of making plans I really want something to cut them out as well. (I think I was spoiled by Kilroys laser cut kits for the airshow at FF)

So what I need help with is finding something affordable to cut white FB (my dollar tree only carries white). I don't have a 3d printer or a true $ amount yet. I am somewhat familiar with cad and know nothing about 3d printers, cnc machines, or laser cutters. I am not planning on getting this today, I just want to see what you guys recommend and how much it costs.

Thanks in advance.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Cutting foam with a needle is the cheapest option. It would cost around $200-$300. I learned how to make a cnc machine in a week and there are many options as far as platforms go.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
The MPCNC is probably the cheapest option or V1 engineering low rider. Both require a 3d printer but I would be happy to print the parts for you.

kilroy07

Legendary member
The needle cutters will be your easiest/cheapest entry point.

The other option would be a cheap (as in cheap) LED laser, but I don't have much faith in those (it probably won't cut through completely but would give you a good headstart.)

There are several of us with 3D printers who would be willing to get you going by printing the pieces for the MPCNC (what's used as the base hardware, check it out on thingiverse.) Just have to ask. ;)

There is (what I consider) a steep learning curve getting into the middle of it however (without any prior experience) just the terms alone can give you headaches... but I guess it's no different than going from fixed wing to quads! :LOL:

If you are starting from scratch, you are probably looking in the $200 range to get up and running (a guess, it's been awhile since I built mine and I've got a pretty healthy bitz box(es).)

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I definitely like the needle option and have made an attempt at going through that monstrous thread. Its simple and I have most of the parts to make it already, except the 3d printed ones of course. I was thinking about getting this or a 3d printer but I feel like a foam cutter would not only force me to make plans for my designs so I can share them, but I can also get a 3d printer later.

I just looked at this and it looks like a lot of 3d printing so maybe a 3d printer first? I really want to be able to cut out and prototype fast. My school computer blocked their store so i still don't know how much it cost but I am guessing that it would work. How much would it cost to have someone else print out these parts? It looks like I can get the rest at Home Depot or on their store, so that won't be an issue.

Just to explore options, what laser do you use @kilroy07 ?

Crow929

Some areas have "maker-spaces" where you can pay to use otherwise too expensive/large tools for individuals to purchase (like laser cutters). Unfortunately, I see we're in the same neck of the woods, and I haven't been able to find a good one near me. Possibly you have a better search ability than I, in that case let me know if you find something! I'd love to throw some CAD files on a thumb drive and walk in with a few sheets of FB and come home with a bunch of parts ready to glue.
The needle cutters look interesting, but I know I'd spend way more time building it and trying to make it work well then I would just continuing cutting by hand.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
The needle cutters look interesting, but I know I'd spend way more time building it and trying to make it work well then I would just continuing cutting by hand.
I thought the same thing about 6 months ago but I want to be able to quickly prototype models so it doesn't take a whole day to make and test fly a plane. I also know that if I have it, it will force me to make plans for my airplanes that I can share.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The printed parts kit for the MPCNC is $135 The parts bundle with a control board is $271. So for about $400 you can have all of the parts to build the MPCNC.

You can also always mount an extruder on an MPCNC and use it like a 3D printer. But....I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Yeah, it will work. But...for best results a MPCNC should be built as short as possible to keep it stiff. Which will really limit it's usefulness as a printer. And while it is neat to be able to print really big - it's VERY slow and you won't find a heated bed for it so you'll have to use alternative methods to prevent warping (which at that size will probably be an even bigger issue.)

If you have the budget to buy a 3D printer first I definitely recommend it as it's a great way to ramp up to CNC. You'll learn a lot of the basic concepts (since a 3D printer is really just a small CNC machine with an extruder on it) and can then print your own parts for a MPCNC and have both an additive machine (the 3D printer) and a subtractive machine (the CNC) which REALLY opens up your options for what you can create.

But...that would cost more than just buying the MPCNC parts and using it as a 3D printer as well...but...I'd hate to tie up my MPCNC with printing. I much prefer having a separate printer that can run for hours at a time doing parts while I step out to the shop and run the CNC to cut things.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I just looked at this and it looks like a lot of 3d printing so maybe a 3d printer first?
If you have any inkling at all to jump into 3D printing, I say go for it!

There's SO much use you will be able to find for one (not only in this hobby but others and around the house)
And (of course) having one yourself will allow you to print out your own pieces for a MPCNC for about the cost of a spool or two of filament.
(A MPCNC won't run into more than a single spool, but two colors is a bit flasher!)
IMG_4908.JPG

You'll also learn about flashing firmware and that'll come in useful when you are setting up your own MPCNC.

There's LOTS of help here and elsewhere if you get stuck.
There's even been a couple here about the (basic) entry level Anet 8 if you are really on a budget!

Aero_Knight

If you havent already guessed by the title, I am tired of cutting foam by hand, I am tired of cutting foam by hand! It is nice when I am just building for fun but if I am designing something using double cad and going through the effort of making plans I really want something to cut them out as well. (I think I was spoiled by Kilroys laser cut kits for the airshow at FF)

So what I need help with is finding something affordable to cut white FB (my dollar tree only carries white). I don't have a 3d printer or a true $ amount yet. I am somewhat familiar with cad and know nothing about 3d printers, cnc machines, or laser cutters. I am not planning on getting this today, I just want to see what you guys recommend and how much it costs.

Thanks in advance.

For the quicker hand cutting, you can look into getting high end metal sharp cookie cutters or even fabric cutting wheels. The wheels are great for long straight or some curved cuts. Some can even have depth control for those score cuts. Catch is they don't end perfectly. If you can find sharp metal cookie cutters, you can break them apart or modify them to have specific lengths or bends like sharp corners that sometimes can be tricky to get. The catch with them is that depending on how sharp and the type of foam board, you might crush more than cut if your not careful.

Otherwise I will defer to the above about printers.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

Thanks in advance.
We seem to have opposite problems! Having an Electronics background I am extremely familiar with the mechanics and electronic/electrical side of 3D printers and CNC machines and lack almost totally any CAD knowledge or experience. I can design up a storm on paper and even make things from blueprints, (also have boiler maker qualifications), but driving a cursor instead of a pencil is just about driving me crazy!

Add to that the so called "Free softwares" that expire before you actually learn enough to be able to assess, drive or even use them productively!

As for advice! Grab a 3D printer and a few rolls of filament and print almost everything you can download until you can operate, adjust, and repair your printer in your sleep. Just make sure it has a print area of at least 200mm x 200mm. This bed dimension is required for a lot of the 3D printed CNC cutters and the like. Additionally a heated bed is extremely desirable though I have managed to get by without on to date. Whilst a heated bed is available for my cheap printer it has only a 150mm square print area but this can be expanded quite cheaply for the unit I chose and requires no firmware upgrade to drive it.

You may find that making the CNC cutter will be easier than you anticipate as long as you follow the build instructions exactly. If you decide to wander off and design your own "Bespoke" design then you may strike some unexpected difficulties!

Have fun, (I know I am except for the CAD software that is!).

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Thank you guys for all the help, I think that I might get 3d printer and learn all there is to know about it before I build a CNC machine to cut foam. I was looking at the Anet 8 for a while now and I think that's what I'll get sometime soon. Don't worry I will still be asking a lot of questions about the 3d printer as well.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Thank you guys for all the help, I think that I might get 3d printer and learn all there is to know about it before I build a CNC machine to cut foam. I was looking at the Anet 8 for a while now and I think that's what I'll get sometime soon. Don't worry I will still be asking a lot of questions about the 3d printer as well.

Get the Tevo Tarantula or this https://www.banggood.com/Creality-3...-p-1278399.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

those are the best options for a low budget 3d printer. Personally I use the tevo tarantula and the tevo tarantula has so many upgrade options.

jaredstrees

I've had the A8 for a while and for me it performs great. I upgraded the belts, bearings, added mosfetts and a power switch with fuse before I even turned it on. Then print up all the supports and bracing you need to make it a bit more sturdy. Currently printing localfiend's northern pike and it is coming out great for the most part. Couple pieces I'll need to fiddle with the settings on, but been a great printer.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I only mentioned the A8 because it's had some interest here lately.

Personally I would go with one of these: Anycubic I3 MEGA, The Tarantula or the Ender-3.
Mostly to do with the stiffness of the design but also the A8 has some "issues" that really need to be addressed (as Jaredstrees mentioned.)

I started out with an Pursa clone years (5) ago and now have Wilson IIs as my goto printer.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1086101
(I've even designed a few upgrades for it myself.)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2765853

jaredstrees

If you can afford a better one go for it. I needed cheap as my wife was skeptical about it. Now that she sees it being used and it's potential, I'll probably get to upgrade in the next year or so. But as a entry level it has been great.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I am in high school with a minimum wage job so money is definitely limited. I am unfortunately stuck on my school computer as of right now so I can't do any shopping :cautious: I am glad that I can view the forums however!

EDIT: When I decide to order the printer I may just have a few questions for you, I hope you don't mind.