IMAX b6 issue

Tonymul

Hello I’m new to the forum but I’m having an issue with my charger when I go to charge 6s battery the voltage is crazy high on the battery meter and the charger goes to ext temp too high please see the link https://imgur.com/a/J8p0q

Tonymul

The batteries voltage is fine 3.78-3.79v/cell it’s just the charger not liking the 6s for some reason but with 3s it’s fine

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Are you balance charging or some other way? I don't think these chargers are high enough wattage to charge a 6s at 1c on anything larger then ~1800 mah. If higher then that you have to charge less then 1c. I just looked and you are trying to charge a 16000mah battery and that aint gonna happen on this charger. They are a max of 72w. To charge a battery that size at 1c you are looking at a charger in the 400 watt range.

Tonymul

I’m not bothered about a slow charge as the battery is not for rc useage so it can take 8 hours to charge and it wouldn’t bother me I just need to get it to function with a 6s battery that it should be rated for

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It is not rated for a 16000 mah battery. Its more then proper voltage and current that determines what a charger can do. Go back to the simple water hose analogy for electronics and current flow. Basically you are trying to put enough water to put out a house fire thru a garden hose. It simply ain't gonna happen with that gear. You can drop the charge rate down to .1 amps and MAYBE that wont tax the charger but other then that 16000 mah is way too large for normal charging on only 72w chargers.

Chuppster

It is not rated for a 16000 mah battery. Its more then proper voltage and current that determines what a charger can do. Go back to the simple water hose analogy for electronics and current flow. Basically you are trying to put enough water to put out a house fire thru a garden hose. It simply ain't gonna happen with that gear. You can drop the charge rate down to .1 amps and MAYBE that wont tax the charger but other then that 16000 mah is way too large for normal charging on only 72w chargers.

PsyBorg, I don't believe the battery size matters when you go to charge. Cell count is the most important factor. If the charger is truly a constant current/constant voltage charger it should charge at the max current until maximum voltage is reached, then charge at maximum voltage until the current is zero. Battery capacity determines how much current the battery can safely handle to charge with.

That being said it can only charge at the current the device is rated for. This is different for each cell count, hence the "Wattage" of the charger. 72W sounds reasonable for this model of charger.

No matter if the battery is 300mah or 30,000mah a constant current load will treat the charger the same. Also, reading a voltage from the balance charger should not be effected by the capacity of the battery.

If it's a 72W charger, try setting the current to (72w/22v =) ~3 amps and see if that helps.
Is the charger a genuine b6 or a clone? I know a lot of cheap clones exist that have very questionable quality.

Source: Bachelor of Science in Computer and Electrical Engineering.

Last edited:

Tonymul

Yes it’s a genuine charger but the charging power doesn’t bother me but having to externally balance it is bothering me because when I plug the balance lead in the charger goes straight into ext temp too high so there’s something wrong with it when I try to balance charge a 6s do you people know of a good external balancing board the one I’m using is not rated for much

Tonymul

I actually have the same one so maybe it’s time I get a new charger just for the 6s and leave this one for up to 3s

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
PsyBorg, I don't believe the battery size matters when you go to charge. Cell count is the most important factor. If the charger is truly a constant current/constant voltage charger it should charge at the max current until maximum voltage is reached, then charge at maximum voltage until the current is zero. Battery capacity determines how much current the battery can safely handle to charge with.

That being said it can only charge at the current the device is rated for. This is different for each cell count, hence the "Wattage" of the charger. 72W sounds reasonable for this model of charger.

No matter if the battery is 300mah or 30,000mah a constant current load will treat the charger the same. Also, reading a voltage from the balance charger should not be effected by the capacity of the battery.

If it's a 72W charger, try setting the current to (72w/22v =) ~3 amps and see if that helps.
Is the charger a genuine b6 or a clone? I know a lot of cheap clones exist that have very questionable quality.

Source: Bachelor of Science in Computer and Electrical Engineering.

Ahhh engineers....

Yes the charger is a constant voltage constant current device. +1

It is also a device that runs on user selected parameters. These being the voltage and the charge current. When selecting the proper charge current for a battery one uses the mah rating to choose a "Proper" (in most cases for lipos is 1c) charge. For the battery the op is using 16000 mah that proper amp setting for a 1c charge is 16 amps. Mathematically 16 amps x 22 volts (which is low as this is only a storage charge. full charge would be 25 volts pushing it to 400 watts) is 352 watts. Now holding only an associates I understand 352 watts to be way more then 72 watts. Thus my stating the charger is not capable to do a 1c charge rate and suggested the OP drop to a .1 c for which that charger could and should easily handle.

So in the end yes mah is important and does play a role in proper charging.

Chuppster

Ahhh engineers....

Yes the charger is a constant voltage constant current device. +1

It is also a device that runs on user selected parameters. These being the voltage and the charge current. When selecting the proper charge current for a battery one uses the mah rating to choose a "Proper" (in most cases for lipos is 1c) charge. For the battery the op is using 16000 mah that proper amp setting for a 1c charge is 16 amps. Mathematically 16 amps x 22 volts (which is low as this is only a storage charge. full charge would be 25 volts pushing it to 400 watts) is 352 watts. Now holding only an associates I understand 352 watts to be way more then 72 watts. Thus my stating the charger is not capable to do a 1c charge rate and suggested the OP drop to a .1 c for which that charger could and should easily handle.

So in the end yes mah is important and does play a role in proper charging.

Ah, yes, I agree. I was looking at things from the perspective of the charger. The charger doesn't really care about your capacity, provided you set it correctly.

Tonymul

I’ve decided to run this low power charger until the summer and I’m charging both 16000mah batteries in parallel these batteries are for my ebike so no harm charging at 3amps