Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
One thing I noticed with the introduction of Flite Test to the world of online RC videos, is the pressure was on to raise the quality of "professional" videos. Flite Test was produced by someone who did video production for a living, and so it is only fitting that the quality would surpass what other video makers were doing at the time.

It seemed that in addition to trying to use better cameras, improved editing techniques, and more thoughtful set layouts, some of the other aspects of Flite Test's videos were being explored as well.

One that I noticed a while back, but really didn't call much attention to, was when Nitro Planes tried the two hosts with the same name technique...

Tony and Antonio (who also goes by the name of Tony in some of the videos) seems rather similar to Josh, and Joshua? Hmmm... :)

But I was really surprised to see in the more recent Banana Hobby videos, an element from the Flite Test show that seemed out of place anywhere else...

In case you missed it...

static tv.jpg

ft tv.jpg

Has anyone else noticed where Flite Test has influenced the online world of RC videos?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That's a good thing. If they cause the production value to climb across the board then we all benefit.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Honestly if the guys at ft don't make a fuss about it I don't care. Each YouTube channel has its benefits. Here at ft it's more of the home grown stuff, with tips, tricks and stuff like that. BH is more of reviews of new aircraft coming out. So each has a place in my subscription area on YouTube.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I agree wholeheartedly that competition is a great thing.

The process of generating new ideas fascinates me. We've joked about what kind of focus group comes up with some of the commercials that's on TV. So when it comes to something like an RC video, I can't help but imagine a room full of men and women in suits trying to decide how to increase of their viewership...

Boss: "Alright folks, I need ideas. These guys on that Flite Test channel have stumbled onto something, they're getting views like nobody's business, what are they doing that works, that we can add to our videos?"

Idea Man 1: "Well, the thy have two hosts with the same name. We could get two hosts with the same name."

Murmurs of agreement fill the conference room.

Boss: "I like it! We'll get a couple guys, Mike and Michael, that should do it! What else have you got?"

Idea Man 2: "Well, they start every episode with a tv, recently they've added static to it. What if we used an old tv with static on the screen as part of the intro?"

Boss: That sounds like a winner. If that doesn't draw in more viewers, I don't know what will. Tell one of the new Mikes to stop in at the thrift store or junk shop, and see if they can pick up an old television and bring it in."

earthsciteach

However, can we PLEASE explain the the NP guys that one plane is referred to as one aircraft. Multiple airplanes are referred to as multiple aircraft. Does "aircrafts" bug anyone else??? Like fingernails on a blackboard!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
However, can we PLEASE explain the the NP guys that one plane is referred to as one aircraft. Multiple airplanes are referred to as multiple aircraft. Does "aircrafts" bug anyone else??? Like fingernails on a blackboard!

Hey Teach isn't that a EuroChinglish rule of grammar? Just add an "S" to make any word plural. ;)

Do you really still have "Blackboards"? I thought they had gone the way of the dinosaur when "Whiteboards" were introduced.

Thurmond

earthsciteach

There are still a few hold outs with the blackboards. I'm not one. In fact, I have a "smart board." It makes a great projector screen, but otherwise is useless. I have a whiteboard on wheels that I am convinced is possessed and trying to kill me. It has collapsed on me twice. I still use it, but continuously remind the students that it is trying to kill me and they may have to rescue me at any minute.

"Like fingernails on a whiteboard" just doesn't have the same connotation.

robschonk

The greatest reward my elementary school teachers could give us was the job of beating the blackboard erasers together outside.