Importing Adams Readi Foam Board to Australia

Hi peeps,

Just putting my feelers out there to see what kind of response I get to see if this is viable.

As most of you are aware the foam used by Flitetest is pretty much non existent or we have much more expensive alternatives here in Australia, or outside the USA pretty much.

I have recently started a RC eStore in Brisbane (opens next week), and while talking with suppliers for various models i have imported or going through the final stages of, I came across the forums regarding foamboards. I myself have made a couple of FT Scratch builds I actually brought the kits as it seemed much more easier and convenient (sometimes cheaper) than seeking foam board from any AU or NZ supplier. I also wanted to show my support to FT and what they do for the RC community. I like many other would not have had interest into the hobby if it weren't for their shows.

As I was saying this got me to contact RL Adams Plastics,Inc following a recommendation from Flitetest, It's my understanding Adams supply the foam for the FT Kits. After a few early morning and late night contacts with Adams I have negotiated what I think is a really good price. Only thing I need to sort out now is the shipping. Adams are really excited about the prospect, If all goes ahead they have proposed that they will direct international sales inquiries through Velocity Aerial Systems. Meaning we could ship almost anywhere. Opens that horizon.

Like the guys at flitetest I would like to see more people get into the hobby, nothing worse than having to pay big $$ for something that if you are learning potentially you're going to fly into the deck or a tree (Know by personal experience). My aim is to make this as cheap as possible for you guys I believe I can beat the foam suppliers price here in Australia and NZ, at the end of the day you are the ones who make these kits and create your own aircraft, and shows what you can do with some light materials and motors. I would really like to get these in for you guys who are interested.

Which brings me back to my original point. How many of you would be interested in purchasing the same foam that FT has for their speedbuild kits?

To make it cost effective or even cost neutral I need quite a bit of interest. As I can not get just one 25 sheet case, I need to buy in large quantities. This is kinda my "market research" as I have funded VAS on my own and this will fall into that space as well so I'm carrying out my due diligence.

Let me know your thoughts guys. As I mentioned more interest, more chance of getting this in.

Thanks

Mikkel

tclemmo

I think you have a great idea here!

What you really need is advertising. The hobby is growing very quickly all over the world. What it needs is accessibility - and, for me at least, Australia really doesn't do the best job of that. The only problem I see with this post is it's in one of the smaller corners of the forums, and you might not get the recognition you need to really get this going. Have you posted on any other forums such as RCGroups?

In doing this, you'd be opening it up to many more Australians. You could also have your own business in laser-cutting foam board kits, similar to FliteTest. Hey, maybe you could even contact FliteTest and get permission to sell their designs in Australia?

Well, maybe that is making things a little difficult. But I think bringing cheaper foam board to Australia will not only be very handy for 'veterans' of the hobby, but also kickstart it for newcomers. Not to mention bringing it to schools, scout groups etc. We've seen in FliteTest's episodes how much kids love to build and fly planes.

I'm relatively new to the hobby, but I really think this will be great. I know a single customer isn't enough business, but I'd definitely buy a box. And if you could bring swappable kits, you'd have even more business from me!

Good luck! Hopefully you can get more support from around Australia.

Tyler

Last edited:
Thanks Tyler,

Appreciate your feedback. In regards to advertising yes it would be a long journey. Hence why I came to the place where this is kinda most active and I think Flitetest is a good start. If it went ahead I have the support from Adams, which is a big deal to have them onboard. They advise that they would direct international case sales to my website (which is due to launch next week).

As far as the swapables, this would need to be discussed with Flitetest themselves. Would be good to have a FT warehouse in the Southern Hemisphere. I do however have a couple of plans and prototype aircraft for the foam boards, which once finalised happy to share these.

But thank you for your support, its feedback and people like yourself that help bring an idea to a reality.

Watch this space.

Mikkel

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I think it's great that you're working toward cheaper foam in Australia.

The only thing I'd be curious to know is what level of demand there is for Adams board outside of FT planes. We know it's great for all types of planes but the general 'vibe' outside the FT world is that Adams is a second rate medium. I didn't realize this until spending some time in the scratch build section of RCG. Sadly, it's not the go to material for building.

This might be a different story when you talk about essentially introducing a really cheap option to a market that's dealt with high price alternatives. Just something to be aware of :)

Hi Nerdnic,

Thanks for your feedback. To be honest I've received mixed feedback about the foam. I am with a couple of clubs and I showed my FT planes. It appears that the younger ones knew more about it than the older ones, which I guess is understandable, I came across FT just by surfing YouTube. So I get mixed reactions about the material. Each to their own.

I do like the MPF it has a real good quality and finish feel to it. They do ship internationally unlike Adams so I wouldn't be sure if we could discuss a possible venture there, who knows.

I guess at the end of the day I would like to supply a cheap alternative than what we have at the moment. To put this into perspective we have a few places where we can buy foam board from. Art stores, manufactures etc. but for a 30" X 40" x 3/16" sheet you can pay anywhere between $6.00-$14.00usd per sheet. If I brought these in I think we could half the lowest price, we're trying to aim for $3.00USD. If I can get it lower even better!

All I would like to do is bring in a cheap alternative to what we have and for ft viewers (and there is a few out there) here in AU & NZ it's something they know.

I'm still trying to get a sense of what the market is for this. Again it's mixed. I may just have to bite the billet and get the minimum order quantity that would get these to sell cheaply to see then. But I will continue to get feedback. Which again it's people like you that really help with these early stages.

So thank you for your feedback.
I really appreciate it. :)

Hi Nerdnic,

Thanks for your feedback. To be honest I've received mixed feedback about the foam. I am with a couple of clubs and I showed my FT planes. It appears that the younger ones knew more about it than the older ones, which I guess is understandable, I came across FT just by surfing YouTube. So I get mixed reactions about the material. Each to their own.

I do like the MPF it has a real good quality and finish feel to it. They do ship internationally unlike Adams so I wouldn't be sure if we could discuss a possible venture there, who knows.

I guess at the end of the day I would like to supply a cheap alternative than what we have at the moment. To put this into perspective we have a few places where we can buy foam board from. Art stores, manufactures etc. but for a 30" X 40" x 3/16" sheet you can pay anywhere between $6.00-$14.00usd per sheet. If I brought these in I think we could half the lowest price, we're trying to aim for $3.00USD. If I can get it lower even better!

All I would like to do is bring in a cheap alternative to what we have and for ft viewers (and there is a few out there) here in AU & NZ it's something they know.

I'm still trying to get a sense of what the market is for this. Again it's mixed. I may just have to bite the billet and get the minimum order quantity that would get these to sell cheaply to see then. But I will continue to get feedback. Which again it's people like you that really help with these early stages.

So thank you for your feedback.
I really appreciate it. :)

That sounds awesome, if we could get it here it would be amazing, me and a few of my friends watch flite test but we cant get there $1 foam here, we are looking for cheap alternatives that are less that $13 for a 20x30 inch 5mm sheet, this is just too expensive, would love to hear update's on this . if you got some in i would definitely buy some.

Send us a link if you end up setting this up.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Keep in mind that MPF is also manufactured by Adams. It is just made to specs for the MPF guys. You might be able to talk with the MPF guys and Adams and see if you can get MPF's product from Adams. Then you could bring both products to Australia cheaper. Not saying cut out the MPF guys, just work out a larger supply channel. Contact them through their web site. Or reach out to Springer on RCG. He is a pretty nice guy. I got to talk with him at Flite Fest and he is very approachable.

When I contacted Adams about overseas availability, they directed me to BAZIC. They said BAZIC was an international distributor for their foam board. I did not contact BAZIC because they sell retail, so the quantities I was looking for were already available. I know that you would not meet your price point objective by buying retail through BAZIC. But, if they are already set up for international distribution, they might be worth contacting to discuss bulk orders. http://www.bazicproducts.com/foam_boards.html. Not sure it will help, just thought I would mention it.

Good luck with getting the Foam Board imported and good luck with your eStore. I hope it works well for you and other hobbyists.

cyrus487

Hi Mikkel,

I'm from Perth and would gladly buy DT Foam board from you. Several mates of mine and family members would too.

Cheers
Chris

Jugsy

Hi mikkelbrezhnev, how did your negotiations turn out? I'm a little late to this thread but me and my friends here in Adelaide would be regular repeat customers if you could bring some decent foamboard to Australia. We're considering all pitching in on a box of FT WR foam, but really would love to avoid that ridiculous postage!

jpleaner

Hi mikkelbrezhnev. Just wondering how you have progressed with this. I was fortunate enough to attend FliteFest2016 recently and was amazed to see the difference between the foam board we have in Australia (and pay through the nose for) and the FT foam board and newer waterproof foam board. It is significantly lighter than the Aussie stuff which explains why my FT builds often don't even get off the ground with the motor specs they provide. After returning, I was determined also the try and bring their foam board here (Melbourne). But like you, i'd be interested in what the market would be like.
Cheers
Jason

Knights

I'm keen as well, the stuff from K-mart just isn't working for me lol, unless I want some heavyweight planes

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Mikkel,

Greetings! Where about in Brisbane are you located as people do not realise that Brisbane is larger in area that some countries.

As for the FB Yes I would be interested as I build a large number of planes out of FB including a large number of my own designs. I also build planes for other persons who have more thumbs than fingers on each hand.

My own designs have a life with me and are gifted away after I tire of them Those who receive any of my designs are supported with repair services as well for the same reason of thumbs.

Initially I was planning my own manufacturing enterprise now that I am effectively retired but due to the way Australia is I am caught in a funding vacuum and sit here building and building and building.

Should you ever require any assistance (apart from funding) let me know and I will gladly assist if I am able.

I do have a retail outlet who has indicated a willingness to sell my creations (on consignment) but I have not availed myself of this offer at this time.

My specialty at this time is converting old Balsa designs into FB designs as well as building a version in both materials for comparison.

Anyway count me in as long as the freight is not a killer because my supplier currently is within walking distance and I get my FB at $9 a sheet to my build area.

Good luck!

Bob:black_eyed:

bozman

Hey Mikkel ,

I'm real late to this party but the webs can be like that.
Did this end up going through ? I'm currently buying from Officeworks at a cost of about $5 for an A2 sheet but the paper is bonded really well and I normally like to remove it.

Ben