In the market for a new battery charger, thoughts?

Mad_Mechanic

This topic has been covered in general forms many times. Here is my situation.

About 8 years ago I bought a simple LiPo charger on HobbyKing. It was very basic, needed an external power supply and would only balance charge batteries with a minimum of 3 cells. This was fine when I was running 3S 2200 batteries for my 450 helicopter but now I'm starting to buy a collection of 2S batteries for smaller foam board planes. I'm also getting really tired of the setup involved in this older unit and needing the external power supply.

So I'm looking at some of the newer chargers on the market. I've found 2 that I like the look of and they are in the same general ball park for price. I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with either of them.

First is this ISDT D2 unit from Aloft Hobby with a price tag of $109.00
https://alofthobbies.com/isdt-d2-200w10a-dual-charger.html

It will charge 2 batteries simultaneously and will support 1-6S batteries.

Second is this HOTA D6+ unit from GetFPV with a price tag of $129.99
https://www.getfpv.com/hota-d6-300w-ac-dc-dual-channel-smart-charger-discharger.html

Again, it will charge 2 batteries simultaneously and will support 1-6s batteries.

Both have nice 'big' full color screens. Both have USB ports for firmware updates.

Yes, they both have rather 'hefty' price tags, but I see this as an investment piece.

Thoughts?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I went with one of these and I love it. Two batts at a time. Charge one, discharge the other, different chemistries, it doesn't care. Just push the buttons and set it up. It's good for 2s to 6s. It has a large screen (important to me) though it's not color. It also voice-prompts which was useful the first few times I used it. Basically zero learning curve.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hitec-...ozFrtVAGMcvbbvz85yuLEzoPkYDYQ6mxoCAGUQAvD_BwE

Mad_Mechanic

Interesting, the price is right in the middle of the two I listed and it looks like the features are very similar.

I don't mind it not having a color screen. What I do like is that it takes commonly available and easy to make charge adapters using banana plugs.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Interesting, the price is right in the middle of the two I listed and it looks like the features are very similar.

I don't mind it not having a color screen. What I do like is that it takes commonly available and easy to make charge adapters using banana plugs.
Yep, and you get two extra. Solder on what you want. It balance charges very well. Storage is within about three percent. Like most "smart" chargers, if you're below storage it won't bring it up. You have to balance charge above the 40% and then you can discharge to storage. Overall, it's a serious workhorse. I'd buy another.

Mad_Mechanic

I guess so! You know the sad part here? Because of triple digit weekend weather out here, I still haven't done the maiden flight of my FT Explorer. Fingers crossed this coming weekend I can get out and do it.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Take it out! I'm cutting holes in the fuse to increase airflow. I can now only fly at dusk, and it really limits my flying time. I'm taking out my Baby Blender, my Edge, my MSBP and my Speed Racer shortly before dusk. I've got an ammo can full of batteries charged or currently charging. I doubt I'll be able to fly them all, but darn it, it won't be because they weren't charged and ready! :cool:

Hoomi

Master member
For the extra money, I would go with the one that includes the discharge function. I upgraded to a better charger (from the El Cheapo type that came with my RTF planes) about a year ago, and wondered quickly how I ever got along without it. The one I have includes the discharge and store functions, so after returning home from the field, I cycle the batteries across it on "Store" function, to be sure the voltage level of each cell is good.

Considering how detrimental it can be to LiPo batteries for them to sit with the wrong voltage level, protecting my battery investment is not only fiscally sound, but also means I'm less likely to get to the flying field, only to find out one or more of my batteries is no longer usable.

Mad_Mechanic

Very good advice there, I will have to find the manuals online for each of the units we now have listed in this thread.

I smell another spreadsheet coming! 😂

Mad_Mechanic

For the extra money, I would go with the one that includes the discharge function. I upgraded to a better charger (from the El Cheapo type that came with my RTF planes) about a year ago, and wondered quickly how I ever got along without it. The one I have includes the discharge and store functions, so after returning home from the field, I cycle the batteries across it on "Store" function, to be sure the voltage level of each cell is good.

Considering how detrimental it can be to LiPo batteries for them to sit with the wrong voltage level, protecting my battery investment is not only fiscally sound, but also means I'm less likely to get to the flying field, only to find out one or more of my batteries is no longer usable.

I looked at the product manual for the Hitec charger that @buzzbomb recommended and not only will it do charge and discharge, it can be programmed to cyclical discharging. It also seems to have the best documentation of the three mentioned in this thread so far (I couldn't even find a manufacturer's website for HOTA). The Hitec also comes with a computer program so you can control the charger with a PC for additional functionality, this sounds appealing to me. It's also the middle of the road on price so I think it's my winner here.

Thanks for the recommendation @buzzbomb !

basslord1124

Master member
I have a Hitec X4 AC Pro...it's similar to the one @buzzbomb mentioned, but will do 4 batteries instead of 2. More expensive too at around $200. But it's an excellent charger.

Of the ones you linked, I would definitely recommend the 300W one. It's always good to have more wattage especially if you are start diving into bigger batteries.