In the Market For a New Transmitter

Liam B

Hey everyone,

So I'm in the market for a new TX. I have a Graupner MZ-12 with two receivers now and am looking at two different transmitters...

1.) FrSky Taranis Plus

2.) Graupner MZ-18 (I have no need for the MZ-24, I can't possibly think of a way to use 12 channels!)

So, I did some math on the Taranis and figured out that I'd be spending around $.

Here's my reasoning:
-Taranis Base TX (~$200)
-Receivers (~20 each) x4
-Hall Sensor Gimbals ($45)
-Case ($20)
•All In at $200 after profit from Graupner radio (sell for $150)

Now, if I went with the Graupner, I'd be spending:

-Graupner TX, 2 RX, case, etc ($250 used, great condition)
•Then I'd be in $150 after selling the old Graupner (just the transmitter for $100, broken switch, too)

So it's $200 for Taranis or $150 for Graupner. Do I spend the extra $50 on the Taranis or go with the Graupner?

Keep in mind that I'm already familiar with Graupner's software...

I've put in a few bids on eBay for a used Taranis with no luck. They usually sell for only $10 under retail new.

Thanks for your help!!!

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Check out the new FrSky Taranis Q X7. It's only $~110 and has all the features of the X9D plus except 2 less switches (it has 6) and no shoulder pots (it has the two main pots). The screen is slightly small, but I think the real estate is better used.

I just picked up a Q X7 and am loving it.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I would go Taranis if for no other reason than it is more popular.

When (not if, this radio is VERY complicated with a steeeeeeeep learning curve) you need help, LOTS of people have one. With the Graupner, not so much.

About that complication. The Taranis is amazing. Going from a simple Turnigy 9X to a Taranis was like going from a bumper car to the space shuttle. Once you get the controls down for the space shuttle, you can go lots of places the bumper car can't. But it took hours of fiddling and Youtube tutorials before it 'clicked' for me.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Every thing about the taranis at stated above plus the reliability of the ACCST system. You will NEVER drop a signal (under normal flying conditions) with ACCST. I flew in the world record flight with my taranis and the only warning is gave me was for telemetry signals, which you won't necessarily use anyhow. Also, even with a steep learning curve, if you come from a PC background it's not that hard to figure out. It's maybe an hour or two of instructional videos (I'd recommend Painless 360) and you're good to go. Hall effect gimbals aren't a must, and I've gotten along fine without a carry case. That being said, I am looking for one, and it's not a bad idea to protect a nice(er) radio.

Konrad

Posting Elsewhere
Open Tx all the way.

This is what makes the Taranis Plus so powerful. Fr Sky is doing today what Futaba did in the past that is Fr Sky is the giant killer. Futaba killed Kraft, E.K. Logic, Pro Line, etc. Now Fr Sky is doing the same with to Futaba, JR, etc.

When it come to radios I buy more than I can afford as I will have it for decades. The Fr Sky (Open Tx) is very similar in programing philosophy to that of Multiplex. That is the mixes are surface oriented, not set up as most asian radios with their Master slave mixing philosophy.

All the best,
Konrad

Liam B

Ok, so FrSky. I know that the QX-7 lacks two switches. Is it missing anything else programming or telemetry wise?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Taranis - and don't rule out the X7 yet either - it's an excellent radio and if I had purchased it instead of my X9D+ over a year ago, I probably wouldn't have bothered to get the X9D+ - I just don't use that many switches.

Also in your cost calculations, don't forget to look at receiver cost and capabilities.

Liam B