In the market for a new TX

Fbords

Hey guys. I'm currently looking for a new TX under $250 or so. I'm what I would call myself somewhere around an intermediate flyer of primarily fixed wing models. Up to now, majority of my electronics are Spektrum, and I have a DX5e that came in one of my first RTF kits. As I now have more planes, I'd like to use a programmable radio with more channels for flaps, retracts, etc. I've thought about getting a DX6i, but for the price, am really tempted to get the DX7s. Can anyone provide any insight on whether the 7 is worth the buy over the 6? The DX5 i have now, works, but it doesn't offer any advance features like memory, expo, etc. which I'm looking for :confused:

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
DX7 is worth it over the DX6i. I have a DX6i and I am lacking some functions - specifically more channels.

But, have you considered a 9X or 9XR?

Fbords

DX7 is worth it over the DX6i. I have a DX6i and I am lacking some functions - specifically more channels.

But, have you considered a 9X or 9XR?

No, I've only looked into the DX7 and DX8. Mainly due to the cost involved, and the 8 is just outside my price range. To my knowledge, a true DX9 doesnt exist out here in the US.

lonewolf7717

No, I've only looked into the DX7 and DX8. Mainly due to the cost involved, and the 8 is just outside my price range. To my knowledge, a true DX9 doesnt exist out here in the US.
Colorex is referring to the Turnigy 9x and 9xr...both extremely capable radios for FAR less than anything spectrum has to offer. google them, very popular, lots of online info and easy mods

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
...Can anyone provide any insight on whether the 7 is worth the buy over the 6? .. :confused:
I have a DX7 and a DX8 and am using the DX6i as a "school radio" but know a few with the DX7s. I can only say that the DX7s is well worth the extra over the DX6i.

WombatControl

Certified DT foam addict
The Turnigy 9X or 9XR would be good choices. The 9XR is fairly new, and has some teething issues, but has very good software and is very extensible. The 9X requires some modifications, but is one of the most well-regarded radios and even with all the add-ons you'd need is still an incredible value for the price.

If you got the 9X you would want to get a "Smartieparts" board, a backlight, a transmitter battery, and the OrangeRX DSM2/DSMX module. You'll then want to flash the firmware on your radio to use better software like ER9X. I would recommend getting the 9X without the module if you intend to only use Spektrum receivers. The version with the module uses a good TX/RX system, but the module is hardwired in, and is a pain in the rear to remove.

If you get the 9XR, at this time you'll need to get the OrangeRX module, a battery, and an AVR programmer. Eventually the 9XR will have an inbuilt Spektrum module, but it currently comes with no module.

Either way, figure about $150-200 total with shipping.

The DX7s is a great radio, and what you are paying for is good service and something that you can use out of the box. The Turnigy radios are much, much cheaper, require a bit of fiddling, and can have less quality. It all depends on what your priorities are - if you don't want to fiddle with your TX, the DX7s is a good radio. If you're OK with doing some work and want to save a lot of money, the Turnigy radios are a great choice.

I have a DX6i and a 9X (and a 9XR on the way!) - both are great radios.

I do highly recommend using the OrangeRX receivers sold by HobbyKing - they are a fraction of the price of Spektrum receivers and work just as well. If you're going to fly long ranges get a satellite receiver and mount it 90 degrees to the primary antenna. But for just a parkflyer, all you need is a basic OrangeRX receiver and you're good.

SteveRoby

I have a DX6i & a 9x with a frsky module.
The spektrum feels alot nicer 'in the hands
The 9X has the worst ever menu system: very hard to figure out how to setup/change settings . A bit better after you mod/hack it, but still not user friendly at all. If you need the manual & need to watch a youtube vid to figure out how to setup a plane in menu's, somethings very wrong with the design.

Out of all the expensive 'famous brand name' transmitters Spektrum has the worst reputation for reliablity of hardware & signal. I have had several issues with Spektrum transmitters in the past, and many guys I speak to sold their Spektrums because of ongoing issues & bought Futaba/Hitec etc & now have no issues.
In fact there are running jokes about spektrums with the locals here, eg: if a plane falls out of the sky "running spektrum were you "

A 9x would not be any more reliable than a Spektrum, but is costs far far less (my 9x has a faulty switch, no biggy)
Saying all that, there are still many who have had no issues with Spektrum gear

Many guys dont feel the need to hack/mod the 9X & use it very much as is.

Last edited:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
If you are torn between the DX6i and DX7 it's no contest. The DX7 is way nicer. It's still not a DX8 but it's better than the 6i, It's pretty much smack dab between the 6 and 8. The 7 has more switches and options and a better menu setup but it still has two position switches and no backlight where the 8 uses 3 position switches and has a backlight.

My friend I fly with most often just experienced a gimble problem with his 3 year old DX6i. It's way out of warranty. He sent it back to Horizon Hobby expecting to pay 50 bucks to have it repaired. They fixed it and updated it and sent it back to him for free. Legendary customer service strikes again.

If you like tinkering with radio stuff then you can't go wrong with the Turnigy 9x and 9xr. If you want it to just work and customer service waaay after the sale is important then you can't beat Spektrum or any other Horizon Hobby brand.

The orange rx's are great. They are cheap and reliable. I fly 4 planes and a 550 size nitro helicopter on orange rx's. I haven't had any trouble at all with mine. Most guys I fly with also have orange rx's.

One thing about the orange rx's is that they use DSM2 and not DSMX. If you aren't flying with 20 people at the same time then you won't have issues. The DSMX is a much better connection but DSM2 works just fine most of the time. I've never crashed a plane due to problems with my Spektrum gear.

I personally bought the DX8 because I wanted a reliable nice featured radio that I could use for years to come. It saved up a bit for it and bought the expensive version when they first came out but now you can get the radio only much cheaper. I've never once regretted buying it. I see other guys with 6's and 7's and they can't do what mine can do and I can do it easier due to the really great menus and all the graphic displays.

my .02.