Inches not metric

johanjonker

Inch vs metric.. Whats next .. Mode 1 vs mode 2

In my perfect world, everyone will use metric, and fly mode 1..

Unless you 15 or lost a hand (bravely in war)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Inch vs metric.. Whats next .. Mode 1 vs mode 2

In my perfect world, everyone will use metric, and fly mode 1..

Unless you 15 or lost a hand (bravely in war)
Sorry, I think Mode will always be a function of country. Not sure why the different Modes came about, but I will always fly Mode 2. Something about having roll and pitch on one thumb is comforting to me! :)

Metric is another story. I end up using both but would rather just use metric as it is much easier to convert up or down. Growing up with imperial, I am very well versed in it's fractions, but let's face it, decimals are much easier in your head, add in a base 10 system, and it's child's play. What's not to love?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Sorry, I think Mode will always be a function of country. Not sure why the different Modes came about, but I will always fly Mode 2. Something about having roll and pitch on one thumb is comforting to me! :)

Anyone who's flown an airplane for real, knows that the roll and pitch are either on the flight yoke or control stick. You don't have the throttle and ailerons on the same control in a real plane no matter what country it comes from. I can't fathom why you would have that arrangement.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Do you also get a 45*95 when looking for a 2*4?

Yep. 90 by 45 or 90 by 35 is the standard size for framing timber down here in Australia. In fact in construction we do everything in mm - very accurate.

Mode 1 for me also, despite having flown solo full size before flying RC (because flying a full size aircraft is very different to flying an RC model).

engywook

Hello,

I am always using metric system (normal, I am in Europe) and a good advantage of the metric system is the easy path from one unit to another.

water (pure at 1 atmosphere pression) is a big reference in the system.
it freeze at 0° and boil at 100° Celsius
1 liter of water weight 1 kilo gramme (kilo meaning x1000)
1 gramme of water goes into a cube of 1 centimeter by 1 centimeter by 1 centimeter

So, with some very easy "facts", I just linked volume with weight with distance unit and with the same base, I explained the temperature.

Sometime, understanding the origin of a unit helps to memorize and work with it.

earthsciteach

That is exactly the beauty of the metric system - it was designed to be easy to use and based upon easy reference points, like physical characteristics of pure water. The Standard System is horrible randomness. Here are some examples:

The inch comes from Roman days. The Romans declared that a foot was to be divided into 12 segments. I've also heard that the inch was based on the length from the thumb knuckle to the tip of the thumb.

The foot was defined as the length of a man's foot. Not exactly standard.

The yard was originally based on the circumference of a man's waist (whose waist?). That came from the middle east. King Henry something or another eventually declared it to be the length from his fingertips with arm outstretched to the tip of his nose.

Extend the other arm and the distance from tip to tip is a fathom. Not exactly used much anymore.

The mile was established as the distanced covered by 1000 paces of a Roman Legion (one pace was two steps).

And that is just length. There is no logical connection and conversions are awful. Blech! Give me metric any day - and I grew up with Standard.

andy_spoo

Millimetres are more accurate. None of the crazy multiple decimal places. It's also the worlds standard measurement system for science the world over (including the US).

From the wiki page ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system ):

"The metric system has been officially sanctioned for use in the United States since 1866, but it remains the ONLY industrialised country that has not adopted the metric system as its official system of measurement."

Since websites are used by everyone across the planet, it seems fair to go with the standard.

Having said that :) put both measurement if you can, just to keep people happy eh.

andy_spoo

Most people are right handed, so it makes sense to do the more delicate and more used stuff with your right hand. Acceleration and rudder seem more forgiving to me, and therefore makes sense to use that with the left hand.So mode 2 all the way. Only an opinion though. Each to his/her own.

Mustang7302

I dont mind the metric system. But when it comes down to it, I dont have a frame of reference when I read numbers in millimeters or centimeters; I often convert them to inches or feet to get an idea of scale.

Example: 585mm means bupkis, but 23" inches tells me it is just shy of 2 feet in span.

tramsgar

Some metric advocate site I read advised anyone new to this global standard to find new references, like "1 m that's roughly from the ground up to my bellybutton, 1 kg that's about five apples, 1 l that's how much beer I can drink before ... " instead of constantly converting. The upside is that you only need one reference per unit, because it's decimal.

To top the topic off here's a historic summary of metrics in the US, "Why isn't the U.S. on the metric system?", which I found very interesting.

MrClean

in other words, find the same point of references? Really, if you worked in metric and had to figure out how much an inch was you'd be in the same boat. How many guys know how much a tablespoon is? How many teaspoons is that? How many hecters in 40 acres?

Just broaden your horizon folks, metric has been the language of engineering for years. Your problem is YOU just started in engineering and didn't know it. If you started in model railroading and like steam engines you'd have to learn what a tank engine was, that a Prarie was a 2-6-0. Simple as that. GROW DAMNIT!

Sorry, that was a little strong, Just take this chance to GROW.

It don't hurt ya none.