Inches not metric

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
hmmm . . . interesting map . . . I wonder where the FT crew is, grey or red . . . lemmme see . . . grey or red . . .

huh. funny that . . .

Regardless of where you live, you're going to use the units that you've learned to use. If that's mm metric, good! If that's 1/16ths imperial, so be it. I instinctively know about how long 18" is . . . 450 mm . . . hold on, gotta look that up . . . convert to inches . . .

While it's trivial to convert, you'll see it in those who use metric -- some will instinctively (and consistantly) quote a bread-box-size-diminson in mm, some in decimal meter. We see it here all the time in people who prefer fractional feet or fractional inches. Which is wrong? It's not a question of right or wrong, it's a question of habit and convienience. They've got the habit of using fractional imperial -- as wierd as it feels to those who've grown up using mm metric -- so it's far more convienient to use the unit they understand instinctively. Blame their parents for raising nice, but diminsionally challenged boys ;)

They have, however, started being more careful to give both diminsions not long after this thread started last year. . . when they could remember to do so, that is -- for instance:

sukhoi-review-edit1-still004-png_1407853401.jpg

. . . Impact of this thread? I'd like to think so, but more likley one of David's lasting impacts.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
As a scientist everything I do is in metric. I bought a foreclosure home and so repairs are a constant. Everything in the home is in imperial. I'm versed in both. Here I usually post imperial for others to get a general idea but truth be told the metric side of my ruler has all the pencil marks and razor gouges. I love metric for its precision and in-my-head math. But even my kids are having trouble watching me build in metric.

As a side note, it would be interesting to see if FT fans were more numerous in the States or abroad.

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
Before this thread is locked out, I thought I would give my $.02 by not reading the whole thread and making assumptions without facts!! ...... ;)

Precision manufacturing is in decimal regardless of what system you use. Ive never walked up to a lathe and dialed in 33/64ths it's always 0.515

Who cares what system is used, just stop calling .75" three quarters already! A fraction used in measurement by any other name is still a decimal with a finite end, driven by the tolerance.

Justin

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Maingear,

If it hasn't been closed within a year, it's hard to say it's that controversial ;)

. . . then again . . . I just got wind a certian Teacher just got Mod-like powers, and might be looking for something to smite . . . you know, just to test his new "smite" button.

Tactical Ex

Like what CrafyDan said, people are going to use what is comfortable and familiar. That being said, I was raised in the USA using the imperial system and I prefer the metric system. Why? ... because it simply makes more sense, like driving on the right side of the road ... like the majority of the countries in the world. If you can multiply and divide by 10 ... your golden. However, I think there is no excuse to NOT understand both. If you are in the USA and don't want to learn the formula, we have the internet and smart phones and shouldn't be upset that the measurements given to us using the metric system are unfamiliar to our obscure and overly-complicated imperial system. The same can be said for those abroad ... if you are watching a Flite Test video or reading a Flite Test article ... you obviously have the internet and the same power to find the formula or a website with an applet to do the conversions for you.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Well. Being German I've always used metric for everything. Just as I'm typing this on a laptop with a 15" display ;)

crash bandicoot

It's a decimal point, not a decimal comma

But comma IS the decimal separator! =)

The comma thing also drives me crazy, with decimal POINTS ........ not a comma.
Also, the Brits add the letter "u" to words like they added taxes to the colonies in the 1770s
I am a huge fan of British car terms though. How fun is the word bonnet? Or boot?

As an engineer, I have had to learn both metric and standard. I will say for the people that say only 3 countries use it, Brits still use miles on their highway signs, and India, China, and Korea still make pipe and other things for US companies in standard sizes.

Also, when it gets into things like torque and forces, there are really interesting terms, like foot/lbs, kips, all sorts of things. I do also like horsepower vs kilowatt, kilowatt? My car is not a hair dryer!

I think the main reason it is still around is money. The US has a big enough economy to justify a different standard, for now at least. If China cut off all standard products, and only gave us metric, we would be Metric within the year.

I will say though that I buy Japanese cars for the ease of working on them with all metric tools, except for the lug nuts and the 18" wheels!

Also on the subject of terminology, why do people that live in a boat get different terms. I am almost 30 and only know a few sailing/ocean terms. This may have something to do with the fact that I live in Missouri. But why can't the bow of the boat just be called the front? Everyone knows what the front of a boat is.

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I recent got re-reminded of this song. Amazing song that fits this thread perfectly.

All cool things are in metrics, for example here's just one.
I've got my 9. Well that's 9 millimeters.
Sounds cooler than my point two something inches gun.
The powerful if non-exist "they" will call me communist and call me scum.
But its worth it. Canadians will think we are smart, or at least they will think we are not as dumb!

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
However, I think there is no excuse to NOT understand both. If you are in the USA and don't want to learn the formula, we have the internet and smart phones and shouldn't be upset that the measurements given to us using the metric system are unfamiliar to our obscure and overly-complicated imperial system..

Been in the US for 2.5 years now, and yeah since I live here the imperial system is forced upon me. And yeah I've gotten used to it to some extent. If someone says it's 36 inches I know its just less than 1 meter. A pound is about half a kilo, and so on. But I still can't wrap my head around ounces (fluid or mass)...
I guess I don't drink enough beer ;)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
You could always get a ruler with inches on one edge and the metric stuff on the other edge.

What *CONSTANTLY* amazes me about these rulers . . . almost all of them start the scale on opposite sides! very few can you look across the ruler and see "Oh, 3 in is a little over 7.5cm". WHY?!? It would make the tool just that more useful :p

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Lol good point Dan! And yeah I have those rulers, since it's either both metric and imperial, or imperial only :black_eyed:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
What *CONSTANTLY* amazes me about these rulers . . . almost all of them start the scale on opposite sides! very few can you look across the ruler and see "Oh, 3 in is a little over 7.5cm". WHY?!? It would make the tool just that more useful :p

Because people usually rotate the ruler to have "their" units on top and want to have it count from left to right then?