Individual ESC vs All in One, what's the most advisable?

lpinho

Hi all,
I'm build a new quad, I've been out of this for a few years now, and there's a lot of new things that I didn't had a few years back.
One of the things that I liked is an All In One (ex: Racerstar TattooF4S 30A), I think the build would be much cleaner.
So, what are you guying using? 4 ESCs + Flight Controler or an All in One?

Thanks for you replies and its nice to be back.

Luís Pinho

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Hi all,
I'm build a new quad, I've been out of this for a few years now, and there's a lot of new things that I didn't had a few years back.
One of the things that I liked is an All In One (ex: Racerstar TattooF4S 30A), I think the build would be much cleaner.
So, what are you guying using? 4 ESCs + Flight Controler or an All in One?

Thanks for you replies and its nice to be back.

Luís Pinho
If one ESC goes bad, it can be replaced. If one ESC on all in one goes bad, your replacing the whole thing.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I'm not much of a quad guy but when I do build cheap and cheerful quads to cruise around I like the separate ESC approach because when I have trashed it I can make four planes!

DamoRC

lpinho

I'm not much of a quad guy but when I do build cheap and cheerful quads to cruise around I like the separate ESC approach because when I have trashed it I can make four planes!

DamoRC

Hummm, you are right about that, there's always spare parts :)

I prefer 4 in 1's... with proper setup you are unlikely to burn out a ESC and its much neater! stops prop strikes too.

That's my doubt, nice build vs spare parts. It seems the world is divided on this one :) Nice reminder regarding the prop strikes, for some reason on of my ESCs that was stuck in place with zip ties and one of them fell off (vibration maybe) and it struck a blade. Do you have a favorite 4 in 1?

Thanks for your opinions,
Luis Pinho

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I have two quads - One using the Racerstar 35A all in one ESC and one using invividual Multistar ESCs. As far as usage, there's no difference. The all in one has two advantages, its neater and the connection to the flight controller is often just a small ribbon cable if you buy matched boards and it keeps the mass closer to the centre of the quad making for less inertia when rotating the quad.