Innaviation Youtube channel - First FPV freestyle???

Timmy

Legendary member
I have a dillema! I want to put LEDs in my Arrow but I allso want to use your mid flight painting strategy. Wut do I do?

Innaviation

I have a dillema! I want to put LEDs in my Arrow but I allso want to use your mid flight painting strategy. Wut do I do?
I would paint the top then do LEDs underneath so you could still fly at night but also have a cool paint scheme.

Also if you do the painting technic make sure you have a proven way to launch it without touching the paint.

Innaviation

Actually, if you're truly torn between the LED's or painting it, you should just post a forum thread with a poll to have everyone else make the decision for you

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Build the wing with the leds inside. Use masking tape (I suggest Frog tape as it leaves no residue after removal and still remains solid with no wicking at the edges of the tape like paper tape does) to cover any areas you dont want paint on and go about the process of painting. When that is finished and dry remove the masking tape and you have both painted parts and leds on your wing.

Timmy

Legendary member
Build the wing with the leds inside. Use masking tape (I suggest Frog tape as it leaves no residue after removal and still remains solid with no wicking at the edges of the tape like paper tape does) to cover any areas you dont want paint on and go about the process of painting. When that is finished and dry remove the masking tape and you have both painted parts and leds on your wing.
That's what I was thinking! However I'm not sure the paint will have much space to droop because I want my LEDs facing backwards like this:

P1130916.JPG

I'll try to paint it anyways. If the paint spreads too much I'll just ditch the LEDs

My arm is looking good!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice rip bud. You have progressed well so far so the next phase would be to gather a few more batteries minimum of five and better ten over time. Flying one battery as you said in this video it is dead before you warm up and get comfortable. the more you can fly back to back the better and more consistent you become.

While you are saving up for batteries start working on these trick in a sim as well as dedicating some real flight time practicing these. The split S is one of the main ones to get down as many others build off of that one maneuver.

Innaviation

Nice rip bud. You have progressed well so far so the next phase would be to gather a few more batteries minimum of five and better ten over time. Flying one battery as you said in this video it is dead before you warm up and get comfortable. the more you can fly back to back the better and more consistent you become.

While you are saving up for batteries start working on these trick in a sim as well as dedicating some real flight time practicing these. The split S is one of the main ones to get down as many others build off of that one maneuver.

Thanks for the tips! I definitely want to get the split-s down but I am having some issues with that trick. Whenever I come to the falling down portion of the trick and I want to level out, the quad gets pretty wobbly and doesn't make it look very smooth. Is this my problem or do I need to change some settings on the quad?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Partially tune, partially because you are falling straight down into your own prop wash. You want to use roll and yaw at the same time to do the flip over faster so you can keep what you are split s over in sight. Then as you start to fall you want to already be moving forward as you smoothly power back up to catch the quad as it drops. The forward motion as it starts to fall will get you past the dirty air and solve 80% of the wobbles n shakes.

Try open field split s at higher altitudes to get the feel for the two axis rolls so you are fully inverted at the apex of the punch up. Then ease into the pitch and throttle to aim and level out as you move forward (towards the gap when you get the split s down good) Same thing with power loops you want to be moving forward as you fall to get out of the turbulent air below you as you fall.

Innaviation

I've been flying with TBS triumph antennas for a while know but today I'm trying out some cheap 15$ antennas to see how they compare.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've been flying with TBS triumph antennas for a while know but today I'm trying out some cheap 15$ antennas to see how they compare.

You don't say if that is price each, or price for a pair. $40 for one of those TBS antennas is a rip-off. I have several, and they have stood up to some serious abuse, but they are far from the best from a signal quality perspective. You should try some VAS minion antennas. https://www.readymaderc.com/products/details/video-aerial-systems-minion-pro-antenna-rhcp-sma-short. Not only do they have higher gain than the majority of antennas, they have a very good axial ratio.

The other thing not mentioned in the video is what are you using on the receiver side of the video link? What RX are you using? Does it have diversity? Lots of questions as to what the whole setup is. More power does not always equate to a better signal either. I have run a mile out (GPS distance on OSD) on 200mw with 100% video rssi.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Innaviation

You don't say if that is price each, or price for a pair. $40 for one of those TBS antennas is a rip-off. I have several, and they have stood up to some serious abuse, but they are far from the best from a signal quality perspective. You should try some VAS minion antennas. https://www.readymaderc.com/products/details/video-aerial-systems-minion-pro-antenna-rhcp-sma-short. Not only do they have higher gain than the majority of antennas, they have a very good axial ratio.

The other thing not mentioned in the video is what are you using on the receiver side of the video link? What RX are you using? Does it have diversity? Lots of questions as to what the whole setup is. More power does not always equate to a better signal either. I have run a mile out (GPS distance on OSD) on 200mw with 100% video rssi.

Cheers!
LitterBug
Hey LitterBug, thanks for the tips and advice.

In regards to my RX and whole setup, I tried to eliminate as much of that as possible since the majority of the test was a comparison between the antennas, not a test of each antennas independent range (although that would be interesting to find out as well). If you are wondering I used a Eachine TX and an old pair of Eachine Ev800's, so no diversity.

I did do some research into what effect different mw's have on signal range and 200mw it definitely the optimum signal for flying long range with lots of interference and other quads but when your flying in a secluded area 800mw's is supposedly further range. Since my TX and RX are both pretty bad I probably won't be able to fly far either way.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Did the same tests back when I started. Used expensive antennas and when I started using racing gates I was killing 2 or more antennas a month hooking them on gates. Then I switched to the 2 for $15 dollar Aomway antennas and flew the same with no issues. Eventually I started just flying dipoles since track racing is always so close. Bought a six pack of antennas 3 years ago.. still have 4 in the original bag.

Now if I do use a CP antenna for longer distance free style or for high speed testing I simple use an Axii stubby. They are nearly indestructible. Super low profile and weight and REALLY well tuned. They are also far cheaper then TBS hype train stuff. Guess thats the price people pay for cookie cutter life without research.