Input welcome on freeform design please

Liemavick

Mentor
I had some down time and a idea born from other designs I've seen. I started with a blank canvas and started drawing and cutting and this is what I came up with. The biggest flaw I see is when I drew the wing I didnt allow for it to have enough material to completely close on the underside. Hence I have ended up with 1/2" gap thats open on the underside. I've read a bit on the K wing designs after the fact, and although that wasnt my intention do you think it will fly like one or will the open back create to much turbulance? Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Brian

DSCN0037.JPG DSCN0039.jpg

earthsciteach

You are going to need an ENORMOUS amount of nose weight for this plane. My suggestion, to minimize the amount of weight needed, is to extend the central pod out past the nose. You may be looking at doubling the length (or more) of the current one.

Your design looks really nice. But, you have the concept of a delta or flying wing combined with a horizontal tail surface. Delta winged planes have the widest portion of the wing at the rear of the plane. Flying wings are very particular about cg location. By attaching a horizontal tail surface to either of these, the downforce of that surface compounds the difficulty with a cg being too far aft.

Another idea is to extend the twin booms forward of the wing. Heck, maybe even make it a twin!

Oh-and the gap at the rear of the wing in no big deal, in my opinion. As you stated, the original KF wings (developed on paper airplanes) used this exact feature.

Liemavick

Mentor
Thanks Teach! My thought was to put a 3S in the front of the pod and push it with a 24 gram 1300. I glide tested it with no electronics a short distance and surprisingly it flew well and level. As you can see I have a lot to learn, but damn if it aint fun trying. I actually was trying to stabilize the the wing by using the tail configuration. Hmmm twin motors, this could get interesting. :)

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
Reminds me a lot of my Wind Fighter I made based off of a Funbat. Thing flew great. If your glide tests came out good, then I think you are set

a4879771-77-SS850889.jpg