Inq'd Turbo Storch

Inq

Elite member
Since I wrecked my Storch, I decided it was time to Inq' it. This one is mostly a cosmetic change since I damaged the front-end and needed to do some surgery anyway. I'll be cutting off the front-end, just in front of the wing and replacing it with this.
Front Quarter.png

The top will come off for easy access to the motor, ESC and battery replacement. The ESC will be braced with all sides exposed, directly in the airflow of the intake. The simulated Turboprop exhaust are functional in that they should exhaust air from around the motor.

Cut Away.png

Last edited:

Inq

Elite member
The first piece has come off the printer. Using this transparent plastic, it kind of looks wavy. Actually the exterior is quite smooth. This is caused by using Cura's, "Adaptive Layers" which uses finer layers when the slope of the surface can benefit with higher resolution. 3.4 grams so far.

In case I accidentally get good enough to put some serious power in the Storch, this can fit the 530w, D4215 motor. :cool:

PXL_20221212_221425455.jpg

Last edited:

Inq

Elite member
Second piece off the printer is the main structural frame with integrated motor mount. This piece weighs a whopping 20.4 grams.
Frame.jpg

Foamforce

That’s so cool! Stuff like this makes me want to get into 3D printing. I just know that it’s an entire hobby by itself, and I need to perform a little hobby triage. 😂

Nice work, and I’m looking forward to seeing it on the plane!

Inq

Elite member
The lower part transitioning from the air intake to the square cross-section of the FT Storch came out far better than I could have hoped. As before it uses the Cura Adaptive Layers technique to do finer layers when the slope gets more horizontal, but there isn't as much of that in this one so the transitions look less like waves in the plastic. Also I am using Cura's Spiralize Outer Contour. This is sometimes called Vase Mode where it only does one wall thickness and never lifts the head. It just spirals around and around till it reaches the top. This gives the best surface treatment with very little post processing needed. Painting should make this shine. This piece weighs 11 grams.
C3.png

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
Inq
Impressive printing.
The only issue really is the very limited crash resistance of such thin single wall structures.
I tend to limit my vase printing to EDF ducts where they are largely protected by a relatively thick foam body.

I have been impressed with LW-PLA for the same sort of thing. It foams as it is laid so a vase print single wall can be 0.7 mm thick and is no heavier than a 0.3 mm 'solid' wall.
0.7mmWall.JPG

It is much less brittle than normal PLA so it can also be distorted to a much greater degree before it fails.

Inq

Elite member
I have been impressed with LW-PLA for the same sort of thing.

(y)

3DLabPrint also recommends that LW-PLA on some of their planes. It sounds like the perfect solution to thin-walled, oil-canning that I have to deal with, with the ABS. But I've learned to put in the stringers to solve that. I've been wanting to get a roll of it, but I have a stockpile of ABS that I got at $9.90/Kg. It's tough to chomp down on 3-5X price premium. Maybe once I get good enough not to crash every time I go out. :rolleyes: Also working with it... some foam, some are pre-foamed, got to eliminate all printer retracts, and even still its reputed to clog the extruder which is something I've not had to do with 81 kilometers of ABS.

Eventually, I'll play with it.

Inq

Elite member
The only issue really is the very limited crash resistance of such thin single wall structures.

Plus... ABS is a lot tougher than people might think that only use PLA. Remember most exterior cosmetic car bumpers are made of the stuff and a bazillion other things that get abused like Lego's. These 100 mm diameter wheels only use 2 walls (0.8 mm total thickness) and weigh 8.5 grams. That means they cost me... 17¢ for the pair. I wouldn't bend down to pick up 17¢ in the parking lot.

... and with my flying record of crashes and hard landings that bend 1/8" Music Wire, these same two wheels have been on three planes now. :rolleyes:

PXL_20221213_144625656.jpg

Wheel.png

Inq

Elite member
The Pooch was screwed! You know the rule where you measure twice before cutting with the table saw... well they didn't extend it to measure twice before making 3D CAD models.

I've spent pretty much the whole day...
Thank God for being retired and not answering to anyone... well at least till my wife comes home.

Basically.... I had to start over from scratch. Somehow the idiot in charge of measuring (me. myself and I) measured the height in front of the wing at 104 mm... Well... 104 mm isn't even close. So all the pictures above are... for crap!

I've spent the pretty much the whole day trying to get back to the same state as I was above. The printer is in overdrive... I'm almost able to CAD up at the rate that the printer can spit out the results.

Here is the Inq'd Turbo Storch... without a spinner.
FUBAR 2.png

... well ... half of it. :cool:

Last edited:

Inq

Elite member
Finished and assembled all the parts. A little heavier than I would have liked, and I could have saved some on the main structural piece. 64 grams. Live and learn. Weighed the front-end and the power pod that this replaces and they were 45 grams. A little hard to see in the transparent ABS. Next, I need to do a little sanding and maybe some filling. Note - The knurled latch to hold down the top.
PXL_20221214_194435522.jpg

It's a little easier to see the contours with the CAD model.

Parts.png

Inq

Elite member
Do this engines use a rotary engine

I can't quite tell if you're serious... it's a GE Advanced Turboprop. It uses a relatively small jet engine. Instead of using the jet blasting out the back, it runs it through more stages of a turbine to generate shaft horsepower. In this particular one, it makes about 1600 HP.