Inspired by Alex - Acrobatic Air 2 Air FPV with QAV250 and Bixler

Singinius

So I have been loving some of the moves Alex has been pulling off in his air to air footage! I had some fun yesterday pulling off similar moves with my QAV250 and a newbie FPV pilot on the Bixler. Got a couple flips and hesitation roll in there with the Bix in sight, we even pulled off a semi coordinated loop/roll combo!

Cheers,
Sin

Biff45452

Your footage looks good but you aren't flying responsibly. Landing on statues and flying so close to an airport, I don't think that's going to get you much praise around here.

Singinius

All of the sites in this video are beyond 5 miles from an active airport. Alameda flight line is closed. If you are offended by me doing a touch and go with a 250 quad on the wing of a statue then you have my apologies.

Biff45452

According to google maps that statue is 4.72 miles from the Oakland International Airport. I did not say I was offended, I said you were being irresponsible.

map.jpg

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
If you are offended by me doing a touch and go with a 250 quad on the wing of a statue then you have my apologies.

You did plop down on it pretty hard. I would tend to agree that if an official (either of the law or a representative of the area) watched you they'd ask you to leave.

Not trying to jump on the critic train. Videos look great. Very cool!

According to google maps that statue is 4.72 miles from the Oakland International Airport. I did not say I was offended, I said you were being irresponsible.

View attachment 33750

Last edited:

AeroMaestro

I've been practicing this kind of flying in the Phoenix simulator. (Which has a limited number of quadcopter models, but the Blade 180 seems to fly a little like an underpowered 250 quad.)

Since Phoenix only lets you fly FPV in 3d landscapes, the tough part is finding other online users who are willing to fly in a 3d landscape. But I like to zip around and try all these kinds of rolls and loops in FPV on Phoenix where the stakes are low.

AeroMaestro

All of the sites in this video are beyond 5 miles from an active airport. Alameda flight line is closed. If you are offended by me doing a touch and go with a 250 quad on the wing of a statue then you have my apologies.

I don't intend to engage in any sort of argument on this subject. (Leave that for other, more contentious forums.) But one of the 11 things that the FAA cited in their case against Trappy was:
Code:
"You operated the aircraft within approximately 15 feet of a UVA statue."
I'm not here to chastise you. Just to let you know that statues are one of the things the FAA is currently fussy about.

Last edited:

SnowRocker88

I'm not here to chastise you. Just to let you know that statues are one of the things the FAA is currently fussy about.

I'd hate to see their recourse for a painted aluminum 'statue'. Scratch that paint and they'd probably try to make an example out of you.

SnowRocker88

I don't think anyone is trying to dog on you. Just pointing out that with the heightened state of attention and criticism that the whole FPV "drone" issue is seeing the sensationalists would have a hay-day with that last video (the one you removed). It was some awesome flying. You are truly a talented pilot.

I think I speak for everyone when I say I hope our comments won't deter you from sharing your adventures with the forum.

Singinius

Thanks Snow. Its fine, I agree that the hobby needs positive representation at this point and is under heightened scrutiny these days. Rather than debate the point publicly, I figured I would just pull the video.