InstaMorph R/C Plane repair

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
InstaMorph is a revolutionary new moldable plastic. As soon as I became aware of this stuff I had to have it! I bought the biggest container they sold...
IMG_8838.jpg

I was very excited to find my first project. Fortunately I just crashed my Multiplex Twinstar II. This plane has definitely seen better days. However I was not ready to decommission her just yet.
IMG_8846.JPG

The rear main wing attachment was a proprietary component made of plastic. There are a number of ways I could fix this. But this particular job seemed to be perfect for InstaMorph!
IMG_8847.JPG

InstaMorph is activated by heat. The instructions call for putting InstaMorph into a cup of 140 degree water for 2 minutes.
IMG_8852.JPG

IMG_8853.JPG

I heated a Christmas Mickey Mouse mug of water in the microwave.
Water-In-Microwave.png

I made a video to show the molding process:

All done!!
IMG_8859.JPG
IMG_8864.JPG

I added a piece of masking tape overtop of the finished piece to protect it from the sun. I have flown the Twinstar II multiple times since this repair... seems to be working just fine.
IMG_8867.JPG

See the article on FliteTest.com here:
http://flitetest.com/articles/InstaMorph_R/C_Plane_Repair

Last edited:

con244

Very nice Chad! Wonder how long it'll be before we see this product down under. Nothing more annoying than having those small propriety plastic bits breaking and rendering a favourite plane unflyable. Does the plastic feel strong and ridgid once set?
Con

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Very nice Chad! Wonder how long it'll be before we see this product down under. Nothing more annoying than having those small propriety plastic bits breaking and rendering a favourite plane unflyable. Does the plastic feel strong and ridgid once set?
Con

It's somewhat flexible. On the rigid scale, I would say it's between hot glue and nylon. You can't break it. It has enough flex to feel indestructible. It almost feels waxy, yet it'll bond to PVC. Very weird stuff!

I think it was brought here by aliens.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
can we build motor mounts with it ?? sometimes we need odd shaped motor mounts and it looks easier than cut a wood piece.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Only if your motor stays cool... Looking at Chad re-heat the stuff for the nobbly bits, I think most motors would melt it, especially if behind a spinner or inside a canopy

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Only if your motor stays cool... Looking at Chad re-heat the stuff for the nobbly bits, I think most motors would melt it, especially if behind a spinner or inside a canopy

Good point, but i was wandering about my diablo shockflyer type of planes ... flat form, all exposed no big spinner....

anyway, i like it :D

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Could work... Chad, does it shrink at all when it cools?

I don't think it shrinks at all... not that I've noticed. Also, if you're running the right prop/battery with your motor it shouldn't get hot at all. It hink this stuff would be awesome for motor mounts.