Instrument RC Flying

Figure9

Elite member
Has anybody ever done any FPV instrument flying with no outside camera view, like instruction you’d get full scale under the hood? RC models today have gyros, GPS & telemetry that could provide all of that in an instrument panel format & your spotter could function as your ground control operator by line of sight. It can be done & I bet somebody is doing it. Hey, we know the military is.

Figure9

Elite member
It’s technically illegal in most countries. Cool in theory though.

Wow, that’s strict.
It’s not illegal to fly FPV in the US but requires a 2nd person as a spotter maintaining line of sight as I indicated. The person with the FPV hood does the flying but I’m of the opinion the spotter is probably the PIC. You see the Flite Test camera drones flying FPV all the time but the difference would be the spotter would be making the flight direction calls & the pilot with the FPV hood would only be watching the equivalent of an instrument panel provided by telemetry. It can obviously be done on a simulator but has anybody tried it with an RC? It could even be backed up with a WiFi buddy box to the spotter & still would be challenging. :unsure::coffee:;)