Solved Insurance and safety

OlliePackman

I am 14 years old and I am looking at starting a flying club in the UK at my school with under 15s. The 2 fields that we could use are out of the way of livestock, people and houses and does not endanger anything. The majority of aircraft is likely to be all electric micro quads and small helicopters with the occasional plane. I am Insured with the BMFA but I am not sure whether other less experienced flyers would need to be insured because I know of new laws about unmanned aircraft etc but I am not 100 percent certain on the regulation. Any ideas?

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
Ollie, are you on school property? If so check with the staff if you would be covered under the school policy. I would strongly recommend that all members of your new club are insured either through the BMFA or maybe by your school. There is also country club insurance in the UK which is cheaper than BMFA membership, you could look into that.

https://www.ccc3.co.uk/drone

You are right to be worried about insurance. All it would take is one of the members to get hit in the face by even a small drone and either you, your parents or the school could be in big trouble. Very best wishes with your new club, please keep us updated with how you are getting on with it.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
You will need to have a registered pilot in charge of all flights with things over 250g. If it’s a school activity and on their premises or supervised by their staff then it should be possible to register some staff members and add the activity to the school liability insurance.
I would also put the school and your local BMFA club in contact with each other as they will have access to solutions since the BMFA is involved in national flight programs with schools and universities, I am sure they will have come across this before.

OlliePackman

Ollie, are you on school property? If so check with the staff if you would be covered under the school policy. I would strongly recommend that all members of your new club are insured either through the BMFA or maybe by your school. There is also country club insurance in the UK which is cheaper than BMFA membership, you could look into that.

You are right to be worried about insurance. All it would take is one of the members to get hit in the face by even a small drone and either you, your parents or the school could be in big trouble. Very best wishes with your new club, please keep us updated with how you are getting on with it.
Yes it is on school property. I am going through the logistics with the head teacher to sort everything out and have proposed the question of insurance. I am concerned that every one need to have insurance will lower interest but if it needs to be done then I will meet the nesecarry requirements.

OlliePackman

You will need to have a registered pilot in charge of all flights with things over 250g. If it’s a school activity and on their premises or supervised by their staff then it should be possible to register some staff members and add the activity to the school liability insurance.
I would also put the school and your local BMFA club in contact with each other as they will have access to solutions since the BMFA is involved in national flight programs with schools and universities, I am sure they will have come across this before.
I will have my basic proficiency license either A or C whichever way round it goes before the club gets going and I am also insured. Does this mean that I could technically be in charge of all the aircraft under 250g without any one else needing there own insurance.

FDS

Elite member
No, only an adult can be the registered pilot. Read the UK drone rules, they apply to planes as well. Your BMFA registration just means that you don’t have to register with the government scheme. Technically you cannot fly without a supervising registered pilot. Welcome to the total bollocks that is regulation.
Your insurance covers your liability and any damage incurred by your flying, not anyone else and only within the limits of the regs. I cant comment on how the BMFA regulates under 18’s since I am not a member.
Currently anything under 250g all up weight is exempt from registration.
School may require conditions for their own liability but the government can’t stop you flying.
If it’s over 250g with battery then the rules apply, including the above about being registered etc.
I fly the little indoor whoop drones with young people for work, there’s no issues with that. Schools run drone racing clubs with micro size indoor quads all the time, there’s a whole program set up for that through STEM.

Last edited:

OlliePackman

No, only an adult can be the registered pilot. Read the UK drone rules, they apply to planes as well. Your BMFA registration just means that you don’t have to register with the government scheme. Technically you cannot fly without a supervising registered pilot. Welcome to the total bollocks that is regulation.
So I would need one of the guys from my club there to do it legally.

OlliePackman

Also, would the insurance that you can purchase from your link cover everyone who flies at the school with me?

FDS

Elite member
School’s own liability insurance will easily cover flying sub 250g stuff, it just needs supervision and a risk assessment by a suitably qualified member of staff.
You could do cool indoor flying in sports halls, even with planes. There are lots of plans for foam sheet indoor planes around.

OlliePackman

School’s own liability insurance will easily cover flying sub 250g stuff, it just needs supervision and a risk assessment by a suitably qualified member of staff.
You could do cool indoor flying in sports halls, even with planes. There are lots of plans for foam sheet indoor planes around.
All I need to be assured of is that <250g aircraft is fine for non BMFA registered pilots to fly at school as long as there is a member of staff present and the school liability insurance covers the activity.

FDS

Elite member
School can tell you wether their liability will cover it. Yes sub 250 at the moment has no limits as long as you fly sensibly etc.
If you have questions about the rules your BMFA club should be able to tell you about how to work with them.

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
Also, would the insurance that you can purchase from your link cover everyone who flies at the school with me?

Ollie. No that insurance is for individuals. If you were looking for private insurance to cover all you would be talking BIG money. I would take FDS's advice and see if the school's insurance can cover this. I'm pretty sure the school would only allow the activity if it were properly insured to do so.

OlliePackman

I want my son to learn for the pilot as well, so this question pumps into my head. What kind of insurance? Do we have to look for a private company but here is big money. Or ask the school if they provide something. Being a minor, I was looking for some answers on how do we get insurance. Thanks, guys for this information, I'm not very good at such things, I'm an engineer.
I never followed it up because it was getting really tricky to sort out insurance. I'm not sure whether the schools liability insurance would cover the damage to anything if someone crashed into a window or something silly like that which you have to be covered for. If it does then each member will need to be bmfa registered and have done the online test etc, just as if you were flying as a normal club.