Introducing The “How Did That Happen?” Challenge 2020

OliverW

Legendary member
What happens when the switch controlling all electronics on board decides to quit working running nitro.
Straight in about as tight as she could go engine just a screaming until the sudden stop from about 250 feet up. There is a nitro engine on the front about 4 to 5 inches down in the dirt. Power and torque.

View attachment 184882 View attachment 184883

What happens when doing an inverted high speed pass......flying inverted down is up and up is expensive.

View attachment 184884 View attachment 184885

Both on the same day should of stayed in bed I think.
That happened to me too with a 70cc plane... I learned the hard way never to trust a miracle switch

OliverW

Legendary member
I was cruising along, everything was fine and dandy until all of a sudden it dove into the dirt. Turns out the power switch failed...
20191006_145506.jpg

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I was cruising along, everything was fine and dandy until all of a sudden it dove into the dirt. Turns out the power switch failed... View attachment 184895
Damn. Reminds me of a club member who somehow thought putting 6 high voltage servos worth of amperage through a tiny switch was a good idea. Resulted in his very expensive turbine model looking like this but more burny

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I had that happen but I'm still not certain what caused it. I was cruising out when BAM! into the to the ground goes my second scratchbuild. That was the BluCub 2 above. It died.

CorsaiRC

my tiny whoop battery came off mid-flight and I "landed" under my oven an it took FOREVER to get it:)

2jujube7

Here's another (extremely) successful flight with FPV. My controls gave out at around 60ft above the ground, and I went straight into a tree. Nothing was broken too badly and there was no one around :censored:
tree!.PNG

tesseract

Master member
Well thats sad. Its said that russian spies copied the Concorde and made the Tu144 for the USSR. They used cheap materials. This is why everyone hated it
Spoiler!

Piotrsko

Master member
The only switch that won't fail is one that isn't there. I will accept the inevitable failure of my plugs from fatigue. That at least gives the attentive a failure warning.

Bricks

Master member
I was looking at rc aircraft power switches recently and one specified "fails to the on position" or something similar. I don't know how they do that, but it seems like a good idea to have a switch that won't kill the plane if it decides to die.

I have ordered parts for this mosfet switch which fails to the on position, a simple but elegant design, and very cheap to build and it will handle up to 250 amps if by chance a servo jams.

The vibration from gas and glow engines are hard on mechanical switches.

RC Groups - View Single Post - Electronic receiver switch.