Introducing The “How Did That Happen?” Challenge 2020

Andrew

G'day Mate
I'll never trust plastic geared servos again in anything expensive or fast, I have a bad habit of striping the aileron servo gear's with them.
DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

Last edited:

BoredGuy

I’d like some input here, how likely is it for all this to happen on a maiden flight?
I would be kinda miffed if all this happened on my first time out...

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I’d like some input here, how likely is it for all this to happen on a maiden flight?
I would be kinda miffed if all this happened on my first time out...
Things like loss of signal are fairly uncommon if you set up your gear correctly. The other stuff like getting a tree in the wing and hitting a tree are also uncommon, but only as long as you fly in the right area, far from trees and with a clear landing area. The most common thing that goes wrong for me is bad plane design (my fault if it is my own design) and incorrect balance (also my fault). If everything is set up right and you know how to fly you should be good to go. If you don't know how to fly, however, you may crash a couple times. Don't give up though, we all crash and after some practice you will be able to fly properly. I would also like to add in that a lot of these things are really weird and most likely will not happen to you for a long time. I don't think that any of these things have happened to me in 4 years of flying (that isn't very long but if it didn't happen in that time it is probably pretty rare).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I challenge anyone to be this precise. Crash into the four inch pole that supports satellite dishes so perfectly you dont even scratch the inside of your arms or motor bells. So perfectly you dont even touch the lens ring for the lens you smash.

Notice the case for the lens is split into 4 separate pieces.

I was flying in what people may say were problematic windy conditions not suited for any rc flight when this happened. I wanted to test just how well I had this lil beastie set up and just how much wind could a 4 inch quad handle.. Just to let you know.. a LOT of wind.

I was flying around the playset out back testing the tiny whoop rates I use on this in winds steady about 12 to 15 mph and gusting well over 20 mph at times. I figured I was low enough and in between buildings and the corn field that flying in ground effect would make me tumble at best.

Not sure how but a gust came and launched the quad from about 2 or 3 inches off the ground to over 30 ft in an instant. It went up over the playset, in between branches of a tree and I finally settled it just over the roof edge about 10 feet above. I wanted to get low as fast as possible and away from the tree so I nosed down hard and chopped throttle taking a steep angle back down.

As I cleared the tree and was about 15 ft above ground the cross wind took over and pushed me back in line where I started from. All was good until the wind stopped cold. ZERO ZIP NADDA.. not even strong enough to be a fart. This dropped the quad nearly to the ground in an instant so I hit the throttle to recover and by the time I arrested the fall there was the pole. PANG!!!! and the view went all spider webby.

I couldn't have hit that lens more perfectly using a scoped rifle. Not so much as a scratch on the paint for the arms or top plate..

20200617_121222.jpg

L Edge

Master member
When my son and I added Formula 1(200mph) in addition to Q500(135mph) racing, I decided to do a team approach so we dressed alike and had the same color pattern for our Formula 1 birds. Being on 72 megs, we both had orange freq so we could not race each other. So he was my caller for laps and I vice vera.(no way I could beat him even being 11years old)
At a meet on an Air Force base, we were rushed to prepare for next round of flights, so we hurried out carry the equipment to the line just in time for him to get set, fly. I released the plane and I could see he was upset as it started a slow right roll. He regained and did his 10 laps(he still won the heat).
Next heat, my turn to fly, he releases the plane and I get airborn and start rolling fast (we are facing the duty runway) so aileron stick full over, plane now is going straight ahead closing the distance to the active runway. No choice, stuff the plane. It hit the ground and destroyed itself.
The CD was very upset and so were we.
Long story short-- How did it happen? Dressing and having identical planes, not recommended. What happen was(being in a rush and having the same frequency) I grabbed my plane and my son flew it were the trims were only slightly off, so he had good control to offset the slow roll.

DuH!!!!!!! I grabbed his plane with my transmitter-same frequency, where the trims were totally different and when it got into the air, it was rolling out of control and applying full aileron stopped it. Moving now at about 280 ft/sec, no choice, stuff it.

You can bet, that my backup planes were painted before the next meet.

CorsaiRC

When my son and I added Formula 1(200mph) in addition to Q500(135mph) racing, I decided to do a team approach so we dressed alike and had the same color pattern for our Formula 1 birds. Being on 72 megs, we both had orange freq so we could not race each other. So he was my caller for laps and I vice vera.(no way I could beat him even being 11years old)
At a meet on an Air Force base, we were rushed to prepare for next round of flights, so we hurried out carry the equipment to the line just in time for him to get set, fly. I released the plane and I could see he was upset as it started a slow right roll. He regained and did his 10 laps(he still won the heat).
Next heat, my turn to fly, he releases the plane and I get airborn and start rolling fast (we are facing the duty runway) so aileron stick full over, plane now is going straight ahead closing the distance to the active runway. No choice, stuff the plane. It hit the ground and destroyed itself.
The CD was very upset and so were we.
Long story short-- How did it happen? Dressing and having identical planes, not recommended. What happen was(being in a rush and having the same frequency) I grabbed my plane and my son flew it were the trims were only slightly off, so he had good control to offset the slow roll.

DuH!!!!!!! I grabbed his plane with my transmitter-same frequency, where the trims were totally different and when it got into the air, it was rolling out of control and applying full aileron stopped it. Moving now at about 280 ft/sec, no choice, stuff it.

You can bet, that my backup planes were painted before the next meet.
lol

Piotrsko

Master member
I have ordered parts for this mosfet switch which fails to the on position, a simple but elegant design, and very cheap to build and it will handle up to 250 amps if by chance a servo jams.

The vibration from gas and glow engines are hard on mechanical switches.

Ummm the control gate fails "on" not the base junctions. On elcheapo knock offs I have failures where the chip wasn't capable of running more than 1 amp and one failure were the silicon came loose from the die. Not sure if I want a failure on my power switches to turn on electronics un-commanded. Definitely dont want this as a controller in the Ranger with brushed DC.

I think the best solution is build your own switch harness from known good tested switches preferably 4pst or 4pdt.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
Ummm the control gate fails "on" not the base junctions. On elcheapo knock offs I have failures where the chip wasn't capable of running more than 1 amp and one failure were the silicon came loose from the die. Not sure if I want a failure on my power switches to turn on electronics un-commanded. Definitely dont want this as a controller in the Ranger with brushed DC.

I think the best solution is build your own switch harness from known good tested switches preferably 4pst or 4pdt.

I think you are misunderstanding how the Mosfet switch works, by if it fails the power stays on to control the plane not like a normal switch that when it fails the switch fails to off so loose entire control of your plane. With the Mosfet you will never loose control of the aircraft, unless something else goes wrong like battery connections etc, it is designed for glow and gassers where vibrations can kill contacts in a normal switch, not meant for electrics no need for one.