Introducing the Javelin, simple yet sporty

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
I recently set out to build a plane based off of the C pack to use a wide variety of batteries and still accept a 2200mAh 3s. Simple but fun designs are some of the best. I was shooting for a jack of all trades flight envelope and I think I nailed it. The large surface area of the wing makes it super stable and floaty when it has to be. It can be throttled back to 30%-ish throttle and cruise for 12 minutes even in our dreaded Wisconsin cold robbing battery life. If you pin the throttle it is pretty quick as well due to its low profile slipping right through the air. With the large control surfaces I made for mine it also is a fairly capable 3d plane but I have yet to push it because I only just maidened it. My only gripes so far is difficulty keeping orientation when flying in overcast weather since it blends in with the clouds and how far this thing glides in ground effect! I swear it just floated a foot above the ground for probably 50 yards. Let me know if anyone is interested I might end up making plans.
Javelin1.jpg
Javelin3.jpg
Edit: Special thanks to @Grifflyer for making the plans I made better and converting them to digital. Here they are. https://drive.google.com/open?id=16lem7R06Ttek6lGuCAdhaUiJEgVxHIxd When someone decides to build it let us know how much it weighs because I ended up crashing my original from a brown out before I got those specs.

Attachments

• Javelin4.jpg
    Javelin4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Javelin2.jpg
    Javelin2.jpg
    929 KB · Views: 0
  • Javelin5.jpg
    Javelin5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I recently set out to build a plane based off of the C pack to use a wide variety of batteries and still accept a 2200mAh 3s. Simple but fun designs are some of the best. I was shooting for a jack of all trades flight envelope and I think I nailed it. The large surface area of the wing makes it super stable and floaty when it has to be. It can be throttled back to 30%-ish throttle and cruise for 12 minutes even in our dreaded Wisconsin cold robbing battery life. If you pin the throttle it is pretty quick as well due to its low profile slipping right through the air. With the large control surfaces I made for mine it also is a fairly capable 3d plane but I have yet to push it because I only just maidened it. My only gripes so far is difficulty keeping orientation when flying in overcast weather since it blends in with the clouds and how far this thing glides in ground effect! I swear it just floated a foot above the ground for probably 50 yards. Let me know if anyone is interested I might end up making plans. View attachment 159412 View attachment 159413
That looks pretty cool man, like a low wing ugly stick kinda thing. @The Hangar likes those planes! He might build one and try it. I built a low wing Scout as well back in the day...
20191003_174430.jpg

Don't ask where it is now, but there is a vid of the maiden on my YT channel, The link is in my signature if you are up for checkin out some sketchy, some good, might entertain you some. Check it out

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I recently set out to build a plane based off of the C pack to use a wide variety of batteries and still accept a 2200mAh 3s. Simple but fun designs are some of the best. I was shooting for a jack of all trades flight envelope and I think I nailed it. The large surface area of the wing makes it super stable and floaty when it has to be. It can be throttled back to 30%-ish throttle and cruise for 12 minutes even in our dreaded Wisconsin cold robbing battery life. If you pin the throttle it is pretty quick as well due to its low profile slipping right through the air. With the large control surfaces I made for mine it also is a fairly capable 3d plane but I have yet to push it because I only just maidened it. My only gripes so far is difficulty keeping orientation when flying in overcast weather since it blends in with the clouds and how far this thing glides in ground effect! I swear it just floated a foot above the ground for probably 50 yards. Let me know if anyone is interested I might end up making plans. View attachment 159412 View attachment 159413
I like what you did with the elevator and having the servo go directly into the fuse, it cleans things up a bit.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
That looks pretty cool man, like a low wing ugly stick kinda thing. @The Hangar likes those planes! He might build one and try it. I built a low wing Scout as well back in the day... View attachment 159428
Don't ask where it is now, but there is a vid of the maiden on my YT channel, The link is in my signature if you are up for checkin out some sketchy, some good, might entertain you some. Check it out
Darn that looks so sweet its almost like a thinner FT Racer

PoorManRC

Master member
That looks pretty cool man, like a low wing ugly stick kinda thing. @The Hangar likes those planes! He might build one and try it. I built a low wing Scout as well back in the day... View attachment 159428

@PoorManRC likes those Planes TOO!! 😉 I also prefer fatter Fuses, but I really like your design!! 👍👍
It does look like a wide Envelope Aircraft, and something that a mediocre RC Pilot like me can enjoy.
If I can get the necessary assistance, I'd LOVE to try it.
Sweet Plane!!

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
By the way basic specs are:
48” wingspan
29.5” in length
It barely fits in my Civic’s trunk so those who want to fit it in a small car might need to measure first 😂
Ill get more specs later

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
@PoorManRC likes those Planes TOO!! 😉 I also prefer fatter Fuses, but I really like your design!! 👍👍
It does look like a wide Envelope Aircraft, and something that a mediocre RC Pilot like me can enjoy.
Thanks man I plan on doing a build video with my plans to help anyone through any discrepancies my plans may create.
If I can get the necessary assistance, I'd LOVE to try it.
Sweet Plane!!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Your plane looks great!! Have you gotten any flight footage yet?

I’m working on plans right now. Unfortunately they will have to be hand drawn. I don’t want to purchase illustrator just yet and inkscape just isn’t intuitive for me. Hopefully they still turn out alright.
If you make the hand drawn plans I can trace them out for you and make them look all fancy if you'd like.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Your plane looks great!! Have you gotten any flight footage yet?

If you make the hand drawn plans I can trace them out for you and make them look all fancy if you'd like.
Ill try to get flight footage tomorrow. And I’d really appreciate it. I am not as precise as I’d like to be dimensioning this by hand. All the measurements are pretty simple though. Only complicated thing is the wing is rolled instead of folded which takes a bit more patience and time.