Introduction and build questions for QAV250 build

kitari

Just wanted to start by properly introducing myself. This is my first post, but I'm sure it won't be my last. I'm currently flying a DJI Phantom FC40, Cheerson CX-10, and soon hope to get started on my first quadcopter build. I've been flying quads for about a year now, and came from the world of heli flying, but once I flew my first quadcopter, I fell in love with how much easier it was to just get out and fly instead of constantly dumping money into my helis for broken parts that seemed to be a fairly common thing once I moved to 3d heli flying. I'm actually a full time student, going to school for electronics, so this build can count as a school project so that's a bonus. I've been wanting to do a build for a while now, but just never got around to it, but next month I'm finally going to do it!

So moving on, to put it in a nutshell, I'm looking for the best setup for a non FPV race quad for under $300. I don't need anything fancy like gps, pos hld, or rth, just some good fast flying. I can always use the camera from my fc40 if I want video so there's that. I also have a Devo 7 Tx/Rx so that's another bonus. So with that said, anybody have any recommendations?​

PhenomPilot

I love my zmr250 with naze32 and dys1806 motors. 2204 motors with 5040 props and 4 cell battery would be insane. You could build it for about $180. Check out quadmovr on YouTube for some insanely fast flying!

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
Welcome aboard.

Are you wanted by to build a QAV250 for under $300, or any 250 size quad? I'm asking because the QAV250 frame will use up about half of your budget.

kitari

I love his channel! Actually one of his quads was part of my motivation to do a mini race quad build. It's wicked how fast those things can go.

kitari

@ C0D3M0NK3Y: Sorry for the delayed reply, had to do something before I could get to your post, but no, I guess it doesn't really matter too much. As long as it can hold up, and gets the job done I'll be happy.

PhenomPilot

Oh I forgot, welcome to the family! I mean forum.

I am using the cheap $20 fiberglass version zmr250 from banggood and although the finish is not as good as the $150 carbon frames, it will take a beating.

kitari

Oh I forgot, welcome to the family! I mean forum.

I am using the cheap $20 fiberglass version zmr250 from banggood and although the finish is not as good as the $150 carbon frames, it will take a beating.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been to a few others that were full of not so friendly people. As for the frame, that's a great deal! There's just so many options available, it'll make your head spin trying to figure out what all to get. Especially for a first build. I can hardly wait! As for how the build is going, this is what I have down now.

Frame: Zmr250 (thanks for the suggestion)
flight control: naze32
ESC: Emax 12A w/ SimonK firmware
motors: dys be1806 2300kV black edition
props: Gemfan 5040 5x4
batt.: N/A
Tx: Devo 7
Rx: Rx ---- h? (whatever it is, it works with the devo 7)

Also think I need a power distribution board, female plug for battery connector, LEDs, and... I think that's it?

offaxis

I recommend reading through build logs for more information about the ZMR250 and building these quads. I'll get you started with my build.

There are many build logs out there. I would get a 36mmx36mm PDB and stack it under the Naze32 or get a Overcraft PDB. I will also recommend running Cleanflight firmware. But there are many out there to choose from.

PhenomPilot

The list looks good. I think the 2204 motors might be faster but the 1806 ones are not slow by any means. You will also want some standoffs for the board and 4mm lock nuts to keep your props on. The overcraft pcb's are nice and come with LEDs but I haven't been able to get an order on one since they seem to sell out quick.

kitari

Well guys, I might have to wait a little longer before ordering everything and starting the build. I forgot valentines day is coming up, so I have to get the wifey something or I'll be in the doghouse for a while. :p Once I get my tax return I'll order everything up, and take pics of my progress along with a parts list.