Introduction to Aircraft Design Course: In-Person Virtual Course, Jan 19 - Mar 2, 2022

dough

Join our first "in-person" virtual

Aircraft Design Course

January 19 - March 2, 2022

This is a 7-week intensive course that covers the basics of aircraft design. We’ll start with fundamental concepts of why aircraft fly, work through the steps of designing an aircraft, and include hands-on experience with useful aircraft design software and methods. During the course, you will design your own free-flight glider, and through the process, learn about aerodynamics, trim, stability, and structures. The course will come to an end with a friendly fly-off of the designs in a flight simulator!​

You'll learn about:
  • Week 1: Airfoil Analysis – Learn to use XFOIL to analyze any airfoil geometry and extract the appropriate aerodynamic properties.​
  • Week 2: Wing Design and Optimization – Learn to use MachUp for wing design, and how taper and twist affect performance.​
  • Week 3: Mass Properties – Learn to estimate the mass properties of your aircraft, including the center of mass and moments of inertia.​
  • Week 4: Static Trim – Learn how to design the mounting angles of the main wing and horizontal stabilizer so the aircraft will be trim.​
  • Week 5: Static Stability – Learn to size and place the main wing and horizontal stabilizer to ensure static stability.​
  • Week 6: Dynamic Stability – Learn how to estimate the dynamic properties of the aircraft and how they affect performance.​
  • Week 7: Fly-Off! – Enter your final design in the virtual competition and see how it stacks up against others in a realistic flight simulator!​
In addition to learning these concepts, you'll meet incredible people who have similar interests and make life-long friendships. I'll be there every step of the way throughout the process, answering questions and supporting you on this exciting journey.​

This course will be held online every Wednesday evening at 8:00 pm Mountain Standard Time, January 19 - March 2, 2022. You'll need access to a computer that runs Windows or Mac.​

I hope you choose to join us and expand your horizons with aircraft design.​

If you have any questions, please drop me a line. It would be great to hear from you.​

- Doug​

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member

Join our first "in-person" virtual

Aircraft Design Course

January 19 - March 2, 2022

This is a 7-week intensive course that covers the basics of aircraft design. We’ll start with fundamental concepts of why aircraft fly, work through the steps of designing an aircraft, and include hands-on experience with useful aircraft design software and methods. During the course, you will design your own free-flight glider, and through the process, learn about aerodynamics, trim, stability, and structures. The course will come to an end with a friendly fly-off of the designs in a flight simulator!​

You'll learn about:
  • Week 1: Airfoil Analysis – Learn to use XFOIL to analyze any airfoil geometry and extract the appropriate aerodynamic properties.​
  • Week 2: Wing Design and Optimization – Learn to use MachUp for wing design, and how taper and twist affect performance.​
  • Week 3: Mass Properties – Learn to estimate the mass properties of your aircraft, including the center of mass and moments of inertia.​
  • Week 4: Static Trim – Learn how to design the mounting angles of the main wing and horizontal stabilizer so the aircraft will be trim.​
  • Week 5: Static Stability – Learn to size and place the main wing and horizontal stabilizer to ensure static stability.​
  • Week 6: Dynamic Stability – Learn how to estimate the dynamic properties of the aircraft and how they affect performance.​
  • Week 7: Fly-Off! – Enter your final design in the virtual competition and see how it stacks up against others in a realistic flight simulator!​
In addition to learning these concepts, you'll meet incredible people who have similar interests and make life-long friendships. I'll be there every step of the way throughout the process, answering questions and supporting you on this exciting journey.​

This course will be held online every Wednesday evening at 8:00 pm Mountain Standard Time, January 19 - March 2, 2022. You'll need access to a computer that runs Windows or Mac.​

I hope you choose to join us and expand your horizons with aircraft design.​

If you have any questions, please drop me a line. It would be great to hear from you.​

- Doug​

Gaaa!
I hate having to work for a living!
Will this be archived for those who can't attend at these times?
Super cool that you are doing this even if I never see any of it.

dough

Haha - I know!

I've had a few requests from those who can't attend at that time. For any that sign up, I'll send out links to recordings of each meeting, and you can still participate each week through email and be part of the final competition.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Haha - I know!

I've had a few requests from those who can't attend at that time. For any that sign up, I'll send out links to recordings of each meeting, and you can still participate each week through email and be part of the final competition.
GREAT! I'm sold, I'll try really hard to attend the first one live and then maybe another one or two and do the rest from the recordings.