Is a batbone Tri suitable as a first multirotor (working towards FPV)?

Fooman

I have nearly 20 years experience with R/Cing (worked for a hobby shop for nearly two years, long ago) and have been in all kinds of craft (monster trucks, on road cars, heli's (mostly co-ax), fixed wing, now boats). Let's put it this way, when I started with R/C, FM radios were the new and upcoming thing. I had a circus hobby 8 channel (that I bought used from a co-worker) that probably weighed about 10 pounds but man was that a great radio!

I have become fascinated with David's (and stone blue airlines) FPV footage and want to work my way into that. My question is this; Is a batbones tri-copter suitable for learning multi-rotors and moving on into FPV? I love to build (though not necessarily scratchbuild) and experiment so most of my things are not stock. i am aware that a flight control board (like a KK2 board) is the way to go but I am working about getting an uncontrolable whirling dervish that is so twitchy that it is discouraging to fly to even try and learn on it. To my knowledge (rural South Eastern Idaho) there is no one that flies either FPV or multirotors around this area and the closest 'local' hobby shop is nearly 50 miles away.
Foo

baddox

A Bat Bone tricopter based on the KK2 (and the other electronics that FliteTest recommend) should be a great choice. Working toward FPV is easy too. You can buy/build the FliteTest GoPro mount and use that, or probably just mount a little FPV camera on the Bat Bone frame.