Is denatured alcohol foam safe?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Honestly, I'm not sure -- possibly -- but if nothing else it'll probably attack the paper if it's DTFB and cause it to delaminate everywhere it "wets".

Have you considered a hair dryer?

One of the beauties of hot glue is it becomes fairly cooperative with a careful application of heat. A hairdryer set on low won't melt the glue, but it can make it taffy-soft. After you make the repair, a dollop of fresh hot glue will re-melt what's left behind back into the joint.

Do take a little care in focusing your heating, though -- don't want your wing to suddenly unfold because you melted the seam while you were melting the servo joint.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
It does thin epoxy. Very well, in fact, but go for the purest stuff you can find. The tiny bit of remaining water isn't particularly good for epoxy joints.

. . . and if teach won't drink it, it shouldn't be drunk ;)

ZoomNBoom

A friend of mine just told me he uses ice cubes to remove hot glued servo's. Apparently that makes the glue brittle and easy to crack. Unlike heat or chemicals, it wont attack the foam. Have not tried it myself, but worth a shot.

marc60

A friend of mine just told me he uses ice cubes to remove hot glued servo's. Apparently that makes the glue brittle and easy to crack. Unlike heat or chemicals, it wont attack the foam. Have not tried it myself, but worth a shot.

Sounds nice, but doesn't the meltwater delaminate the paper?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sounds nice, but doesn't the meltwater delaminate the paper?

For paper layered foamboard, yeah, not a good idea.

The Depronish foams in most paper lined foamboard won't expand dramatically with heat -- that's a viable option for them -- but many other foams can be heat expanded . Pulling out the hairdryer on those foams may do more than melt the hot glue. For them, extreme cooling may be a better way to go.