Is DJI Naza compatiable with flysky

ageorge

hey guys im going to buy the dji naza m lite for my 450 quad.The thing is whether the dji naza is compatiable with my flysky fs-t6. I have done research and found that it is possible with some channel mixing but i just wanted to check with you guys before i purchased it.

Ps there are seperate failsafe modules that hobbyking sells. Are these any good or are they more dangerous

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
Woo, you're doing better! I'd have put an "is" on the thread title, but much, much better!

Yes, the Naza will work fine with the transmitter. The Naza has it's own built in failsafe modes. I suspect that ties into one of the channels, and if that channel goes to some out of spec value, the Naza will know to come home. Each channel on your reciever will be input into one of the input channels on the Naza. No mixing needed. (mixing might even give you real trouble)

Failsafe modules are for things without flight controllers.

ageorge

hey guys i recently also put up a thread on rc groups and got this answer
"There are a couple of issues with using the FS-T6 with a Naza. One is that the receiver doesn't have failsafe settings, so you'll be in trouble if you get out of range. (Though the Naza has some built-in failsafe settings that might help here.)

The other is that the Naza expects 2 3-position switches to select flight modes. With 2-position switches, you are limited as to which modes you can choose. Using a mix can partially get around this. If you don't care about the IOC modes, then that's all you need.

Alternately, you can mod your TX and add 3-position switches in place of the rotary knobs (or set it up with extra switches such that you can change over the functions from the knobs to the 3-pos switches). If you do something like, then you can select all the modes.

Finally, with only 6 channels, you can't do gimbal control (or whatever you have hooked up to the 7th channel). If you've got nothing hooked up to it, then it's a non-issue."

Scince my transmitter has 2 switch position it looks like im in some trouble.This means that i cant do ioc (unless i do mixing) which probably is neccescary to me as i need it for ariel photography.As for the 6 channel part i can buy an 8 channel receiver so thats not a problem.

Edit
Just learnt that attitude mode is neccescary if gps signals are not found

also if i have to do mixing i need to be in heli fixed pitch mode instead of acro right? or is it heli variable pitch?

Ps do u suggest moding my transmitter with a 3 position switch?

Last edited:

Canadian Hemp

I was going to use my Flysky T6 for my f450 but i ended up just using a Flysky FS-I6s 10 channel with multiple 3 way switches for the 80 bucks it costs it was worth it. I used a Naza m lite with GPS and did the unmentionable and now have a V2. Everything works fine. The T6 is for more for 250 quads etc not 450's with naza.

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
Multicopters are flown from the airplane mode, not helicopter modes.

You don't "need" gimbal control, if you're just using it for stabilization. Pitch might be nice.

Two position switches are fine. It's not necessary, it's just "something to configure" You need to decide what you need.

ageorge

yeah that is true but since i have the naza it would be better for me to use the flysky i6s thus i actually bought that.Hope it is a good transmitter. :)Thanks guys for the help.Also mr canadian hemp u had mentioned that something unmentionable happened while using the naza m lite.Was that a flyaway or something serious?Guess il use my t6 for the planes and inexpensive quads and il put the expensive ones on the i6s:):):)

Canadian Hemp

No nothing bad actually best thing i ever did. Not to be discussed i heard.I upgraded it to M V2, using the work around upgrade, hovers like a charm , moves like the wind and very stable. Plus i can buy the M-V2 option parts and fit directly. What i did as well i put Graupner 9.5 blades on it, never go back either, very durable, all the other cheap blades i used -broke-bent-disintegrated etc cost me way more than what i paid for 4 Graupner blades. Your lucky in the states you could prob find them for 40 bucks a set shipped, me it would cost 70 bucks shipped.

Not sure what you have invested but invest in but buy some good blades makes a big difference. I have had the same set of blades now for 3 months. I adjusted my gains and then adjusted my transmitter which i really got to know now.

I used the FS-16S for the return home and Failsafe(s), and it has options if i want to use for A Gimbal but i am not there yet. I will get a couple of pictures of my set up for you might be able to take something from it. As setting up GPS to work properly was a chore finding the correct info. Setting up the Naza itself , where to place it and how to place it as well info was all over the place and confusing.

Where to place the battery, receiver and Naza power source etc. Also bought some plastic electrical tape to go over my solder joints after as well to clean it up.

and i get to do the Naza dance to get GPS and home set lol.

Last edited:

ageorge

ahahahahahaha im not very lucky sir i live in vietnam.. Lol :) It cost me 70 dollars to ship the transmitter ahaha wish i was close to the usa.The hobby over here is very hard to maintain .Plus i am 14 so i cant even join any groups here.:) Thanks so much for guiding and helping me.Without you guys i would be lost...Thanks again.:):):) Btw i read the manual but cant understand how the naza powers up or where it gets its power from.Is it just the esc supplying the power or do we need an external power source ?My esc is a linear bec so guess thats what suppplies the power.

Last edited:

Canadian Hemp

This is the rear of my 450. This is where i mounted the receiver.
rear 450.jpg

This is how i mounted the Naza controller and gps. Kinda hard for you to see but i found center on the bottom board not the top, and i moved some lines over so you can see line on the Naza controller, that line on the controller needs to be centered vertically, i used the symbol in that line as center point as well.

looking at the GPS it is facing forward to the front as it should but the arrow is off of being straight from vertical position. That is because the quad did drift so i turned it slightly, prob between 10 and 30 degree. You will also notice where i positioned the gps, i put it back further to be away from power and control board but within specified limits.
new 1.jpg

This is the front , as you see power is mounted there as from what i read any power source near GPS will throw it off which it originally did until i re-positioned everything. The LED will be mounted here with a clip i ordered from shapeways 3D printing.
front 450.jpg

You may need a power source by the sounds of it these are some i use.
thumbnail_IMG_20161106_075158.jpg

This where is just positioned my battery, which i tried to position to center as well for good balance.
thumbnail_IMG_20161105_143337.jpg

I know this is way off topic on what you asked but thought i would just share. I do have a 450 quad similar to this as well but i used a naz32 flip board and flysky-t6 and a transmitter. I can take pics of how i set my controller for switches positions and stuff up for you it may help you a bit but mostly everything is done on naza controller.

Attachments

• power to naza.jpg
    power to naza.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 25

Canadian Hemp

not sure how to edit th last pic but you can see where power for battery and naza control go with arrows and where on my 450 my esc are soldered

ageorge

oh ok thanks so much this has actualy been very very benefitial for me and thank you so very much for taking the tremendous amount of time and work to help me.I greatly appreciate it.Thanks so much.These pictures are exactly the ones i need.Thanks so much for the help you have given me.:) :)

btw Just a small question do i need a seperate power distrubution board if the quad frame has a built in one?Because above you had mentioned that i may need one.Also it is recomended that i keep the pdb from all metal right?So did u find that to be a challenge?From the looks of the pics you have what seems to be a extremely well organized quad.Wish i could be that organized with my quads lol.Thanks again

Last edited:

Canadian Hemp

Here is a diagram for wiring it up, before you solder put a piece of shrink tube over the negative and positive then solder each esc. When you solder your battery power on also remember to solder on your dji pwr management system as well. I labeled it front and back and how i did mine.
Flame_wheel450-esc.png

ageorge

oh ok thanks.I was wondering where the power management system goes.Thanks
Ps on one of the videos i saw for wiring up my connections it said that if my esc has a bec i should remove the red wire.Why is this/is this neccescary?

My esc has a linear bec

Last edited:

Canadian Hemp

Honestly i don't know 100% but do not think it matters. The naza has internal bec i believe but If you feel you should remove the pin then shrink wrap until later just in case if you want to use.

But i would go through the set Naza set up first and it will tell you if you are ok or not . If your not i would think you could not set up your receiver and remote properly and not get green lights. Then red wires would need to be removed. The only thing i would be worried about is the calibrations of the esc if you do remove the red wires. I am not sure how that would work.

ageorge

um yeah i think i will not remove it as online it says im fine if it is a linear bec.Il connect it as normal first and then see if anything happens.Removing the wire would be my last choice as i wouldnt wont to do anything that has a chance of it failing

btw what have u done with this have u cut thee wire?

Last edited:

ageorge

ok thanks.Is that neccescary or is that to be safe?Thanks the thing is i am really confused as there are so many different opinions on the internet.Some say linear becs esc dont need any removal ow wire and swithcing esc does.Some say that all wires should be removed.Some say that it doesnt make a diffeence so im really really very confused.

here is what i found on another post "What I mean is your ESCs have LINEAR (as in simple voltage regulation) BEC circuits, you can connect as many in parallel as you want to and each BEC will share an equal part of the 5V electrical load.

If your ESCs had Switching, or Switch Mode BECs (Also called SBECs), they do not play nice when connected in parallel, so you are limited to using only ONE BEC. The red leads for the unused BECs are removed from their plugs and taped off..

Since you have linear BECs, it is not necessary to remove any red leads...."

I am confused by the range of answers what should i do?????? My naza has a seperate power supply but my escs are linear so is it really neccescary to cut the red wire?Anyone who has tried this type of setup???Thanks:):)

Last edited: