Is FliteTest going downhill?

Redflier

Launch Mode
Sound comment. I agree. I don't think there is any deterioration in FT, but perhaps a reduced ability to focus the resources required on all aspects of a rapidly expanding and diversifying business. I hpoe they can keep the original ethos, brother. :)

Chuppster

Other then that I think they need to like dedicate one of the core people to each aspect and then staff each one appropriately so they can cover each aspect they desire according to what they have planned. Other wise the over all theme is going to get too watered down and either stall or stagnate. I think once they get onto the new property they will be able to stay local more and still cover all the aspects they want since there will surely be plenty of space to set up permanent areas to rotate thru for content.

I think there is seriously more greatness to come from FT but its kind of obvious at this point that an expansion of their "on air" talent is needed to take up some slack and keep the original rotations moving content wise.

I think this is well put and even helps me better understand why I don't like how FliteTest feels right now. They don't have direction, they just make content. Now, when I watch episodes, I have trouble engaging with what's going on half the time because so much of it is unorganized, random stuff. I'd much rather have less, well thought out content (much like many of you have said you'd be okay with fewer, high quality design releases).

Another thing I have realized is that, as someone mentioned a few days ago, they don't have a mad scientist or crazy Swede making them stuff anymore. As far as I can tell Josh is there only current airframe designer (please tell me if I'm wrong). Chad does awesome paint jobs and makes cool looking props, they have a few quad guys (like TJ), but everyone else seems to be dedicated to content development and community management. Bixler is the president and he has the entire weight of plane design on his shoulders. Maybe this is just how things are going to be, but it seems like they need another builder, or to train someone to become a designer (I think it would be really cool/funny/interesting if Alex and Stephan built airplanes from scratch).

I know community builds are awesome, but something about a FliteTest release video and build video just makes everything more exciting and fun for me.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
See this is where everyones opinions vary. A lot of us are mixing content with product and they are two separate parts of FT. The videos are content showcasing a specific topic each episode. Designing and making plans / planes is product as is the reviews on various gear and prebuilt aircraft. So you cant compare apples to oranges and say its a problem in one area I dont think anyways. I stick to the fact they are spread too thin to cover all the aspects they want to with the staff at its current levels. This I think would stress their available time for any one given project making all the effort of past times less doable and consistent.

(I am in no way hatin on the FT crew. I am still lovin what is happening and still appreciate anything that gets put out at this point in time guys. THANX for all you are able to give us as always!! :applause:)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Change happens. When it does some won't be happy. In this case I think FT has only changed according to the needs and desires of the community and while changing I don't think they've been leaving anyone out.

Though their scope has broadened which will inevitably result in some decrease in focus the overall impact has been a positive one that is more inclusive of those impassioned by people and flying which has always been their heart and become the heart of the FT community. I strongly disagree that they don't have direction. Listen to a podcast where Josh Bixler speaks and you can't help but hear they have do indeed have direction. Destination Location, for example. What a vision!

If anyone desires something, speak up and be specific. The bigger the desire/need the more responsive they will be as they've always been. Have you built all they've already done? Is there a specific design you'd like to see?

Last edited:

Chuppster

(I am in no way hatin on the FT crew. I am still lovin what is happening and still appreciate anything that gets put out at this point in time guys. THANX for all you are able to give us as always!! :applause:)

I want to reiterate that I'm also not trying to bash the FT staff. I simply want us to be able to have a honest and critical analysis of the current state of the organization. Maybe this is all teething stuff (they have been growing very quickly). I think it's important that as the community we need to keep them on track. It's clear that everyone has their own opinions and all the opinions are valid. I know people like FliteTest how it is, but I think they can be doing better. Is there something we can agree on that would help FlteTest?

Chuppster

Change happens. When it does some won't be happy. In this case I think FT has only changed according to the needs and desires of the community and while changing I don't think they've been leaving anyone out.

Though their scope has broadened which will inevitably result in some decrease in focus the overall impact has been a positive one that is more inclusive of those impassioned by people and flying which has always been their heart and become the heart of the FT community. I strongly disagree that they don't have direction. Listen to a podcast where Josh Bixler speaks and you can't help but hear they have do indeed have direction. Destination Location, for example. What a vision!

If anyone desires something, speak up and be specific. The bigger the desire/need the more responsive they will be as they've always been. Have you built all they've already done? Is there a specific design you'd like to see?

I've built a lot of their designs (defiantly the ones I'm interested in the most). I know people have been asking for a 4-engine bomber design (made with quad motors) and I think that would be awesome. Additionally, more scale EDF jets and Warbirds would be awesome in my opinion, but that's just because I'm a little obsessed with scale craft. Josh has explained the difficulties of EDF releases and he has claimed that they would be supplying good EDF's for the past while, but we have yet to see anything come out of that. I imagine they are having difficulty finding something that isn't cheap stuff from Banggood yet isn't a super expensive aluminum HobbyKing kit.

A few months ago a moderator asked if we would be interested in getting plans for planes that Josh has built but never got released. Where are they? I think people want them.

RMDC

Another thing I have realized is that, as someone mentioned a few days ago, they don't have a mad scientist or crazy Swede making them stuff anymore. As far as I can tell Josh is there only current airframe designer (please tell me if I'm wrong).

No shade at all to those who have designed for FT, but in honesty, how many of the FT designs not created by David or Peter were truly from-the-drawing-board designs? The Sea Duck, I guess - it's not "original" in that it's an homage, but it is a design from scratch, as far as I know. And the ABC jets (though those were MesaRC designs done under the imprimatur of FT STEM). By contrast, the Simple Cub has roots in a couple designs posted to RC Groups. The three original swappables were literally reprints of others' designs, just modified to accept a modular power pod. That's perfectly acceptable, and the FT touch has kicked those designs up a notch, but it does speak to the FT design method relying on an existing base model that's then adjusted and possibly made swappable.

None of that's to say that those designs are completely unoriginal or that there's anything untoward happening at FT. I appreciate that inspirations are credited openly. Those who see farthest do so because they stand on the shoulders of giants, after all. And as someone who has designed in other arenas (cross stitch, paper models, etc.) both from scratch and from a basis of direct inspiration, I know that building on someone else's work still requires ingenuity, effort, and dedication. So again, no shade.

The TL;DR, I guess, is that without a rogue designer or mad scientist on staff, I don't see much in the way of "original" designs anytime soon. There'll be more of the Scout and the Cub: homages to bygone years of full-scale aviation. Those are fun videos to watch, but what made me buy a Simple Cub speedbuild kit was the Guinea Pig. I want to fly - maybe even design - something like that, and to get there I have to start with something a little less crazy. It's the crazy stuff that gets the gears turning and makes us engage.

And I guess that ties into the issues people raise with new FT versus classic FT - there's less crazy stuff to crank our gears. It's more passive entertainment. Again, it's entertainment I love, but it's not what gets my wallet out.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
In my opinion, the FT designs are there to get people started, but the intention is to enable and inspire people to go deeper into the hobby, not hold their hand every step of the way with pre-built or kits for every niche and skill level. They get us all going, and then the members grow further.

I love the idea of a new FT Spitfire v2, but honestly I'm way more excited for the next plans release from Localfiend or NerdNic or jpot1 or AirPirateNinse or HildaFlyer or Griffler or Fidget or Sponz or Keegan or Joshua FAI-F1D or Fluburter or Mid7nite or Orchard or DamoRC or Slingshot or Loopin Louie or Zepher (and I'm so sorry to all the people whose names I missed who put out really awesome projects - I just ripped this off the top of my head and I'm sure I missed people to make this point)

Here in the forums there are an incredible number of amazing designs for people to build, and lots of help for people who are ready to start their own designing and really-really-from-scratch journey. FT supports us in doing this and sometimes they even remember to celebrate it without being prompted - but I haven't seen much of that since or outside of FliteFest except Stephan when he visits here in the forums.

For anyone who says "where's the next Flite Test design" I say not "have you built all of them yet" but "have you looked in the forum?" As a community we put out at least two plans a week.

What I would encourage FliteTest to do is give us better administration / curation abilities for the stuff we're doing in here and raise the visibility level.

And hire another mad scientist!!

Chuppster

What I would encourage FliteTest to do is give us better administration / curation abilities for the stuff we're doing in here and raise the visibility level.

And hire another mad scientist!!

Haha, I agree with this. It would be amazing to have a "SPONZ - Plans Index" for completed forum designs. That way I could have a better idea of what's been completed on the forum.

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
HEY everyone!

Thanks so much for all the feedback etc! I wanted to just jump in here and add some notes for everyone! ;)

1)As we all know, YES we have been busy, but we always have the community in mind! We are working on a FEW different designs right now for a NEW RELEASE... so be on the lookout for that soon enough, we take a lot of the feedback from the community very seriously and want to make sure we keep that vision as well as do whats BEST for the business(Balance is key! ha) ;)

2) TODAY there is going to be releasing a fun little episode about the COMMUNITY showcasing some of peoples DIY builds of 2017 etc... I encourage you to go watch it and be inspired by your fellow peers! The builds in this video are a FRACTION of what is out there, but we felt we must showcase our community because they DESERVE IT! At the end of the video I share my heart on WHY i love this community so much and how YOU GUYS inspire US more then probably we inspire you! SO PLEASE... keep up the awesome work and I agree with Rockyboy....I am looking forward to some AWESOME community builds, because they are people inspiring people to drive the hobby forward in a positive informative and fun way!

3)2018 is going to be a BIG YEAR in a lot of ways for FLITE TEST and the COMMUNITY!... so please keep on building, chatting, inspiring and loving eachother the way you have been and this will 100% be a year to remember!!! ;)

I pray that this new year brings you all joy and blessings beyond your imagination!

Blessings,
Stefan

RMDC

Haha, I agree with this. It would be amazing to have a "SPONZ - Plans Index" for completed forum designs. That way I could have a better idea of what's been completed on the forum.

saaaaaaaaaame

One thing I love about the other crafty communities I'm in (again, paper modeling and cross stitch) is that they're almost entirely community driven, with very little in the way of a centralizing entity that acts as a gatekeeper. Up until a few years ago, the gatekeepers in RC flight were the grognards and the hobby shops. Now there's a huge community push thanks to RC Groups and FT. Josh & co are always talking about how great the community is, and with Flite Fest and their trips to other RC gatherings they're really good about centralizing community activity. The articles area on the site is another place that they're really doing it right. I think there's room for improvement here on the forums, like you note - just some extra tools to help push community designs to the fore a little more strongly and draw people coming in from the YouTube channel into the culture of design and building surrounding the community. I also think that community highlights would be yet another good use of FT vlogs.

EDIT: And Stefan comes in with awesome news as I'm writing my reply. Heck yes! I want that video!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I like some of the recent product reviews, like the Nano Goblin. The reviews that you guys do are very informative and help with future purchases and keeping up with technology changes. Keep up the good work and thanks!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I like some of the recent product reviews, like the Nano Goblin. The reviews that you guys do are very informative and help with future purchases and keeping up with technology changes. Keep up the good work and thanks!

I'm completely on the other end of that - I have no interest in reviews of any RTF or ARF planes or quads because of where I'm at in the hobby.

Reviews of kits, components, and electronics are things I am very interested in though.

Doesn't bother me that FT does reviews for RTF & ARF's - just not my cup of tea.

Except for the $pektrum partnership thing that was announced to big fanfare last year. From what I have seen it either completely fizzled out, or was succesfull in a behind the scenes way - in which case why was there a big to-do on the announcement? Advertising for Spektrum? I really don't like the feeling of my big community sponsoring company getting into too close of ties with other industry giants - gives me all kinds of feelings like they are going to be heavily influenced in what is produced, recommended, or sold to us and might not be an objective reviewer anymore. I completely understand partnerships with Graupner who can bring FT products and kits to the European market, but that's a pretty unique one from what I see.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Completely agree! I also really loved some of their EDF and Warbird reviews they’ve done with Motion’s aircraft, as well as the AWESOME 3D printed planes. Only complaint is that the really haven’t touched heli stuff at all.

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
[/QUOTE] Except for the $pektrum partnership thing that was announced to big fanfare last year. From what I have seen it either completely fizzled out, or was succesfull in a behind the scenes way - in which case why was there a big to-do on the announcement? Advertising for Spektrum? I really don't like the feeling of my big community sponsoring company getting into too close of ties with other industry giants - gives me all kinds of feelings like they are going to be heavily influenced in what is produced, recommended, or sold to us and might not be an objective reviewer anymore. I completely understand partnerships with Graupner who can bring FT products and kits to the European market, but that's a pretty unique one from what I see.[/QUOTE]

The Spektrum partnership is a mutual beneficial relationship where it allows for us to not only review their products and be honest about them... but also allow for us to do other types of content as well. We have always wanted to partner with business in the industry to allow for our COMMUNITY to be able to obtain the best product they can. We take the feedback, share it with industry leaders(or they read it on our forums/videos/social media) and it allows for them to see what the community is really searching for! WIN-WIN situation! ha

We will never back down from our vision based on any deal or partnership we ever have because we believe strongly in it as well as know our vision is whats best for the community(bc it has community at the CENTER of it!)

Blessings my friend! Looking forward to seeing what the community brings to light in 2018! ha

Stefan

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I don't think I'm going to say anything here that hasn't already been said, but I thought I'd chime in. I like where FT is going these days. The full scale content is awesome, as it's always been a dream of mine to get my license and fly.

Don't get me wrong, I love foamboard planes. FT videos got me flying RC, and then inspired me to go out and try designing my own crazy projects. Seeing all the stuff reviewed, tested, and built by them just makes me want to try and see if I can build what they're playing with. After seeing their reviews of the awesome 3Dlabprint planes I'm now trying to design my own 3D printable stuff. Never had a hobby that's so much fun, and the people involved in the community are great friends.

I think the last few months for them have been busy. Multiple Flite Fests, and all the new full scale content takes a lot of time to set up and get done. But, a lot of the stuff they're doing is still all about growing the community and inspiring people to go further on their own. Nothing like going to a Flite Fest and seeing all the crazy projects people are getting to fly.

It takes a lot of work to design, build, rebuild, and make plans for a foamboard plane, so I can see why that slowed down just a little bit. A lot of the low lying fruit is gone and they're taking things further with cleaner and more complex designs.

You guys aren't looking to hire a plane designer are you? ;)

BillH

Spektrum partnership... I couldn't help but notice at Flitefest South that the dominant radio was FRSky, despite all the Spektrum product placements.