Is FPV Racing a Sport?

Liam B

Hey everyone,

I'm doing an argumentative essay on if FPV racing is a sport. Any thoughts? I essentially just need some quotes to use in my research :)

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
Using unmanned aircraft to carry a live video feed is a sport, because... Its fun! E-sports exist because there is a community and the audience can feel involved. Immersive video from FPV craft has just as much potential, if not more.

Konrad

Posting Elsewhere
What do you define as a "Sport".
One I like is; if you can make money in a leisure activity it is a sport. If it costs money (negative cash flow) it is a hobby.

So are FPV racing organizers or the participants making money? If so it is a sport.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Well, I would define full scale Racing (like Reno) as a sport, so see no reason that it wouldn't extend to FPV racing as well. It has its own structure of racing leagues, and many sponsored pilots. Seems like a sports organization structure to me.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'd think it is - I view any activity where there is an objective of outperforming other competitors to be a sport, so in my mind any form of racing qualifies.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
If bowling is a sport...........of course it's a sport. A type of motor sport.

But see George Carlin cerca 1975. If there's no risk of serious physical injury, it can't be a sport. 8-^) That's a whole 'nother can of worms.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I would definitely call it a sport. It's an organised competition between people that want to outperform each other, so it follows the same guidelines as most others sports, especially motor sports.

Konrad

Posting Elsewhere

But see George Carlin cerca 1975. If there's no risk of serious physical injury, it can't be a sport. 8-^) That's a whole 'nother can of worms.
Carlin!!! Love it I'm drying the tears of laughter from my eyes as I try to type. I think I suffered a sports injury as my sides are hurting!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Just to be a butthead I'm gonna go the other way and say it's a game.

Technically a sport involves physical activity by definition whereas a game only requires rules and competition. By Webster's definition Chess is a game not a sport. Football is both a game and a sport.

Of course per Webster it is possible to play a game and be a good sport. :)

I think that makes English insane. :D

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Just to be a butthead I'm gonna go the other way and say it's a game.

Technically a sport involves physical activity by definition whereas a game only requires rules and competition. By Webster's definition Chess is a game not a sport. Football is both a game and a sport.

Of course per Webster it is possible to play a game and be a good sport. :)

I think that makes English insane. :D

I'll be Beavis and say moving your fingers is physical activity..... ;-)

Cheers!
LitterBug

FallingInStyle

I say it's a sport, but it may be too early to call I feel what makes a sport a sport and not just a game of a hobby is the general public consensus. FPV racing falls into two categories,
1. an E-sport (Like League of Legends or CS GO) where it is purely simulated and reaction based. You do not physically experience the g-forces or damage when you crash(which means more intense racing.)
2. A Motorsport with elements of a robotics competition. Where custom engineered aircraft dominate the skies like F1 or air racing.
You cannot put FPV racing into one category without the other. You lack the danger of F1 or air racing, however the digital screens you depend on aren't purely virtual, with the real quad flying through a real track. Until people get use to this weird new blended sport, the argument can't be won.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I don't think its a sport.

Sports are "Physical based challenges" Chess.. NOT a sport... Football yes a sport. Video games NOT a sport. Baseball yes a sport.

Flying a drone is a mental thing so its more in the challenge category if you are solo and more a competition or event if more then one person is involved with piloting. If you say its physical because you use your hands to fly then you are also lumping Knitting in to your "Sport" category and I feel sorry for you if that's what gets your adrenaline pumping.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Carlin!!! Love it I'm drying the tears of laughter from my eyes as I try to type. I think I suffered a sports injury as my sides are hurting!

George was the best. A true comic intellect.

If you want to be fair and precise with your language, I think it is a Virtual (Presence) Motor Sport.

Ajaxster

There's is "risk of physical injury" I could fly the drone into my head lol XD