• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is it possible to build an fpv drone within 150 dollars?

Recently, I saw a very interesting question in the FPV community. Is it possible to build an fpv drone within 150 dollars? What do you think of this?

I don't think it's possible。But if you are experienced builder with all the extra odds and ends already on your bench, like offsets and extra lock nuts, solder gun, battery connections, etc. all the nickel and dime stuff that can quickly add to the budget of the project.Maybe there is still some possibility.

Build myself.... New old stock.... Prices rounded up to nearest $

$10. F3 FC/pdb
$24 4 x 2207 2100kv motors. $6 each.
$40. 4 x 30A blheli_S ESCs. $10 each
$10. 250 size frame
$16. Frsky serial rx
$23. AIO camera/200mw vtx
$5. Xt60 and power wires.

Total =$128

Oh yeah props. Throw another $1 on for a 4 pack of 5x4.5x3 clearance props

This is TODAY'S price. Everything in stock. Pick up local to save shipping

Last edited:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Recently, I saw a very interesting question in the FPV community. Is it possible to build an fpv drone within 150 dollars? What do you think of this?

I don't think it's possible。But if you are experienced builder with all the extra odds and ends already on your bench, like offsets and extra lock nuts, solder gun, battery connections, etc. all the nickel and dime stuff that can quickly add to the budget of the project.Maybe there is still some possibility.
Yes, but if you’re going to do a 5” you should save extra and go for a $180 budget and save yourself money in the long run, and get a much better flying quad in the process. Often, going with the absolute cheapest of the cheap means you’ll end up just replacing or upgrading parts as they break. Velox, eco 2, and xing e motors will be much better and the xing especially will be more durable. Also, look for some modernist 2207 Motors on sale or clearance. I’d also try and get 40a ESC’s for extra durability, especially if you use turtle mode. Those two should leave you some extra margin in the previously listed builds. If you are planning to fly far I’d go with a separate camera and vtx, ones on clearance can be as low as $23 combined, and a cheap $6 encased Omni antenna will be worthwhile. I think it’s best practice not set an arbitrary budget, but to set a wanted end product and try to reach that as affordably as possible.

If you just want to fly and don’t need a 5”, then definitely go for a micro like a toothpick or a whoop. You’ll have to spend much less on repairs, and it’s already built. Best of luck 👍