Is landing gear necessary?

The Fopster

Master member
Nearly all my planes are belly landers and I only ever break a prop if I crash. A “proper” landing always seems fine. As others have said, setting the esc brake helps. Good luck!

daxian

Elite member
wheels are only for take off and landing ...once in the air ...not useful !
prop savers work well to save props on belly landers with cheap china props !
and as has been said, high mounted pushers do not break props !
from my experience...

quorneng

Master member
How successful continued belly landing will be does depend on the plane.
Obviously a pylon mounted wing pusher design will never break a prop in normal use.
19May18.JPG

4 years old and still on the same prop. It will even slide take off unassisted on reasonably short grass.
For a conventional nose tractor arrangement it will depend largely on its landing speed. A light powered glider can survive even without a prop saver.
NewFuseFin.JPG

Even a relatively fast high wing twin will also stand a reasonable chance of its props surviving.
Q400Complete.JPG

Hand launch/belly land works for me.;)

quorneng

Master member
Flying monkey
Actually there is nothing in the fuselage what so ever.:eek: In principle the rear fuselage and tail weighs as much as the nose.
There is a motor, speed controller and battery in each nacelle. The servos are in the wings, tail plane and fin. Even the receiver is in the wing.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Flying monkey
Actually there is nothing in the fuselage what so ever.:eek: In principle the rear fuselage and tail weighs as much as the nose.
There is a motor, speed controller and battery in each nacelle. The servos are in the wings, tail plane and fin. Even the receiver is in the wing.

Nice!