Is my lipo still safe to use?

allmotordc5ive

wassup guys, the other day i had a pretty nasty crash and the corner of the lipo got smashed in IMG_1634.JPG is it still safe to charge it and use it?? thanks guys

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Here's the thing.
You may never really know.
It's most likely fine. But the casing is likely weakened where it was damaged, if it puffs, it may be more likely to break at that point.
I'm not a great lipo role model. My batteries see lots of hard use. I'll admit to using a few that look about like that one you have.

Read all the precautions about lipo hazards.
In the end it boils down to a risk assessment that only you will make.
Possibility of a fire vs. inconvenience of being down a battery...

allmotordc5ive

for now no puffing but ur right, its not worth risking a fire in the house rather than being 1 battery down..as always Ninja u come thru for me, thanks so much for the advice!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
It's a question of safety over "cheapness". I have friend who has a LiPo with a dented corner, just like yours, and his works fine. So if you want to be on the safe side, don't use it. But if LiPos are more expensive than your safety, it's good to go!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
It's a question of safety over "cheapness". I have friend who has a LiPo with a dented corner, just like yours, and his works fine. So if you want to be on the safe side, don't use it. But if LiPos are more expensive than your safety, it's good to go!

It's good to go? Or maybe not.
May be fine.
May be fine until he tries to charge it.
May be fine until it puffs.
Lots of unknowns, too many to simply say it's good to go...

Be aware of the risks.
Manage the risks.

I've used batteries in this shape or worse.
I've also had a damaged battery catch fire only when a load was placed on it to discharge it.
Play safely.

Dropolus

I know it's weird, but smell your battery (not too close). If the battery emits a vinegar like smell, or any strange smells, it means it's leaking which is really really bad, you must get rid of it. If not just keep it in a kevlar bag away from anything that is flammable, just in case. And when you need to charge it, do it outside on a rock.

Oh and when you are going to fly a plane with it, make sure you film it. A rc plane catching fire mid-flight will get tons of views on youtube.

oagh

I have had a lipo blow up on the charge ,
1 time was a 1800 3s and 1 time was a 500 1s
1 times I was bured . by the 500 , it hrut ! :black_eyed:
If you think its bad Put it in saltwater and dump it :)
In the right spot

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Just dented my battery in a tricopter crash. I have to make a new frame which will protect the battery.

r_IMG_2656.jpg