Is my Modified Supercub in Danger?

James Y

Junior Pilot
I have recently modified my Supercub Lp to great success. I took the center dihedral section out of the wings, added ailerons (8” long with 2x HXT 9gr servo) and did a brushless conversion with a Turnigy Park 1020kv 480, HK 30A ESC, running off a 2200mah 3cell driving a Turnigy wooden 10x7 prop. Also, added the wheels from the Parkzone Corsair.

It looks beautiful, and flies like a dream. Mixing rudder and ailerons makes for the best flying plane I have; and the power is immediate.

The 10x7 pulls the cub very quickly and ½ throttle is enough to be excitingly fast'; while dead-stick into the wind makes this cub glide forever.

Could someone tell me if this is a safe setup up for the electronics? The motor never gets even slightly warm, but the esc and battery get warm (not hot though).

I’d like to know if this is a good prop choice, and what can of flight times I should expect with the 2200 2cell.

Thanks!!!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
If everything is running cool, then it should be just fine, I don't have info for that propellor, but similar props are drawing about 25 amps at full throttle. An APC 9x6 or GWS 10x8 HD would be good props as well, and would draw less current for a lot more thrust, but if you like the performance and looks of the wood prop, by all means stick with it. :)

you would have about a 5 min flight time at full throttle, but then again you aren't using that much, so try 8-9 min to be safe.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Flight time is relative. I have almost the same setup you do, and I generally get 10-15 minute flight times. I'm also doing a lot of gliding... so there's that.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
I hope you put a CF spar in the wings... taking the Dihedral out and adding a "holy crap" worthy brushelss power system is awesome, but without reinforcement your wing will at best weaken and at worst simply fold when doing some of the more fun things this bird is now capable of.

James Y

Junior Pilot
I hope you put a CF spar in the wings... taking the Dihedral out and adding a "holy crap" worthy brushelss power system is awesome, but without reinforcement your wing will at best weaken and at worst simply fold when doing some of the more fun things this bird is now capable of.

I didnt put the spar in! i was thinking about it, but I didnt add them for the first few flights. But It is on my to do list for sure. i would definitely be interested in a different way to attach the wing other than the rubber bands.....any ideas?

Or should i use struts instead? Spar and struts? Thoughts?