Is the Adtech 200 still the best glue gun out there?

evranch

So my ancient Mastercraft gun is starting to cause trouble for me, backfiring glue out the rear port which jams the feed mechanism. On top of this it's always been unstable on its stand and gets knocked over all the time when I'm in a hurry to do a long glue joint.

Time for a new gun. I noticed that in the recent FT videos they are using some yellow/orange guns and I know Josh always loved the Adtech. Is there a better gun out there now?

I was doing some research and since the Adtech 200 is already $70CAD it might make sense to spend a couple more bucks to step up to an industrial gun from someone like 3M. You get access to a ton of different glues, which is cool because I use my glue gun to secure electronics for industrial applications as well. There are specialty glues for this that are better than regular hot glue. The only problem is that they use a different form factor from the traditional stick which decreases availability - though some of these sticks are much bigger, and you'll never run out of glue.

evranch

The one thing I've really noticed about my cheap gun is that it gets knocked over super easy. My build room is fairly cold and I often have to work in a hurry on long glue lines.

Even if I put it down a little angled, it will often hang up on the cord and flip. Do you guys have this problem as well or is the cord just in a very bad spot on mine? (I had to tie-wrap it up to the back because it comes straight out of the bottom of the grip, otherwise it falls every time)

Adtech has a really wide wire base on the grip which is a big part of its appeal to me.

M

MCNC

Coincidentally, I got the Adtech 200 this week. I mostly use white gorilla glue, so I have not used it much yet. I bought it for two reasons and so far have been very pleased. 1) current glue gun had a small base and fell over all the time, a couple of mods to remedy were unsuccessful 2) Glue was constantly dripping from nozzle. It is (was) an arrow brand.

Keno

I have had 2 Adteck 200s and not impressed but that is my own opinion. I have expected more out of a high price tool but found that the Pro 80 performed at good as the 200. They cost less and give me the performance and results that I expect. I can buy them at Wal Mart anytime as I find it necessary which is seldom.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I have had 2 Adteck 200s and not impressed but that is my own opinion. I have expected more out of a high price tool but found that the Pro 80 performed at good as the 200. They cost less and give me the performance and results that I expect. I can buy them at Wal Mart anytime as I find it necessary which is seldom.
The price of the pro 200s has dropped recently. Still more expensive though. I think they go for $35

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I've had a couple surebonder guns forever. They're decent but the trigger is hard to use. Makes applying small controlled beads difficult.

I recently picked up an adtech 80 and I love it. I especially like the switchable tips.

20200202_002616.jpg

evranch

Thanks for everyone's input! Next time I'm at a Walmart or similar I'll see if they have the 80. I didn't know they had switchable tips, that's cool.

I wish the 200 was available for $35 here but I can only buy one online. If the 80 is available in store then it might be a sensible choice.

Figure9

Elite member
I have 2 glue guns. The Ad Tech 200 from FT & a really cheap small gun from a hardware store to repair my 1st ever RC, the Champ RTF, before I went nuts & decided to build a Bloody Baron. I like the glue stick FT sells for $10. The binders in those sticks would be nice to use in the cheaper small glue gun but the stick diameter is smaller on the cheap little gun. I unplug the cheap gun between each use to keep it from overheating the glue stick, no need to do that with the Ad Tech 200, but I tend to do it anyway. With any glue gun, even using the Adtech 200, I’ve noticed a serious problem with constant drooling,
4D07EFFC-82D1-48B0-9403-EEB3FA29164D.jpeg
not from the glue gun, my glue guns never drool. Figure9

RustySocket

I am using one of the new Adtech dripless guns they sent me to try.

It is a build similar to the 80.

So far I am very happy with it as it seems to have addressed the constant drooling of the other guns I have tried. Its not perfect, but in the hour or so I have used it, it has dripped two tiny drips onto my paper towel. I have not tested it's capacity to lay down a lot of glue at one time, but so far it's been more than capable of delivering what I need. I left it plugged in for close to an hour and the small drip on the tip was all that came out.

dripless.jpg

Figure9

Elite member
I am using one of the new Adtech dripless guns they sent me to try.

It is a build similar to the 80.

So far I am very happy with it as it seems to have addressed the constant drooling of the other guns I have tried. Its not perfect, but in the hour or so I have used it, it has dripped two tiny drips onto my paper towel. I have not tested it's capacity to lay down a lot of glue at one time, but so far it's been more than capable of delivering what I need. I left it plugged in for close to an hour and the small drip on the tip was all that came out.

View attachment 157427

Always good to know there’s other good gear out there to build with. For the little snot puddles I get from the glue gun, I’ve laid down a few overlapping strips of the clear cellophane packing tape that we so often use for repairs & park the glue gun on it. The glue won’t stick to the slick back of the cellophane tape.
A19233D1-8322-453E-BFA0-0BCB47EB3865.jpeg
Nothing fancy, but this morning I glued, instead of taped, up my beater Champ for the eleventeenth time. This might be the last hurrah for it before I’ll need a new fuselage. Wind, wind, go away. Figure9