Is the FliteTest Mighty Mini Scout a good beginner airplane?

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Hey everyone,

Last spring, I tried to get my dad into the hobby. Unfortunately, it never worked out. The tiny trainer he built didn't fly very well(which is the main reason he stoped flying). I want to build him another airplane and try to get him flying again. The power setup he has is, 1806 2300kv motor, 20A ESC and 3s 800mah - 1300mah batteries. I was thinking the mini scout would be a good choice, but I've never flown one so I'm not sure.

Would the mini scout be a good plane for him to start with? If not, what would be a good plane that would work with the setup that he has?

Thank you
Jeremy

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I want something that is easy to build and fly and repair. Just something that he can learn on.
Maiden it for him, get it trimmed up and then pass the transmitter to him when it's 3 mistakes high. If you have instructed him on what to do beforehand, it shouldn't take long for him to get the hang of it. It's a really forgiving airplane.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I didn't read any posts I just wanted to say the mini scout is my most flown most durable and easiest flier. It may be just me but I love it. Mine flies hands off or twisting around in the sky. I love flying it skimming the grass tops. It was my first plane i flew and I still fly it. :).

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Maiden it for him, get it trimmed up and then pass the transmitter to him when it's 3 mistakes high. If you have instructed him on what to do beforehand, it shouldn't take long for him to get the hang of it. It's a really forgiving airplane.

Thanks for the advice!

He has his own transmitter, so we got a buddy-box trainer cable that connects out transmitters. If he gets in trouble, I can take over.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Personally I'd go with the Mini Scout over the Commuter. The Scout is a much quicker and easier build, especially if you ditch the posterbard, it's just a square so it's easier to fix and you can build it with a single sheet of foam.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Personally I'd go with the Mini Scout over the Commuter. The Scout is a much quicker and easier build, especially if you ditch the posterbard, it's just a square so it's easier to fix and you can build it with a single sheet of foam.
True, the Mini Scout is about as simple as it gets to build! It flies awesome too, it is just a little more sporty. But since you have a buddy-box cable, then I don't think that should be any issue. :)