Is the Versacopter 2.0 discontinued? (and me trying to make a partially 3d printed one)

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I want to get into quads either this summer or winter, and wanted to start building soon. I was going to get the Versacopter 2.0 from the FT STEM store since it was in stock there. I planned to order it within the next month after completing my electronics list, but while checking the website to help fill out the list it seemed like it was no longer available 😨 I know that the Versacopter racer is out, but it is more of an X frame, and I just like the look of an H quad, plus it had the option for different colors on the front amd back which would make line of site easier if I ever wanted to fly that way. I may try to scratch build one, so does anyone know where the plans are, or if theg exist? Thanks

FDS

Elite member
The old ZMR250 clones are an H style frame with tons of room on board, you can slam deck them with shorter standoffs and there‘s room for a GoPro on the front. They are sub $20 and fine for learning on. My sons is still flying great two years after we built it.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The old ZMR250 clones are an H style frame with tons of room on board, you can slam deck them with shorter standoffs and there‘s room for a GoPro on the front. They are sub $20 and fine for learning on. My sons is still flying great two years after we built it.
I think that I will either get the frame you mentioned, the mini H-quad https://www.getfpv.com/blackout-mini-h-quad-frame.html, or the super mini H-quad https://www.getfpv.com/blackout-super-mini-h-quad-frame-6.html. the latter two are out of stock, but I hope they come back into stock soon. I'm stuck between using a runcam split mini or a runcam swift and a Runcam 2 on top. There is plenty of room for the Split Mini board, but if I use the swift and the Runcam 2 it'll cost less since I already have a Runcam 2.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I may be able to design a 3d printed versacopter that still uses the carbon booms, but instead of Delrin it will use PETG, and there wouldn't be a PCB. The clamps that hold onto the carbon booms would also have to be 3d printed, and use a slide in nut for the screw. It might not end up as durable, but I think it would still take a beating :)

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
If you search thingiverse, there are a few carbon tube designs and parts that might come in handy.

LB
I was going to make a beefed up version of the ones I saw with a checkered surface to help grip the Carbon Fiber tubes better. EDIT: Actually, the layer lines would give it more than enough grip.

Last edited:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Since Carbon Fiber is dangerous to CNC without proper ventilation, I'm going to look for a place nearby that has a CNC machine, or a flying field member, to cut a Delrin frame. This should also be much, much cheaper tha getting a custom Carbon Fiber frame.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
For the Delrin parts I need to find the right thickness, and the proper dimensions, Might anyone with a versacopter share the dimensions (length, width, thickness), it would be much appreciated.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
If you use square tubing, things get really easy. There are parts from "tricopters" that work great for mounting motors. You can easily 3D print a main body too. I did this for a bicopter and a Tricopter which I'm still working on.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:613225
I"ll go with the cylindrical tubing because then the motor mount can slip when I inevitably smash into some concrete.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The most important part to get right is the carbon Fiber boom. The whole quad has to be designed around them with the clamps first, then the body and control board. Also, for someone with a Versacopter, what is the wall thickness of the carbon booms as well? Thank you

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Luckily I have a lot of both 3s and 4s 2200 lipos with relatively high C-ratings. To test the DIY frame and parts I may try to acquire some time on a paint can shaker to test to see when it will eventually rip apart from vibrations, I don't think the clamps will have any trouble, but the frame may. I can also 3d print some ducts to direct airflow over the ESC's, VTX, and NAZE 32 board. My goggles that I use for Inductrix flying are the cheap Fat Shark recon box style goggles with no diversity, but I think it will be good enough with a proper antenna. I still haven't found all the dimensions, and all I know is that the diagonal should be about 310mm, but that may be wrong.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Good news, I found some files for 3d printed side skirts, which I may end up using, it depends on how much they restrict the airflow to the ESC's. The front and back will remain open to allow for maximum cooling though. I think that after I print these out I might design my own and test them. The othe good thing about finding the files is that it gives me not only the length of the Versacopter, but the frame height and delrin thickness :) I also found a 3d printed Versacopter which has clamps. That will tell me the diameter of the carbon booms, and it will also tell me the width.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So, an update. My 3d printer died during a failed print months ago, and it is taking a long time to fix. That's why I haven't really started work on the Versacopter.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
For the board cam I'm not sure whether to go with the Runcam Phoenix 2 https://shop.runcam.com/runcam-phoenix-2/ or the Runcam Swift 2 https://shop.runcam.com/runcam-swift-2/
I 'm not sure which one I should choose for plane chasing, which is what I will probably try to do the most. Note, try ;)

I havent used the Pheonix yet but I mainly fly with the micro swift 2's as I really like the bios in them and how nicely you can manage the set up and not be locked into some crappy pre programmed stuff STILL set up for indoor use cameras.