Is there a plan for this?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
AWWW Everyone is telling me not to start with a 3D plane yet I am a beginner and all beginners start with the wrong plane! I will take the risk. For the price < $40

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
AWWW Everyone is telling me not to start with a 3D plane yet I am a beginner and all beginners start with the wrong plane! I will take the risk. For the price < $40
LOL! As long as it's small and light I think it will be OK. Probably the cheapest route though(for motor, servos, but not battery) would be the Trainer one/slow trainer/blu baby type, as motors, servos, ESC, and battery are cheap. < $40

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Baby Blu seems to be a nice trainer scratch build. Tho I can't seem to find the plans...

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Now there is a plan.

OK, back on topic,

Is there a plan for this?

Yes. Now there is.

I have not built or tested it yet, so I don't guarantee it will work.

I do not own this design. I have not designed the plane. I just converted it from an FMS model to a drawing. The drawing is not complete, you will have to use your imagination and knowledge to complete this airplane. Again, I do not own this plane. If anyone minds me posting these plans, please notify me.

------------------------​

The plans are a bit too big to post them here, so if you need them, just PM me with your email.

EDIT: My plans (drawn by me based on the FMS model) available here: Manta 3D

Please notify me if link is broken. And if anyone minds me posting these plans, please notify me.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
OK, back on topic,

Yes. Now there is.

I have not built or tested it yet, so I don't guarantee it will work.

I do not own this design. I have not designed the plane. I just converted it from an FMS model to a drawing. The drawing is not complete, you will have to use your imagination and knowledge to complete this airplane. Again, I do not own this plane. If anyone minds me posting these plans, please notify me.

The plans are a bit too big to post them here, so if you need them, just PM me with your email.
Cool!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
OK, so more than a year later, I think it should be time to try this. Bought some foam, but left it at the office. Scaled the plan to the biggest I could possibly use. 900mm wingspan. 36" wingspan. That's as wide as my foam. Gives me a wing area of 11.78 sq dm (182.69 sq inches), not counting the rest of the flat fuselage.

Going to use 5mm foam, a Park450 with a 10x4.7 SF prop, 25 Red Brick ESC, OrangeRx receiver, 2x HXT900's for ailerons, 2x MG-90S for elevator and rudder, and a 1300mAh 3S.

Yes, I know. A flying pig. But the Park450 has the power for it, even with a smaller prop than the one I'm using. Tried that on a FunBat with the same gear, about 2x the wing loading of this one.

BTW I can't wait to try these MG-90S! I tested them on the bench (which is actually the floor) and they feel so much more precise and high-resolution than my HXT's! They just gave me a desire to do balsa again :D

Still trying to figure out something stiff enough for a spar. Wooden dowels I have available are about as strong as the foam itself :D Bracing with cotton thread might work well.

Side note: I was reading all these posts above here, and LOL was I ignorant. I am glad I did not start with this build. I would probably have been a tragedy. Not saying it won't be now :D but at least I won't give up!

I have decided this will fly. Fly badly but fly. Wish me success.

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
Side note: I was reading all these posts above here, and LOL was I ignorant. I am glad I did not start with this build. I would probably have been a tragedy. Not saying it won't be now :D but at least I won't give up!

LOL yeah a while ago i was looking through my old RCG posts and....same thing xD

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
OK, printed the plans on an A0 sheet, $3 for the service.

When I scaled the plans, I forgot to adjust for the thickness of the foam, so all foam slots that should be 5mm are actually 9mm. Need to keep this in mind when cutting the foam.

tramsgar

I have decided this will fly. Fly badly but fly. Wish me success.

That's the spirit! It'll fly beautifully or crash spectacularly, win-win.

tramsgar

I am at work now, I wish I was at home cutting foam... :(

You know, someone should put music to that lyric. Aah, the music video is already playing before my closed eyes, featuring Josh Scott on guitar and mad Dave on drums, recorded in that dungeon of Chad's.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Well, now I am at home cutting foam :D

Looks fairly nice IMHO. I suspect the elevator is quite small, though. Maybe not...

IMG_9889_zps1f7ffafc.jpg