Is there a plan for this?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hi all,

I just downloaded a model for FMS called Manta, and I wanted to build it, so since I could not find the plans for it i decided to ask here.

MANTA_prv.jpg

If no one knows about a plan for this, then I also upload top and side view so you can trace it. I tried making the profile in SketchUp, (to print it) but I have not figured out how to transfer it to PDF. I usually work on AutoCAD2007 but it has broken down on me. The plane is scaled to 50 cm, or just under 20".

top.jpg

lateral.jpg

Also could you recommend a power system for this plane? Would the HXT500 5 gram servos be OK for 20" wingspan? What motor, battery and prop should I use?

SketchUp flat plan at 50cm wingspan:

View attachment Manta.zip

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Hey guys,

I looked a bit into this, as I am German I was able to get some more infos through forums etc. (but colorex used the translate fuction really nicely)

This model is distributed by the shop linked in colorex post.

The plane is generally brought into kontext as being the Manta2 by mamomodels.

This is someone having his crazy first flight with it in a garage! Yes you heard me garage!

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/170c41a5632b2a24bbca/Erstflug-Manta2-von-MamoModels

ananas1301

So no plans? I'll fix my Cad software and sketch the plane out.

Nope it is a plane wihtout plans. If I were Josh Scott I would say: It is a PWP. Love his shortcuts :D

BTT Sorry nothing available except the purchase button for gettin this plane.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Oh, BTW, I suppose the fins on the ailerons are to direct the prop wash towards the stabilizers. Am I right?

Klonas

Hmmm... I dont know really :eek: Im new to rc world. I heard something about these making the plane fly more stable in the air(because of equal drag on both wing sides)? But yeah.... Not quite sure about that...

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yeah, though I think I'll stick to the Manta.

Do you think it will be possible to build and fly this at 20" (5mm foam)? Looks like all 3D planes out there are 30" or more... WDYT?

Rcjim11

Yeah, though I think I'll stick to the Manta.

Do you think it will be possible to build and fly this at 20" (5mm foam)? Looks like all 3D planes out there are 30" or more... WDYT?
As less weight as possible is best, if I was building it I'd want an AUW of less than 70g. You could try milling the foam if that is all you can get.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
HXT500s sound a bit overkill for a 50cm WS, i'd go for the 2.5s or the 3.6's.

As less weight as possible is best, if I was building it I'd want an AUW of less than 70g. You could try milling the foam if that is all you can get.

Is it still overkill for 60cm? What would be the minimum wingspan to put a HXT500 on it?

What battery/motor/esc/prop would it be?

Last edited:

ananas1301

I went for 3 5g servos on my first scratchbuild.

But dear Andre! I have to warn you that A these things are really not easy to make as you need to get a lot of right angles and often millimeters decide about flying characteristics.

Also I don´t recommend having this as the second plane or even the first plane.
You will need sooo much expo and dualrates and it will be hard to control, believe me! Even me being able to fly a Bixler and co nearly blind and any wing and also did my start at a little faster more aerobatic planes wasn´t really able to fly one. (Actually I was but it was that hard that it is not nice any more) But it is your decision.

Oh and yeah if your foam breaks as easy as depron does then after each crash you will have to glue something back

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
...I don´t recommend having this as the second plane or even the first plane.
You will need sooo much expo and dualrates and it will be hard to control, believe me!...
+1. I have built a 3d plane (It was my 4th plane) and it was so hard to control that I crashed it twice--and the second crash bent the shaft.