Help! Is there any way to use a mobile device as a transmitter for a plane?

ninthninja05

I'd like to make a mighty mini sparrow with a power pack and moveable control surfaces, but I would rather not spend money on a transmitter. Is there a way to use my cellphone to send inputs to the ESC?

tamuct01

The short answer is no. RC craft need a transmitter to convert stick movements into radio signals (throttle, roll, pitch, yaw, etc.) that are picked up by a Receiver in the craft and converted into electrical signals that drive servos, speed controllers, etc.

Your smartphone may have Wifi and cellular radios, but they don't use the same frequencies and protocols as RC hobby equipment.

The long answer is that some people have built autonomous craft that utilizes all the same hobby radios for takeoff and landing purposes but also have cellular receivers attached to an onboard flight controller that can receive signals from the operator's mobile phone. The cost of creating such a craft is relatively high.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I'd like to make a mighty mini sparrow with a power pack and moveable control surfaces, but I would rather not spend money on a transmitter. Is there a way to use my cellphone to send inputs to the ESC?
cellphones lack 2 things: range, and the feel. atleast in my opinion. you would run out of range way too quickly, and you wouldnt get the feel of controling it, a screen feels the same, but with sticks you can feel the angle. I would reccomend getting an fsi6x. for 50 bucks it is an amazing deal, and you will get a really good transmitter.

mastermalpass

Elite member
yes, but you cant even do mixing, which you need for the sparrow as it has a v tail

There is the option of the V-tail mixer. I used them for all my elevons-only models. I think I was flying with my DX6i for two years before I touched the mixer settings! 😂 But yeah, that's an extra 10 bucks and then you're only 10 short of an i6x lol. Good point!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Buy an actual transmitter. There are guys I know who are part of the San Diego Makers Guild that have wanted me to build a receiver to operate from a cell phone, but as mentioned, they don't have the tactical feel of a radio. I personally don't like the FlySky radios, but I know as soon as I voice my opinion, I'll be flamed for it, so in order not to call down the wrath of the forum, buy the cheapest transmitter you can afford.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
In theory yes. You can use Bluetooth or wifi with very limited range. In reality, it is not very practical because of the short range, laggy performance, and limited functionality. I have Bluetooth and wifi modules hooked to several of my flight controllers, but more for ground control use and diagnostics.

Inq

Elite member
I would definitely follow the advice of the people above! Particularly on the Flysky Fsi6x. I have that one and haven't even come close to using all 10 channels or all the mixing capability.

BUT, to thoroughly answer your question... If you know how to program in C/C++ and web design and want to get involved with microprocessors... you certainly can make a receiver out of a $3 ESP8266 and have it control servos and the ESC from your phone. The range is WiFi, so maybe... a 100 yards maximum (optimistically). Advanced web and/or Android developers can even access the accelerometers in the phone and have the phone act as a joy stick. It is POSSIBLE, but it'd take me tons of hours and probably wreck a few planes along the way... certainly not worth it.

Although not a plane, you can see the responsiveness is good enough with this phone controlled robot. -

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
It is possible to do, and has been done successfully many times. People modify their Parrot Discos to fly via 4G LTE cell towers.

I know Android can speak in "Mavlink" which can be used by many flight controllers, but it requires special equipment.

You will spend an exorbitant amount of money rather than picking up a dedicated radio.