• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is there some kind of a guide on mounting props and selecting spinners/nose cones?

I feel like I've been really messing up in my selection of prop mounts and the choice of nosecones.

Is there some kind of a guide for how this is to be done? It seems to be a haphazard affair for me, and I have learned little. I just kind of cobble something together, which usually does not look very scale, and does not work really well, unless it is a scale part of a foamy.

ETA: Meaning that my nosecones are never straight, or mounted very well. There is some kind of vibration or off-center business going on. Some of it is correctable but it is never permanently fixed. How do you balance something that can't be gripped by both sides?

kdobson83

Pictures tell 1000 words. My spinner has a plate that you put behind the prop, then slide the prop on, then the prop nut, and then the spinner slides over them and screws/snaps on to the back plate. But without pictures and descriptions of the items i personally can't be of assistance. I do know I am using a 2 1/2" spinner on my FT mustang and it looks pretty scale.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Mentor
When I find that the spinner mounting hole is too large for a tight fit on the motor shaft or prop adapter I just dip into my bag of Prop spacers, (the little plastic donuts that you get with each prop you purchase). With a the adapter fitted the spinner cerntres well and the whole thing can then be balanced or its balance checked.

Have fun!

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
At times, getting the spinner right can be frustrating. As mentioned above, making sure everything is centered is key. The next thing is, making sure everything is balanced. I alway balance the prop first, then mount the prop only, and spin up the motor to check for vibration. Of course, it is important to do this in a safe manner. I then repeat the process with the prop and back-plate only. This way, I can determine if the back-plate is the cause of the vibration. Once I get this combo running smoothly, I add the spinner and repeat the process. I have found that tightening the screws evenly helps a lot to prevent wobbling. At times, adjusting the tightness of the screw may fix the problem. This may require several attempts, so be patient.