Is there such a thing as an ESC that is too big?

jd7792

When modifing an electric system on a plane with the intention of increasing the size of the motor is it possible to use an ESC that is too big? For example if I want to change a Bixler's motor up to a 2200Kv motor when the Bixler has a 20Amp ESC as standard, is there a problem with using an ESC that you have lying around that is say 40 or 50 Amp?
Will the ESC cause any problems?:confused:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Shouldn't do... Some big ESCs are default programmed for lower kv motors, however most can be programmed to the correct timing if the default isn't suitable.

jd7792

The exact example I have is that I just bought the Bixler2 KIT VERSION ONLY as I wanted to put either a 2200Kv or a 2600Kv motor on the plane. I have 30 amp ESCs, a 40 amp ESC and a 50 amp ESC, the 50 being wired and soldered straight out of the pack. From all I have read and seen the 2200Kv motor should be ok on the 30amp ESC but Im worried that flying at full throttle for any extended time may be an issue, but if the 50amp ESC will do the job then not only will it keep cooler but its ready to plug in and go!
Unfortunately electronics is my weak point so any and all advise is very welcomed!
Thnx again jd7792!

quorneng

Master member
Apart from its extra weight a bigger ESC is fine. Many people suggest installing an ESC with a rating of twice the actually measured current simply because many manufacturers overstate their ESC's capabilities!
In a Bixler make sure it has a BEC.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
If your goal is to keep things cooler, using a separate UBEC does wonders. You can also cut the heatshrink off from around the heatsink and place it where there's some airflow.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
thats exactly my setup:

Bixler with 2826 2200kv motor with a 50a red brick ... its working for a year now without issues

jd7792

Thanks guys I knew that I could count on you all to set me right! I appreciate the help, I didn't want to do something stupid just to have the plane shrivel up into a ball of molten plastic a couple of hundred meters in the sky.
All the best jd7792!