Is this a good airfoil for a DLG?

I'm trying to design and build an RC sailplane (probably a DLG, actually). Primary design criteria is to have a very high L/D. Is the AH 79-100B airfoil a good one to use? Wingspan is going to be a little over a meter, wing chord about 100mm. I've seen a few others recommended, but none of them seem to have as good of an L/D. Is there some caveat that I'm missing? The airfoil seems highly cambered compared to the others I've seen, and the Cm is a bit high. Thanks for the help!

MH33
MH34
MH32
These are proven performance airfoils. In gliders and racing prop driven planes. Let me know if I can help any further. How do you plane to build this wing? Construction method?

Last edited:
MH33
MH34
MH32
These are proven performance airfoils. In gliders and racing prop driven planes. Let me know if I can help any further. How do you plane to build this wing? Construction method?
Construction method is probably going to be a carbon shell. I have access to some pretty nice resin 3d printers, so I'd use that to make a mold/plug. I chose the foil I did because it had the best L/D at the approximate reynolds number I'm planning on using (~150,000-200,000 at the root). Can you see anything in the polars that would be a red flag not to use the AH? I understand the logic behind going for something proven, but I was wondering if I could go beyond that.

1581792126158.png
According to the data on them, the biggest difference is the pitching moment. I can, however, compensate for that with the stabilizers and CG placement. Other than that, they have similar variations based on AoA, and even almost identical drag, just producing more lift.

As for any other help: I've noticed that most DLGs use a high-mount wing. Is this just for ease of construction, stability, or is there some other reason for it?

Thanks for the help!