Is this battery still ok??

KubKade

Look at the pic below. In a nose dive crash onto asphalt yesterday, this battery took a beating as you can see. No sure exactly how it happened but should I still use it or get rid of it? It’s not puffy and it appears as though only the plastic wrap was torn but idk if it’s safe or not....
D905BB7C-9DB3-40EA-A879-1A8FF8ED94CC.jpeg

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Look at the pic below. In a nose dive crash onto asphalt yesterday, this battery took a beating as you can see. No sure exactly how it happened but should I still use it or get rid of it? It’s. It’s not puffy and it appears as though only the plastic wrap was torn but idk if it’s safe or not.... View attachment 194267

It might very well be ok; I've got a couple of batteries that have been a little beat up from quad crashes where the plastic wrap on it has come off.

That said, there's still a good chance that there's some damage you can't see. Have you tested the battery to see if there's any internal resistance on a particular cell, or if there's any wild variation of charge between the cells (i.e., cell 1 and 3 show at 4.17v, but cell 2 shows at 3.8)? That could indicate damage that's not visible.

If nothing seems to be the problem, then you can just throw a little electrical tape around the wrapper and continue to fly it - but I'd recommend charging it in a Lipo bag or something with some fire resistance, and monitoring it during the charge, to make sure it doesn't start puffing up, just in case.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Look for tiny bumps or pin holes. Check internal resistances to see if they are close and one or more cells is not really higher then the others. If all that is good then you can recover with shrink wrap or tape but keep in mind that adds weight.

What I do with all my packs the day they arrive is take one or two (depending on battery size) sheets of the business card laminating covers and remove the hard plastic part (great for small RC windows) and use the sticky backed clear part to wrap my batteries. So far this has proven extremely successful in protecting my packs in crashes. I can not confirm but I also think the added pressure around the pack helps prevent puffing.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
..... but idk if it’s safe or not....
Your question implies there is such a thing as a safe Lipo.
All Lipos should be charged & stored in a fire resistant place. You should always assume your Lipos will catch fire & think about if anything else that is flammable is near.

That said, your Lipo looks "as safe" as any other Lipo. But no Lipo is safe.

Here is how I made my storage box, any metal box will work. I made individual pockets for each battery & place a plastic bag filed with sand on top. The idea, if one battery goes off, the bag will melt & release the sand. Hopefully sand & drywall will contain the flame and save the rest of my batteries. I used drywall mud instead of glue, use what ever you have on hand.

Fire proof LiPo battery box (with live fire testing) - YouTube

L Edge

Master member
Best if you cycle your battery a couple of times where you charge and discharge the battery. Notice the individual cell voltage after each cycle and see if it is different. Please cycle it in an area so if the battery smokes /flames, no one/building is hurt or damaged.

Don't take chances if you are not sure. Dispose of it properly according to the directions.